Indian Institute of Technology Ropar
धियो यो नः प्रचोदयात् (Sanskrit)
Motto in English
|Guide in the Right Direction|
|Director||Sarit Kumar Das|
The Indian Institute of Technology Ropar (IIT Ropar) or IIT-RPR, is an engineering, science and technology higher education institute located in Rupnagar, Punjab, India. It is one of the eight newer Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs) established by the Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD), Government of India under The Institutes of Technology (Amendment) Act, 2011 to expand the reach and enhance the quality of technical education in the country.This institute is committed to providing state-of-the-art technical education in a variety of fields and also for facilitating transmission of knowledge in keeping with latest developments in pedagogy. It has already established itself as one of the top technological institutes in the country.
IIT Ropar was established by MHRD in 2008. The classes for academic session 2008–2009 were held at IIT Delhi. The Institute started functioning from its transit campus in Rupnagar in August 2009.
The institute currently operates out of three different campuses located in Rupnagar.
Transit Campus I
The transit campus I of IIT Ropar is former Women's Polytechnic, Rupnagar. The academic and administration buildings of the Women's Polytechnic, Ropar were renovated to accommodate all the requirements of the Institute.
This campus houses four hostels: three for boys (Mercury, Jupiter and Neptune Houses) and one for girls (Venus House). The day-to-day management of hostels is taken care of by a committee consisting of student representatives, faculty members (as Wardens) and administrative staff (caretakers, office-heads).
This campus currently houses the central library of the institute. It also an independent post office and a branch of State Bank of India.
Sports facilities include a cricket field, three tennis courts, a football field, a gymnasium, a basketball court, two volleyball court and also a number of facilities for several athletics. The Students Activity Center (SAC) has a gymnasium and rooms for different activity clubs.
Transit Campus II
Owing to the Ministry of Human Resource Development's (HRD) order for increasing seats, the institute started functioning from an additional transit campus. This campus is being shared by and leased from NIELIT Ropar. It is located adjacent to the permanent campus. Along with the main academic area, the campus has three hostels and three faculty residences.
Transportation to and from the campus is mainly done via the institute buses, that ply between the two transit campuses.
IIT Ropar has completely shifted to its permanent campus since June 2019. The institute started to operate from its permanent campus from July 2018. Some phases of this campus are still under construction. The campus is being built on the land earlier known as Birla Seed Farms. It is located over an area of 525 acres (2.12 km2). Foundation stone for the permanent campus was laid on 24 February 2009 by Union HRD Minister Arjun Singh. The contract is given to CPWD and a Bangkok-based construction company is assigned the task of finishing the first phase. The Computer Science Department has been shifted to this campus in July 2018. A part of the administration office was shifted on 17 June 2018. In June 2019, the Administration and Departments of Electrical, Computer Science and Mechanical Engineering completely shifted to the permanent campus.
Departments and Centres
The institute currently has 10 departments and 1 multi-disciplinary centre. The departments are:
- Chemical Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Computer Science and Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Metallurgical and Materials Engineering
- Humanities and Social Sciences
- Mechanical Engineering
The Center for Biomedical Engineering is the multi-disciplinary centre.
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (April 2018)
The institute offers undergraduate programmes awarding Bachelor of Technology in various engineering areas. Admission to these programmes is through JEE Advanced. The institute also offers postgraduate degrees awarding M.Tech. and M.Sc. (Research) in various engineering fields, as well as M.Sc. in basic sciences. Ph.D. courses in various fields are also offered.
|General – international|
|QS (BRICS) (2019)||107|
|QS (Asia) (2019)||219|
|General – India|
|QS (India) (2019)||21|
|Engineering – India|
|India Today (2018)||11|
Among government engineering colleges, IIT Ropar has been ranked 11 by India Today and 22 by the National Institutional Ranking Framework (NIRF) in engineering colleges for 2018. The institute has been featured in the QS World University Rankings for the first time in 2018, and was ranked 107 in BRICS and 219 in Asia. The Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2020 which included almost 1,400 universities across 92 countries, standing as the largest and most diverse university rankings ever to date, ranked IIT Ropar as the second best university in India; it was ranked the top among all IITs.
