Indian Institute of Management Ahmedabad
This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (July 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Motto in English
|Progress Through the Application of Knowledge|
|Type||Public business school|
|Chairman||Kumar Mangalam Birla|
Ahmedabad, Gujarat, India|
Indian Institute of Management Ahmedabad (IIM Ahmedabad or IIMA) is a public business school located in Ahmedabad, Gujarat, India. It was the second Indian Institute of Management (IIM) to be established, after IIM Calcutta.
Established in 1961, the institute offers post graduate diploma programmes in management and agri-business management, a fellowship programme and a number of executive training programmes. The Institute's founding director was Ravi J. Mathhai. Other notable founding figures were the Indian physicist Vikram Sarabhai and Indian businessman Kasturbhai Lalbhai.
- 1 History
- 2 Campus
- 3 Academics
- 4 Research centers
- 5 Plagiarism
- 6 Rankings
- 7 Student life
- 8 Events
- 9 Placements
- 10 Impact
- 11 People
- 12 In popular culture
- 13 See also
- 14 References
- 15 External links
IIM Ahmedabad was established on 11 December 1961 with the active support of the Government of India, the Government of Gujarat, Harvard Business School, and prominent members of Indian industry. The physicist Vikram Sarabhai and businessman Kasturbhai Lalbhai, both natives of Ahmedabad, played pivotal roles in setting up the institute. The institute's Kasturbhai Lalbhai Management Development Centre and a Kasturbhai Lalbhai Chair in Entrepreneurship are named in his honour. The management educator Ravi J. Matthai and several other Ahmedabad-based industrialists also played a major role in its creation.
The IIMA campus is situated across 106 acres in Vastrapur, Ahmedabad. The campus houses the academic blocks, faculty offices, student and faculty accommodation, the Dr. Vikram Sarabhai Library, the R.J. Mathai Auditorium, the Louis Kahn Plaza, the International Management Development Centre, the Kasturbhai Lalbhai Management Development Centre, the Centre for Innovation, Incubation and Entrepreneurship, sport facilities, several food outlets and merchandise stores.
In 1962, the IIMA board came to a formal agreement with the National Institute of Design (NID) for the latter to undertake the task of designing the IIM Ahmedabad campus. The National Institute of Design appointed American architect Louis Kahn and B.V. Doshi as architects for the project. Kahn worked on the IIMA project from 1962 until his death in 1974.
Kahn's architecture is characterized by the use of exposed red bricks, the extensive use of geometric shapes in hostels and academic blocks and vast corridors outside the classrooms. A number of tourists and architecture students visit the campus every year.
Vikram Sarabhai Library
The library is named after the institute’s founder, renowned physicist Vikram Sarabhai. The library was instituted in 1962 and houses over 193000 books and has online subscriptions to greater than 24000 journals. The library provides access to 100+ digital databases relating to scholarly, company and industry information to the IIMA community. The library is located at the Louis Kahn Plaza. In year 2016, Tata Consultancy Services partnered with the university with a grant of ₹20 crore (US$2.9 million) to restore the library for digital learning and collaboration.
Students are provided single room accommodation in the 33 fully furnished dormitories spread across the campus. Married students can opt to live with their family in married students' hostels. Stay in dormitories is mandatory for students. Basic amenities including washing machines, refrigerators and TVs are available at each dorm.
Like other IIMs, IIM Ahmedabad currently offers post graduate diplomas in management, not degrees, pending the approval of the Indian Institute of Management Bill, 2017. These include two-year full-time programmes (PGP), one-year full-time residential executive programme (PGPX), and ePost Graduate Programme (ePGP) in Management. IIM Ahmedabad also offers doctoral level fellowship programmes. The institute conducts a number of executive education and faculty development programmes.
IIMA has affiliations with 78 leading business schools across the world. In 2015-16, 140 students from IIMA spent a semester at affiliate business schools across North America, Europe, Africa, Australia and the Asia Pacific region, while 87 students from foreign colleges spent a semester at IIMA for the same period. The Institute has a Dual Degree programme arrangement with a few business schools such as HEC Paris, Bocconi University, ESSEC Business School in Paris, University of Cologne and ESCP Europe. Some of the students going on exchange receive scholarships from the Institute, DAAD Germany, the French Government and participating schools.
