This article needs to be updated.(April 2018)
This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (April 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
S&P 500 Component
|Headquarters||London , United Kingdom|
|Lance Uggla (Chairman & CEO) |
|Revenue||US$ 3.6 billion (2017)|
|US$ 524.2 million (2017)|
|US$ 416.9 million (2017)|
|Total assets||US$ 14.554 billion (2017)|
|Total equity||US$ 8.004 billion (2017)|
Number of employees
Cambridge Energy Research Associates, Global Insight, Jane's Information Group, Carfax, Inc.|
Prime Publications Limited
John S. Herold, Inc.
The company's growth strategy has included the acquisition of several companies of information and expert industry, many dating back to the late 1700s and 1800s.
On March 21, 2016, IHS (NYSE: IHS), then based in Englewood, CO and Markit (NASDAQ: MRKT), a financial services firm headquartered in London, announced the signing of a definitive agreement under which the companies combined an all-share merger of equals. Based on the closing prices of IHS and Markit's common stock on March 18, 2016, the implied equity value of the transaction was estimated to be more than $13 billion USD. Upon completion of the merger, the combined company was renamed IHS Markit and the headquarters moved from Englewood to London, UK.
IHS was in business since 1959 and became a publicly traded company on the New York Stock Exchange in 2005. Markit was formed in 2003 to provide the first independent pricing service for credit default swaps (CDS). The firm expanded rapidly to serve the data and technology needs of the OTC derivatives market and added CDS reference data, CDS indexes and derivatives valuations to its offering. Within ten years, the firm became a diversified, global provider of financial information services, which included pricing and valuations, indexes, post-trade management services for syndicated loans and OTC derivatives, software, and services covering portfolio management, financial risk analytics and enterprise data management, as well as managed services to streamline financial industry operations and compliance with financial industry regulation.
Together, these services helped capital markets’ firms enhance transparency, reduce risk and improve operational efficiency. At the time of its initial public offering (IPO) in 2014, Markit had more than 3,000 institutional customers globally, including banks, hedge funds, asset managers, accounting firms, regulators, corporations, exchanges, and central banks. The firm was organized into three divisions: 1) Information: Provided enriched content comprising pricing and reference data, indices and valuation and trading services across multiple asset classes and geographies through both direct and third-party distribution channels. Information division products and services are used for independent valuations, research, trading, and liquidity and risk assessments. 2) Processing: Provided trade processing solutions globally for over-the-counter (“OTC”) derivatives, foreign exchange (“FX”) and syndicated loans. Trade processing services enable buy-side and sell-side firms to confirm transactions rapidly, which increases efficiency by optimizing post-trade workflow, reducing risk, complying with reporting regulations and improving connectivity. 3) Solutions: Provided configurable enterprise software platforms, managed services and hosted custom web solutions. These were targeted at a broad range of financial services industry participants, to help customers capture, organize, process, display and analyze information, manage risk and meet regulatory requirements.
IHS Markit has acquired several companies over the years, including:
Significant IHS Markit acquisitions:
- September 26, 2017 - automotiveMastermind Inc., a leading provider of predictive analytics and marketing automation for the automotive industry.
- September 26, 2017 - Macroeconomic Advisers, an independent research firm widely recognized as one of the most respected forecasters of the US economy.
- August 03, 2018 - Ipreo, Leading Software Solutions and Data Provider in Global Capital Markets.
Significant IHS acquisitions:
- 2004 - IHS purchases CERA – Cambridge Energy Research Associates, a company founded by Pulitzer Prize-winning author Dan Yergin.
- 2006 - IHS purchases GeoPlus the company that had PETRA Software for doing Geologic interpretations.
- 2007 - IHS purchases John S. Herold, who has detailed information on the Valuation, Strategy, and Performance of over 350 publicly traded companies as well as the most comprehensive transaction database covering the upstream Exploration and Production.
- 2007 - IHS purchases Global Insight, the world's largest economics organization, serving more than 3,800 clients in industry, finance, and government worldwide, with revenues of over $95 million (*in 2006) and employing more than 600 economists and other staff in 23 offices in 13 countries.
- 2007 – IHS purchases Jane's Information Group, a global information provider to the aerospace and aero-defense industries and to government agencies. Jane's publishes the renowned Jane's Fighting Ships and Jane's Defence Weekly.
- 2007 – IHS purchases McCloskey Group, a leading coal markets research firm. .
