Indian Institute of Technology Patna
|भारतीय प्रौद्योगिकी संस्थान पटना|
|Motto||विद्यार्थी लभते विद्याम (Vidyárthí Labhathéy Vidyám) Sanskrit|
|Type||Public engineering school|
|Chairman||Dr. Ajai Chowdhry|
|Location||Patna, Bihar, India|
|Campus||501 acres (2.0 km2)|
The Indian Institute of Technology Patna (abbreviated IIT Patna or IITP) is an autonomous institute of education and research in science, engineering and technology located in Patna, India. It is recognized as an Institute of National Importance by the Government of India. IIT Patna is part of National Knowledge Network (NKN) which provides a high speed core networking for all the knowledge related institutions in India to integrate seamlessly all of the scientific community of India.
- 1 About the Logo
- 2 Campus and location
- 3 Academics
- 4 Rankings
- 5 Research
- 6 Collaboration with foreign universities
- 7 Convocation
- 8 Student life and culture
- 9 Placements at IIT Patna
- 10 See also
- 11 References
- 12 External links
About the Logo
The gear wheel in the logo represents technology while the atomic orbitals signify sciences. The sun within them conveys that science subjects are studied at par with technological subjects. The mathematical symbols pi (π) and zero (0) signify the efforts of the great Indian mathematician Aryabhata who hails from the ancient kingdom of Magadha. The saffron and green bands encompassing the logo represent the national flag of India. The Sanskrit Sloka “Vidyaarthee Labhathey Vidyaam” means that knowledge is attained by the one who aspires it.
Campus and location
IIT Patna’s campus is located at Amhara, Bihta, 35 km from Patna at a 501 acres (203 ha) site. The foundation stone of the IIT Patna, Bihta Campus was laid by Kapil Sibal in 2011. IIT Patna started its new session (from July 2015) in its permanent campus located at Bihta. The campus at Bihta was inaugurated by Prime Minister Narendra Modi on 25 July 2015. Earlier, the institute was operating from a temporary 10 acres (4.0 ha) complex in Pataliputra colony, Patna, in buildings which have been renovated and were previously used by the Naveen Government Polytechnic.
Computer Science and Electrical Engineering block (Block 3)
The Department of Electrical Engineering is evolving since the inception of IIT Patna in the year 2008. The major objective of the Department is to impart high quality education and research. The major research areas of the department include Communications, Signal Processing, VLSI, Electric Drives, Power Systems and Power Electronics. The Department has online access to IEL, Science Direct, Springer and other online journals. Software like MATLAB and GAMS are available with the Department in order to accelerate the research. Instructional laboratories for Basic Electronics, Analog Electronics Digital Electronics,Digital Signal Processing, Embedded Systems, VLSI, Electrical Machines, Power Electronics and Power Systems are fully operational.
Tutorial Block/Academic block (Block 9)
All classrooms of this block are equipped with modern audio-visual electronic gadgets. The tutorial building has state-of-the-art laboratories in Computer Science,Physics and Chemistry. It also houses Computer Centre with total 18 GBPS internet connections and adequate server infrastructure. Laboratories in Basic Electronics,Analog Electronics, Digital Electronics, VLSI, Control,Instrumentation and Communication are also located in this building. The building also has a central library, the administrative office, a dispensary, a cafeteria and faculty chambers.
The science block has classrooms, faculty rooms and laboratories for Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics. These include the material science research and optics research facilities of the Physics Department, the chemistry instruments and chemistry research facilities of the Chemistry Department and the computational research facility of the Mathematics Department.
Humanities and Social Sciences/Chemical Engineering block
Mechanical engineering block
The Mechanical Engineering Workshop building houses all the Mechanical Engineering Laboratories, viz. Basic and Conventional Manufacturing Lab, Advanced Manufacturing Lab, CAD/CAM Lab, Dynamics Lab, Fluid Mechanics Lab, Heat and Mass Transfer Lab,Instruments and Control Lab, IC Engines Lab, Material Testing Lab, Metrology and Metallographic Lab, Robotics Lab and Polymer Engineering Lab.
IIT Patna awards Bachelor of Technology degrees in the following disciplines:
- Bachelor of Technology in Computer Science and Engineering
- Bachelor of Technology in Electrical Engineering
- Bachelor of Technology in Mechanical Engineering
- Bachelor of Technology in Civil Engineering
- Bachelor of Technology in Chemical Engineering
Admission to these programs is through the Joint Entrance Examination (JEE), taken by students seeking admission into the IITs after completing 10+2 years of schooling. The Curriculum consists of eight semesters spread over four academic years. A student takes five to six theory courses in addition to laboratory courses in each semester. A student's performance is evaluated based on a credit system. Credits are allotted to each course depending on the number of lecture/tutorial/laboratory hours per week.