The university has the following sector or mission oriented centres which are staffed by faculty members:
- Centre for Innovation, Incubation & Entrepreneurship (CIIE) - It was originally set up in 2002 as a research institution, with a grant pool from Government of Gujarat, the Department of Science and Technology (DST) and IIM-A. It now operates as a section 8 non profit company under Companies Act 2013. The centre supports 40-60 ventures every year through its accelerator programmes, incubation spaces and seed investment programme. The centre has about 20,000 sq ft of incubation space in Ahmedabad, 30,000 sq ft in Pune and is in the process of setting up another one in Pune spread over 10,000 sq ft. The center also has a Young IIMAvericks Fellowship/Internship Programme for batch of graduating students who decide to take the route of entrepreneurship. In 2015, CIIE was invited to co-host the first India-US Startup Konnect in the Silicon Valley to showcase the strengths of India's startup ecosystem. In 2017, Securities and Exchange Board of India gave approval to Bharat Innovation Fund to operate as a Venture Capital Fund and also secured Category – I Venture Capital Fund status.
- India Gold Policy Centre
- Centre for e-Governance
- Centre for Gender Equity, Diversity and Inclusivity
- Centre for Infrastructure Policy and Regulation
- Centre for Management of Health Services
- Centre for Retailing
- IIMA-Idea Telecom Centre of Excellence
In the 1960s the institute's first faculty dismissal took place for plagiarising verbatim an article from a German journal which that faculty member had access to.
On 29 June 1992 a student complained to the Director that a textbook authored by Institute professors had been simply lifted from three other books. On enquiry a Committee found copying without acknowledgment of the source from least 5 foreign books and some other Indian books.
In the 3rd such instance of alleged plagiarism, around 21 March 2012, 5 IIM-A professors were accused of plagiarism a fortnight after the Gujarat High Court had directed a fresh inquiry into earlier plagiarism allegations. Two of the professors holding key posts had offered to step down until the enquiry was completed. In July 2012 IIM sources claimed the inquiry report exonerating some of these professors was deliberately withheld (and not formally placed on the Institute records) since three of the four professors who were accused of plagiarism were potential candidates for the director's post and could be considered only after the allegations are found to be baseless.
|Business – international|
|Financial Times (MiM) (2016)||16|
|Financial Times (MBA) (2017)||29|
|QS (MBA) (2018)||49|
|QS (MBA-Asia,Aus,NZ) (2018)||7|
|QS (EMBA-Asian) (2017)||13|
|The Economist (2017)||92|
|Business/Management – India|
|Business Today (2016)||1|
|Outlook India (2016)||1|
Worldwide, the Financial Times has ranked IIM Ahmedabad #16 in its Masters in Management Ranking 2016 and #29 in its Global MBA Ranking 2017. The QS Global 250 MBA Rankings 2018 ranked it 49 in the world and 7th in Asia, Australia and New Zealand. The QS Global 100 EMBA Rankings by Region 2017 ranked it 13 in the Asia-Pacific region, the top institute in India for both rankings. It was ranked #92 by The Economist in its 2016 Full-time B-school ranking, the only institute in India to be ranked.
In India, IIM Ahmedabad was ranked first among management schools in India by the National Institutional Ranking Framework (NIRF) in 2018. It was also ranked first in India by Business Today's "India's best B-schools 2016" and Outlook India's "Top 100 Management Schools" of 2016.
The Student Affairs' Council (SAC) is the umbrella student body at IIMA that helps in the administration of the 40+ clubs and committees on campus.
Confluence is the annual international management symposium hosted by IIM Ahmedabad. This event was started in 1999. The primary events at Confluence include Masterplan, the business plan competition; a business quiz event; a business simulation event and a business strategy simulation event. The speaker series at Confluence has seen eminent speakers in the past including Ratan Tata, Mukesh Ambani, Kiran Bedi, Sunil Bharti Mittal, Chandrababu Naidu, Rakesh Sharma etc.
Chaos is the annual cultural festival of IIMA. Its yearly editions have been centred on themes like diversity, colour or going green. The cultural festivities draws footfalls of around 50,000 visitors from Ahmedabad over four days and participation from institutes across the country. ProNites are especially a huge success with a large number of top class artists coming and performing on one stage. In the past, Chaos has witnessed musical performances by Jagjit Singh, Amit Trivedi, Raghu Dixit, Mohit Chauhan and Shankar Ehsaan Loy to name a few.
