III Air Support Command
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the 3d Air Support Command disbanded in March 1942. For the III Air Support Command established in May 1942, see III Tactical Air Command.
|III Air Support Command|
|Branch||United States Army Air Force|
|Type||Command and Control|
|Part of||Third Air Force|
|Engagements||World War II|
Trained air force organizations for support operations and assisted in training ground forces. Also conducted antisubmarine patrols.
- Constituted as III Air Support Command on 21 August 1941
- Activated on 1 September 1941
- Disbanded on 16 March 1942.
- Third Air Force, 1 September 1942 – 16 March 1942
- Various observation and light bombardment organizations
- 416th Bombardment Group (Light)
- Maurer, Maurer, ed. (1983) . Air Force Combat Units of World War II (PDF) (reprint ed.). Washington, DC: Office of Air Force History. ISBN 0-912799-02-1. LCCN 61060979.