|Founded||September 20, 1900|
|League||Division 1 Norra|
|2019||Division 2 Norrland, 1st (Promoted)|
IFK Luleå was originally founded in the year 1900, but went dormant after some years. In 1920, the sports club IK Gyltzau won the Norrbotten district championship in bandy and this club was then renamed as a revived IFK Luleå, which continued to play bandy for many years. In 1932 and 1934 the bandy district championship was won again, now under the IFK name.
IFK Luleå played one season in the Allsvenskan in 1971, the top-tier of Swedish football, but after a promising start their stay was short-lived as they were relegated at the end of the season. In the late 1980s and most of the 1990s the club enjoyed their heyday by playing in Division 1 Norra, which at that time was the second tier of Swedish football. Over the last decade IFK Luleå have been competing in the Division 2 Norrland which is now the fourth tier of the Swedish football league system. For 4 consecutive seasons between 2006 and 2009 they have experienced the frustration of finishing in second position and consequently missing out on promotion.
In 2010 under new coach Fredrik Waara did they finally finish in first place and receive promotion to Division 1 Norra where they finished in tenth place during the next two seasons.
Season to season
In recent seasons IFK Luleå have had the following average attendances:
* Attendances are provided in the Publikliga sections of the Svenska Fotbollförbundet website.
- Division 1 Norra:
- Runners-up (2): 1991, 1992
- Eric Sköld (ed.): Boken om bandy, Uppsala: Bygd och Folk Förlag (1948), pp. 360-2 (in Swedish)
- "Kontaktuppgifter och tävlingar – Norrbottens Fotbollförbund – Svenskfotboll.se". Retrieved 2011-01-12.
- "GAIS – Lagfacta – IFK Luleå". Archived from the original on 2015-03-23. Retrieved 2010-09-10.
- "Norrland - Division 2 – Fotbollsserier 2010 – Fotboll – everysport.com". Retrieved 2010-09-16.
- "Sweden Final Tables – Clas Glenning". Archived from the original on 2010-07-31. Retrieved 2010-09-16.
- "Kontaktuppgifter och tävlingar – Svenska Fotbollförbundet – svenskfotboll.se". Retrieved 2010-11-14.