Insight is the annual Market Research festival of IIMA and is one of the oldest events organised by the institute.
ConneXions is the event for the PGPX program at IIMA. It is a knowledge summit that epitomizes the vibrancy and buzz of a business school. ConneXions has seen a lot of eminent speakers from the industry including Suresh Prabhu, Kiran Karnik, Ramaswami Balasubramaniam, Ram Sewak Sharma, Tamal Bandyopadhyay, Shyam Srinivasan etc.
The Red Brick Summit
This section has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The Red Brick Summit (TRBS) is the flagship management symposium of IIMA. It had its inaugural edition in 2017 from September 29 to October 2. The inaugural edition of IIM Ahmedabad’s flagship management symposium The Red Brick Summit (TRBS) is when tens of thousands of people from Gujarat and various parts of the country converge on the iconic campus to experience the four day student-led event that is set to be the biggest of its kind in the institute’s history. The event begins on September 29, 2017 and culminates on October 2, 2017. The theme of Challenge, Innovate, Redefine aims to succinctly capture the dynamism and constant flux in which we live today, whether it be the organisational or individual level, and transcends national boundaries and cultures. Presented by Title Sponsor TATA Trusts and Associate Sponsors Motilal Oswal, European Union and CIIE, TRBS features a total of 20 business competitions (the preliminary rounds of which had already begun few weeks ago), 14 workshops, more than a dozen speaker sessions and panel discussions, and a number of activities, performances and exhibitions that appeal to all age groups. The TRBS Workshops series is a great opportunity for participants to explore their interests and gain valuable insights from the biggest names in the industry. Each workshop has been tailored to ensure maximum interaction between the presenter and participants, covering a fascinating breadth of subject matter. From technology companies at the forefront of disruption in Amazon and Uber, to the creative ones like Mad Over Marketing and Ogilvy & Mather; from firms promoting sustainability and social responsibility like title sponsor TATA Trusts’, to ones promoting financial literacy like NCDEX, the line-up of workshops ensures there is something of interest to everybody. Continuing in the same vein, the Speakers series’ will be replete with prominent personalities and opinionated individuals, all of whom have had a significant influence on society. The speaker series will kick-start with the opening session by the keynote speaker, Smt. Smriti Irani, Hon’ble Union Cabinet Minister, Textiles and Information & Broadcasting, GOI. Smt. Poonam Mahajan, Member of Parliament, Mumbai North Central, Mr Deep Kalra, Founder and CEO of MakeMyTrip and a well-known alumnus of the institute, Mr. R. S. Sodhi, M.D., GCMMF Ltd. (Amul), Dr. Harsh Kumar Bhanwala, Chairman of NABARD, Ms. Anajana Ghosh, Director of Marketing at Bisleri, Dr A. S. Kiran Kumar, Chairman of ISRO and Ms. Sagarika Ghose, journalist and news anchor are just few out of over a dozen guests that will be gracing our campus and speaking on a myriad of topics. There will also be panel discussions organised that focus on specific sectors such as ICT, Energy, Consulting and Banking/Financial Services.
Not to be typified as an event focused solely on indoor learning; TRBS will also consist of a full line-up of activities that can be enjoyed under the evening skies. Kaleido, our signature flea market, is a potpourri of designers displaying their wares such as ornaments and apparels in a fun, musical setting within the hallowed walls of our campus. Disguised Marketing, a similarly successful feature in past editions of Insight, is set to continue under the TRBS umbrella. Also in the mix will be a fresh initiative termed Innovation Playground. It is designed as a platform for young business leaders with an entrepreneurial mindset to bring their ideas to reality and receive financial support from the corporate bigwigs who will be in attendance. An emphasis on the finer cultural elements will round off TRBS festivities. Renowned play Yugpurush – Mahatma Ke Mahatma produced by Shrimad Rajchandra Mission Dharampur will be enacted live at the RJM Auditorium on the eve of Gandhi Jayanti. With the Navratri season in full swing, the IIMA Cultural Committee has organised Dandiya Nights 2017 under the awe-inspiring evening skies at the LKP. Other student managed clubs such as Footloose, Music Club, Finesse and Stargazers will likewise be making an impact under the TRBS Nites segment, which promises to be an evening full of entertaining performances and noteworthy activities.