IIT Patna postgraduate programs include:
The M.tech program, started in 2012, awards degrees in following disciplines:
- Master of Technology in Mathematics and Computing
- Master of Technology in Nanotechnology
- Master of Technology in Mechatronics
- Master of Technology in Computer Science and Engineering
- Master of technology in Communication Systems Engineering
IIT Patna is the first IIT in the whole IIT system to start a M.tech program in the aforementioned Nanotechnology. Admission to M.tech is through GATE after which an interview is held to screen the shortlisted candidates. Sponsored Candidates are not required to appear in GATE and are directly called for interview on applying for admission to M.Tech Program (if selected).
Started in 2009, Phd degrees are awarded by all the departments. Requirements for admission into the Ph.D. programs include a master's degree and prior academic achievement. Students undergo an interview before gaining admission.
Schools And Centres
The Institute has the following Schools, which conduct research as well as provide education.
School Of Engineering And Technology
- Biochemical Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Computer Science and Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Metallurgical and Materials Engineering
School Of Humanities And Social Sciences
School Of Basic Sciences
|University and college rankings|
|Engineering – India|
|Business – India|
IIT Patna is ranked 10 in National Institutional Ranking Framework published by Ministry of Human Resource Development in April 2016.
The institute has set up many laboratories to conduct research in various disciplines of engineering, pure and applied sciences and humanities on the transit campus itself. Research is carried out by faculty members and research scholars under the guidance of faculty members. Research work is also done at the undergraduate level usually in the fourth year of engineering The Sponsored Research and Industrial Relations Unit (SRIRU) was established in the year 2009 to promote interactive engagement between faculty and sponsoring agencies. The institute has received grants from various sponsoring agencies like Department of Information Technology - Govt. Of India, Department of Biotechnology - Govt. Of India, Defence Research and Development Organisation, Atomic Energy Regulatory Board, Department Of Science And Technology - Govt. Of India, CSIR, Department of Rural Development - Govt. Of India, UNICEF.
Collaboration with foreign universities
To impart quality education and excel in the field of research IIT Patna has collaborated with many foreign universities like National university of Singapore (NUS), University of Houston, Texas (USA),Louisiana State University (USA),University Of Hartford, Connecticut (USA), University Of Missouri, Columbia (USA), University of New South Wales (Australia), University of North Texas-Denton (USA) and University of Saskatchewan (Canada).
The MoU is intended to give opportunities to B. Tech, M.Tech and Ph.D. students and faculty from IIT Patna to go to USA, Australia, Singapore and Canada and develop their research skills and interact with people working in different areas of science and technology.
- The convocation for the first batch of IIT Patna was held on December 23, 2012 when Dr APJ Abdul Kalam awarded the degrees.
- The second convocation was held on October 26, 2013 when President Pranab Mukherjee awarded the degrees.
- The third convocation of IIT Patna was held at the permanent campus in Bihta on 6 August 2015. 325-odd BTech, MTech and PhD students received degrees. Boeing India president Pratyush Kumar was the chief guest on the occasion.
Student life and culture
The students of IIT Patna are accommodated in five hostels: four hostels/blocks for male students which are located adjacent to the campus in a walled compound which includes Basketball, Volleyball, Tennis and Badminton courts. A student gymkhana building is also located in the hostel compound. All the hostels are equipped with common rooms, facilities for indoor games like Table tennis, Carrom etc. Accommodation for female students is provided in rented flats that are within two kilometers distance from the academic area from where conveyance is provided by the institute.(Hourly internal buses)
The medical facilities are provided by the administration to the staff and students through the local Mahavir and Sahyog hospitals and insurance cover through National Insurance. A 24-hour ambulance service is available in the institute as well as hostels in case of emergencies.
Library is well maintained and is very good in ventilation .
The Student Activity Center operates with the following societies:
- IEEE Student Branch IIT-Patna
- Science and Technology Council
- NJACK (Computer Science Club)
- Sparkonics (Electrical Club)
- SCME (Mechanical Club )
- Robotics Club
- ACE (Civil club)
- House Of Socio-Cultural Affairs
- House Of Literature And Fine Arts
- Sports Club
- Bhaktivedanta Club
- Environmental Club
- Student Welfare Club
- Photography Club
- Entrepreneurship Club
- Rural Technology Development Club
Anwesha,the annual techno-cultural fest of Indian Institute of Technology, Patna is held in month of January–February.