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (April 2018)
IIT Ropar puts immense emphasis on promoting cutting edge research and publications of high quality and not quantity. The institute stresses in inter-disciplinary research areas including Renewable and Clean Energy, Artificial intelligence (AI), Bio-imaging and Bio-instrumentation, and Agriculture and Rural Development. A Central Research Facility has been established encompassing equipment from various departments.
Extra curricular activities
Zeitgeist is the annual cultural festival of Indian Institute of Technology Ropar and is held annually as a three-day festival in late Feb - early March. It was conceived in September 2010. Advitiya, with its maiden edition in 2017, is the annual technical festival, which is held for three days in March. An annual sports festival, Aarohan is also held annually during February. It is currently in its second edition. These college fests are managed financially and conducted entirely by the students. An annual Indian classical music and dance event SPIC MACAY is also organized by the students and the faculty.
The management of student activities is done by many boards functioning under the Student Affairs Department. These boards have elected student representatives known as General Secretaries, and an overall elected President of the Student Council. They have various societies and clubs to promote extra curricular and co-curricular activities.
The IIT Ropar Alumni Association was founded on 1 February 2013. The association aims to encourage the alumni to take abiding interest in the progress and development of the institute. Since its establishment, the association has grown from strength to strength, regularly undertaking several initiatives to promote and foster mutually beneficial interaction between the alumni and the alma mater.
- List of universities in India
- Indian Institutes of Technology
- Education in India
- Engineering colleges in Punjab, India
- "Director | Indian Institute of Technology Ropar". www.iitrpr.ac.in. Retrieved 20 December 2017.
- "IIT Ropar is now independent of IIT Delhi's mentoring and administration".
- "The Institutes of Technology (Amendment) Bill, 2010" (PDF). 23 August 2010.
- IANS/Indo-Asian News Service (7 August 2009). "IIT Punjab to start working from its new campus Aug 20". New Delhi: TwoCircles.net. Retrieved 6 February 2013.
- "Big milestone: IIT-Punjab classes from August 20". The Times of India. 21 July 2009.
- "IIT-Ropar shifts to permanent campus". The Tribune. 8 June 2019. Retrieved 8 August 2019.
- "Permanent Campus – Indian Institute of Technology Ropar". www.iitrpr.ac.in. Retrieved 20 December 2017.
- "Departments & Centers | Indian Institute of Technology Ropar". www.iitrpr.ac.in. Retrieved 29 April 2018.
- "JEE Advanced 2017: Registration Ends; Know Details Here". NDTV.com. Retrieved 19 December 2017.
- "Admissions | Indian Institute of Technology Ropar". www.iitrpr.ac.in. Retrieved 19 December 2017.
- "PhD Admissions". Indian Institute of Technology Ropar. January 2012. Archived from the original on 14 January 2012. Retrieved 6 February 2013.
- "QS BRICS University Rankings 2019". QS Quacquarelli Symonds Limited. 2018.
- "QS Asia University Rankings 2019". QS Quacquarelli Symonds Limited. 2018.
- "QS India University Rankings 2019". QS Quacquarelli Symonds Limited. 2018.
- "National Institutional Ranking Framework 2018 (Engineering)". National Institutional Ranking Framework. Ministry of Human Resource Development. 2018.
- "India's Best Colleges 2018: Engineering - Government". India Today. 2018.
- "World University Rankings". Times Higher Education (THE). 20 August 2019. Retrieved 15 September 2019.
- "Indo-Taiwan AI research centre opens at IIT-Ropar". The Tribune. 28 July 2019. Retrieved 8 August 2019.
- "Our interdisciplinary thrust areas | Indian Institute of Technology Ropar". www.iitrpr.ac.in. Retrieved 29 April 2018.
- "Central Research Facilities – Indian Institute of Technology Ropar". www.iitrpr.ac.in. Retrieved 29 April 2018.
- "Research Conclave IIT Ropar". www.iitrpr.ac.in. Retrieved 29 April 2018.
- "Top scholars seek to prioritize innovative research as one-day conclave concluded at IIT Ropar - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 29 April 2018.
- Agarwal, Rohan. "Board of Cultural Activities". www.iitrpr.ac.in. Retrieved 29 April 2018.
- "Board of Sports Activities". www.iitrpr.ac.in. Retrieved 29 April 2018.
- "IIT Ropar Alumni Association".