- 2008 – Prime Publications Limited, which owns Fairplay magazine and 50 percent of Lloyd's Register-Fairplay Limited, a leading source of global maritime information.
- 2009 – the remaining 50 percent of Lloyd's Register-Fairplay was acquired from Lloyd's Register The division was renamed, IHS Fairplay.
- November 2, 2010 – Technology research specialist iSuppli and London-based media research company Screen Digest for $95m.
- April 18, 2011 – Market intelligence company ODS-Petrodata 
- November 11, 2011 – Energy Consultants Purvin & Gertz.
- March 22, 2012 – IMS Research 
- April 5, 2013 – Fekete Associates, reservoir engineering software, and services company.
- June 20, 2013 – PFC Energy, a global consulting firm specializing in the oil and gas industry.
- July 15, 2013 – R.L. Polk & Company, owner of Carfax; information and analytics provider for the Automotive industry.
- November 6, 2014 – DisplaySearch and Solarbuzz.
- November 11, 2014 – JOC Group (the Journal of Commerce), the World’s Leading Supplier of U.S. Seaborne Import and Export Trade Data 
- December 16, 2014 - Infonetics, an international market research firm that serves the global communications technology market 
- April 20, 2015 – RootMetrics, an industry leader in wireless network analytics company
- February 10, 2016 - Oil Price Information Service (OPIS), one of the world's most comprehensive sources for petroleum pricing and news information.
Significant Markit acquisitions:
- May 27, 2008 – Swapswire, an electronic trade confirmation network for the OTC derivatives market.
- July 28, 2008 – FCS, a leading provider of portfolio management software and services to the syndicated loan market, including the Wall Street Office family of products.
- October 30, 2009 – ClearPar, an automated syndicated loan operations platform acquired from FIS.
- April 2, 2012 – Data Explorers Group, a leading provider of global securities lending data.
- June 1, 2012 – Cadis Software Ltd., a leading provider of global enterprise data management software.
- January 13, 2014 – thinkFolio Ltd., a leading portfolio management software company.
- August 12, 2015 - CoreOne Technologies, a leading provider of regulatory reporting, index management, data management and prime brokerage services to financial institutions.
Lance Uggla became Chairman & CEO of the company after Jerre L. Stead's retirement.
- "IHS Markit - History". Ihsmarkit.com. Retrieved 2018-04-16.
- "IHS Markit - Locations". Ihsmarkit.com. Retrieved 2018-04-16.
- "About Us". ihsmarkit.com. Retrieved 2018-04-16.
- "IHS Careers".
We are over 14,000 professional thought leaders, subject matter experts, analysts and consultants from 34 countries who see the world through an entrepreneurial lens.
- Harden, Mark (11 July 2016). "IHS, Markit shareholders OK $13B merger". Denver Business Journal. Retrieved 13 July 2016.
- "Headquartered in London, IHS Markit is committed to sustainable, profitable growth". Retrieved 2018-04-17.
- "IHS Markit Rings Opening Bell at Nasdaq, Unveils New Logo - IHS Online Newsroom". press.ihs.com. Retrieved 10 April 2018.
- "IHS Acquires McCloskey Group, a Leading Coal Markets Research Firm". Press.ihs.com. Retrieved 15 January 2015.
- "IHS All News Releases – IHS Online Pressroom". Ihs.com. Retrieved 15 January 2015.
- "IHS Acquires iSuppli in '$95m Deal'". mrweb. Retrieved 3 November 2010.
- "IHS Acquires ODS-Petrodata". Press.ihs.com. Retrieved 15 January 2015.
- "IHS Acquires IMS Research". Press.ihs.com. Retrieved 15 January 2015.
- "UPDATE 1-IHS buys Washington consultants PFC Energy". Reuters. Retrieved 15 January 2015.
- "IHS Completes Deal to Acquire DisplaySearch, a Leader in Display Technology Research, and Solarbuzz, of Fast-Growing Solar Market". Press.ihs.com. Retrieved 15 January 2015.
- "IHS Announces Agreement to Acquire JOC Group, world's leading supplier of U.S. Seaborne Import and Export Trade Data". Press.ihs.com. Retrieved 15 January 2015.
- "Mobile network analytics firm RootMetrics acquired by IHS". geekwire.com. 7 April 2015. Retrieved 22 September 2015.
- "IHS Completes Acquisition of Oil Price Information Service (OPIS)". press.ihs.com. 11 February 2016. Retrieved 10 June 2016.