Student Activity Center
The Student Activity Center is the nucleus of all student curricular and extracurricular activities. Faculties have been appointed to supervise the work and events conducted by each society.
Workshops and Seminars
Placements at IIT Patna
Training and Placement Cell actively engages in developing relationship with various industrial organizations and employers. The cell organizes summer internships for per-final year students and placement activities for final years students. The highest package offered till date is ₹1.8 crore (US$270,000), by Google. In 2013, students secured an average annual package of Rs 6.5 lakh. Six computer science students have clinched jobs in Microsoft IDC with a package of ₹16 lakh (US$24,000).Flipkart, the online shopping portal founded by two IIT alumni, has recruited three students at a package of Rs 12.5 lakh each. Of them, two are from computer science, while one is from electrical. Moreover, three students from 2014 batch are pursuing higher studies in different universities in US.The placement of IITP graduates is 97% in 2013 batch, even a third-year student has been selected for an annual package of Rs 18.5 lakh per annum. 20 BTech degree holders agreed to set up their own companies. Two students from Computer Science and Engineering - Batch of 2013 have developed a Braille mobile handset for blind people.
- "IIT-Patna: An island of excellence this".
- "Indian Institute of Technology-Patna students design customized tricycle - The Times of India". The Times Of India.
- "AICTE". Aicte-india.org. Retrieved 2013-09-27.
- "About IITP Logo :: The Institute :: IIT Patna". Iitp.ac.in. Retrieved 2013-09-27.
- "Campus propels IIT quality focus".
- "Students euphoric about new campus- IIT-Patna comes up with world-class facilities".
- "Green ride with healthy heart". telegraphindia.com. 2015-11-19.
- "Kapil Sibal lays foundation of IIT-Patna campus - The Times of India". The Times Of India.
- "Modi inaugurates IIT-Patna campus".
- "Modi sets IIT campus date".
- "PM to inaugurate Bihta IIT-P campus on July 25".
-  Archived June 1, 2010, at the Wayback Machine.
- Kumar, Roshan (25 May 2012). "Old tech cradle fails to keep pace with new institutes - NIT placement percentage falls to 65 as IIT & BIT students bag lucrative offers from big firms". The Telegraph. Calcutta, India.
- Kumar, Roshan (25 July 2012). "Cradle arms techies with new-age ammo". The Telegraph. Calcutta, India.
- "IIT Patna 2012 PhD". Way2college.com. Retrieved 2013-09-27.
- "IIT Patna Indian Institute of Technology Patna Courses Offered & Contact Details, www.winentrance.com Indian Institute of Technology IIT Patna". Winentrance.com. Retrieved 2013-09-27.
- "National Institutional Ranking Framework 2016". Ministry of Human Resource Development. 2016.
- "HRD Ministry announces universities ranking, IIT Madras and IIM Bangalore top the list".
- "Best B.Tech Projects -2012". Iitp.ac.in. Retrieved 2013-09-27.
- "R&D Home :: Research :: IIT Patna". Iitp.ac.in. Retrieved 2013-09-27.
- "Research Projects and Resources :: Research :: IIT Patna". Iitp.ac.in. Retrieved 2013-09-27.
- Correspondent, Our (2012-11-17). "IIT pact with US varsity - Yahoo News India". In.news.yahoo.com. Retrieved 2013-09-27.
- "IITP MOUs :: IIT Patna". Iitp.ac.in. Retrieved 2013-09-27.
- B K Mishra, TNN Dec 24, 2012, 01.36AM IST (2012-12-24). "Produce entrepreneurs, not job-seekers: Kalam - Times Of India". Articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com. Retrieved 2013-09-27.
- "Degree in hand, hats go flying". Calcutta, India: Telegraphindia.com. 2012-12-24. Retrieved 2013-09-27.
- "President awards medals to IIT-Patna toppers - The Times of India". The Times Of India.
- Roshan Kumar (2013-08-05). "Pranab chief guest at convocation". Calcutta, India: Telegraphindia.com. Retrieved 2013-09-27.
- "President to award degrees at IIT-Patna today - The Times of India". The Times Of India.
- "325 IIT-Patna students get degrees at 3rd convocation".
- "IITP students may go for research with DRDO soon - The Times of India". The Times Of India.
- "IIT Patna Students bag Rs 1.8 Crore Pay Package". Retrieved 5 June 2016.
- "5 years after launch, new IITs still floundering - The Times of India". The Times Of India.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to IIT Patna.|