In addition to the above, the Institute organises: Amaethon, an international food, agribusiness and rural summit; Convergence, a management conference organised by the Armed Forces Programme; two sports fests - Sangharsh (on a rotational basis with IIM Bangalore, Calcutta and Lucknow) and Shaurya.
The placement process at IIM Ahmedabad is a student driven process that institutionalises placements for the entire batch. The Placement Committee elected by the students liaisons between the Institute administration, students and recruiters. Placements for the PGP and PGP-FABM courses are characterised by two phases - summer placements for the first-year batch and final placements for the graduating batch. The placement process for the graduating is conducted in two stages. The first is the laterals process where firms interview students with prior work experience and offer them mid-level managerial positions. The second stage is the final placement process. Companies from multiple sectors across different geographies hire candidates for a wide range of functions 
IIMA has been instrumental in influencing the business landscape of the country, with the highest proportion of BSE 500 CEOs (who have an MBA) coming from IIMA. More than 400 students provide live consulting for businesses through the Forum for Industry Interaction annually. 84 projects were undertaken by students in 2015.
A key study by IIMA on salaries in the private and public sector helped shape the 7th Central Pay Commission’s recommendations. Professors from IIMA have been appointed to eminent panels and committees, responsible for shaping key policies, by the government. IIMA’s Gold Policy Centre is in the process of publishing a paper on the government’s Gold Monetization Policy. The Punjab Prisons Department has signed an MoU with IIMA for a prison modernization project. The Central Vigilance Commission has asked IIMA to come up with India’s first index to measure perceptions of graft and corruption, based on the Corruption Perceptions Index of Transparency International. Key studies on state health indexes have also been released by IIMA, helping to highlight the progress made on the same by various states across the country.
Through its Executive Education programs, IIMA will train key senior officers from Chhattisgarh, as well as state Chief Minister Raman Singh, focussing on key management practices and project management. Officers from the Delhi Jal Board will also undergo training on Project and Risk Management. An MoU has also been signed between the institute and the Delhi Govt to train the principals of all 1024 schools run by it, with the training to be conducted by the RTE Resource Centre.
The Right to Education Resource Centre (RTE-RC), started by a group of students under the guidance of Prof. Ankur Sarin, helps parents fill out forms and get children admitted under the RTE Act, while also raising awareness about the issue of underutilization of the Act. The Centre received 1800 application in its first year of operation, raising the number of children admitted under RTE from 30 in 2013 to nearly 600 in 2014.
Launched in 2004, Prayaas impacts the lives underprivileged students by directly providing them a higher quality of education through specially appointed teachers, with classes running out of the New Campus, as also through funding drives that enable students to move to better schools, in a hope for better education and better lives. The IIMA community actively helps the children with their homework and preparation for examinations. Additionally, the children use the campus' facilities and participate in activities like painting, dance, crafts, etc.
IIMA, in association with the Wagh Bakri Group, set up an initiative called SMILE (Student Mediated Initiative for Learning to Excel) to educate underprivileged kids wherein students will conduct classes in their free time. This has been piloted in a space provided by the Ahmedabad Municipal Corporation (AMC) under a flyover near the IIM-A campus.
19th Governor of the Reserve Bank of India C. Rangarajan was a faculty Professor of economics here and was later awarded the title of Honorary Fellow of IIM-A in 1997. N. Ravichandaran who is currently a Professor, previously served as 4th director of Indian Institute of Management Indore. Abhishek Mishra was a faculty member for six years, before leaving to become a member of Samajwadi Party and an elected MLA of Uttar Pradesh. Anil Kumar Gupta was a professor who was awarded Padma Shri for his contributions to management education.
In popular culture
- Jahar Saha, Institute Director 1998-2002
- "Kumar Mangalam Birla appointed as new chairman of IIM-A". The Indian Express. 23 October 2016.
- "Professor Errol D'Souza appointed the new director of IIM Ahmedabad". The Economic Times. Retrieved 31 January 2018.
