This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Initial release||October 28, 2005|
18.104.22.168 / February 6, 2008
|Operating system||Linux/FreeBSD (or any platform that wine supports) + Wine|
|Platform||Linux/Mac OS X|
IEs4Linux is a free and open source script that allows a user to run Internet Explorer (IE) using Wine. It is possible to install Internet Explorer versions 5, 5.5, and 6, along with partial functionality of IE7 (the layout engine was loaded into the IE6 interface, which works well enough to demonstrate how the target page looks in IE7).
This application is oriented towards web developers: it allows users of non-Windows operating systems to view their web pages in a similar manner to how they look on Windows and user who need to use web applications targeted to IE users.
Version 22.214.171.124 does not work out-of-the-box on newer Wine and KDE versions. The solution is to create a symlink with
sudo ln -sv /usr/bin/winecfg /usr/bin/wineprefixcreate
and then run
./ies4linux with the
--no-gui command line option.
- David Pendell (September 18, 2008) IEs4Linux lets you install Internet Explorer under Linux, Linux.com
- Fernando Cassia, (September 26, 2006) "IE for Linux" hack offers one more reason not to boot Windows: First INQpressions Foolproof Wine installer script made in Brazil, The Inquirer
- Rickford Grant, Ubuntu for Non-Geeks: A Pain-Free, Project-Based, Get-Things-Done Guidebook, 3rd ed., No Starch Press, 2008, ISBN 1-59327-180-8, p. 169
Notes and references
- "Index of /ies4linux/downloads". IEs4Linux.
- IEs4Linux website Archived 2012-07-25 at the Wayback Machine
- "Supporting IE9 on Linux". IEs 4 Linux News. IEs4Linux. January 5, 2011.
- "How to Install IEs4Linux under Wine in Ubuntu 12.04".
- "IEs4Linux 126.96.36.199 fixes blank screen bug". IEs 4 Linux News. IEs4Linux. February 6, 2008. : IEs4Linux was not mentioned on the blog since this article.
- "Installing IEs4Linux on Ubuntu". : Note in the top says "I'm retiring this tutorial, because IEs4Linux appears to be no longer maintained."
|This Web-software-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|