- Swati Garg (12 May 2011). "Q&A: Shekhar Chaudhury, Director, IIM Calcutta". Business Standard. Kolkata: Business Standard Limited.
- "Programmes-IIMA". iima.ac.in. Retrieved 23 July 2012.
- Nair, Chandu (2011-09-11). "How India's best-known B-school got built". The Hindu Business Line. Retrieved 2017-11-08.
- The IIMA Story by Praful Anubhai, page
- "Key facts-IIMA". iima.ac.in. Retrieved 23 July 2012.
- "Ravi Matthai: a rank outsider who became a pillar at IIM-A". Indian Express. Retrieved 23 July 2012.
- "How India's best-known B-school got built". Business Line. Retrieved 3 March 2012.
- "IIMA Campus". Retrieved 10 February 2017.
- "Make the Most of Brick". Business Standard. Retrieved 5 February 2017.
- "TCS Foundation to restore IIM-Ahmedabad library with Rs 20 crore grant". Indian Express Limited. Retrieved 20 January 2017.
- "Cabinet Approves IIM Bill". Indian Express. Retrieved 4 February 2017.
- "Programme - IIMA". www.iima.ac.in. Retrieved 23 November 2017.
- "About PGPX - IIMA". www.iima.ac.in. Retrieved 23 November 2017.
- "ePost Graduate Programme: Indian Institute of Management Ahmedabad". Indian Institute of Management Ahmedabad. Retrieved 22 January 2018.
- "FPM". Retrieved 10 February 2017.
- "IIMA Student Exchange Programmes". Retrieved 10 February 2017.
- "Research Centres: IIMA". Indian Institute of Management Ahmedabad. Retrieved 22 November 2017.
- "Start-up Factory No.1". Business Today (India). Retrieved 28 December 2017.
- "CIIE, IIM-Ahmedabad: centre supports 60 ventures every year". The Hindu Business Line. Retrieved 28 December 2017.
- "IIMA Annual Report 2015-16". Indian Institute of Management Ahmedabad. Retrieved 21 February 2018.
- "PM Narendra Modi to address India-US Start-Up Konnect 2015". The Economic Times. Retrieved 21 February 2018.
- "Narendra Modi to Address the India-US startups event in US". The Financial Express. Retrieved 21 February 2018.
- "IIM Ahmedabad's CIIE get approval from Sebi for Bharat fund". The Economic Times. Retrieved 28 December 2017.
- The IIMA Story - Prafull Anubhai - Google Books. Books.google.co.in. 2011-12-16. ISBN 9788184002775. Retrieved 18 February 2014.
- "Indian Institute Of Management vs Ukakant Shrivastva on 16 March, 2001". Indiankanoon.org. Retrieved 18 February 2014.
- Niyati Rana (12 March 2012). "Ahmedabad institutes find it tough to fight plagiarism | Latest News & Updates at". Dnaindia.com. Retrieved 18 February 2014.
- "5 more IIMA profs accused of plagiarism, News - Latest - Ahmedabad Mirror". Ahmedabadmirror.com. Retrieved 18 February 2014.
- "Accused IIMA profs deny allegations, News - City - Ahmedabad Mirror". Ahmedabadmirror.com. 22 March 2012. Retrieved 18 February 2014.
- Dayananda Yumlembam, TNN 29 March 2012, 02.41AM IST (29 March 2012). "IIM-A profs offer to give up key posts - Times Of India". Articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com. Retrieved 18 February 2014.
- Niyati Rana (21 July 2012). "Is plagiarism charge aimed at IIMA's director hopefuls? | Latest News & Updates at". Dnaindia.com. Retrieved 18 February 2014.
- Niyati Rana (30 January 2012). "Plagiarism plagues Ahmedabad's institutes | Latest News & Updates at". Dnaindia.com. Retrieved 18 February 2014.
- "Masters in Management 2016". Financial Times. 2016. Retrieved 18 June 2017.
- "Global MBA Rankings 2017". Financial Times. 2017. Retrieved 18 June 2017.
- "QS Global MBA Rankings 2018: Global". QS Quacquarelli Symonds Limited. 2017.
- "QS Global MBA Rankings 2018: Asia, Australia & New Zealand". QS Quacquarelli Symonds Limited. 2017.
- "QS Global 100 EMBA Rankings by Region 2017: Asia-Pacific". QS Quacquarelli Symonds Limited. 2017. Retrieved 18 June 2017.
- "Full time MBA ranking". The Economist. 2017. Retrieved 18 June 2017.
- "National Institutional Ranking Framework 2018 (Management)". National Institutional Ranking Framework. Ministry of Human Resource Development. 2018. Retrieved 3 April 2018.
- "India's best B-schools 2016: Full List". Business Today. 4 December 2016. Retrieved 29 June 2017.
- "Fits And Start-Ups: The A+ Schools". Outlook India. 3 October 2016.
- "Leadership lessons at IIM-A's 13th Confluence". Times of India. Retrieved 23 July 2012.
- "IIM-Lucknow wins 1st prize at 'Confluence 2011'". Times of India. Retrieved 23 July 2012.
- "Babu demanded bribe for Delhi posting: Kiran Bedi". Times of India. Retrieved 20 August 2012.
- "Confluence: Stars touch down at IIM-A campus". Economic Times. 26 November 2005. Retrieved 20 August 2012.
- "IIM-Ahmedabad all set to rock with 'Colourful Chaos 2012'". Ahmedabad Mirror. Retrieved 23 July 2012.
- "Chaos ends at IIM-A". Times of India. Retrieved 23 July 2012.
- "Iron Maiden show to intensify IIM-A Chaos". Times of India. Retrieved 23 July 2012.
- "IIMA's Insight to rock for first time this year". Daily News & Analysis. Retrieved 23 July 2012.
- "IIM Ahmedabad's 'The Red Brick Summit' To Kick Off From September 29". NDTV.com. Retrieved 2017-11-08.
- "The B-school education of top Indian CEOs". Live Mint. Retrieved 9 February 2017.
- "Students of IIMA make inroads into consultancy before career". Economic Times. Retrieved 9 February 2017.
- "Has the 7th Pay Commission narrowed the gap between public and private sector?". Economic Times. Retrieved 9 February 2017.
- "Profile of Monetary Policy Committee Members". Economic Times.
- "IIMA's Gold Policy Centre to present white paper on gold monetization". Business Today. Retrieved 9 February 2017.
- "Punjab ropes in IIMA to modernise prisons". Hindustan Times. Retrieved 9 February 2017.
- "Vigilance Commission plans first ever public perception index on graft". NDTV. Retrieved 9 February 2017.
- "OPPI released IIMA health study index". Retrieved 9 February 2017.
- "Raman Singh Ministers to undergo IIMA training". Times of India. Retrieved 9 February 2017.
- "Delhi Jal Board" (PDF). Retrieved 9 February 2017.
- "IIMA to train Delhi School principals". Ahmedabad Mirror. Retrieved 9 February 2017.
- "Ahmedabad's lessons for RTE success with IIM's resource centre". DNA. Retrieved 9 February 2017.
- "Prayaas". Retrieved 9 February 2017.
- "Now a smile on Ahmedabad's underprivileged kids". Hindu Business Line. Retrieved 9 February 2017.
- "In Their 'A' Days". Business Today. 28 October 2012. Retrieved 10 February 2016.
- Bhuyan, Ragini (10 February 2016). "The B-school education of top Indian CEOs". Live Mint. Retrieved 10 February 2016.
- "PM man listening,autonomy debate rages at IIM-A". The Indian Express. Retrieved 20 January 2018.
- "IIM Indore gets new Director from IIMA". The Pioneer. Retrieved 20 January 2018.
- "I have paid a price to be in politics. I have sacrificed". Rediff.com. Retrieved 26 January 2018.
- "Lucknow switch: How Abhishek Mishra replaced Mulayam man in 5 minutes flat". NDTV. Retrieved 26 January 2018.
- "Padma Shri award conferred on Prof Anil K Gupta - SRISTI". www.sristi.org. Retrieved 30 March 2018.
- "Interview with Professor Anil Kumar Gupta, Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad". Retrieved 24 February 2018.
- Nayar, Lola (3 April 2017). "N.R. Narayana Murthy, Infosys". Outlook India. Retrieved 2 January 2018.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Indian Institute of Management Ahmedabad.|