|Publicly traded company|
|Traded as||MYX: 3336|
|Founded||1983, in Malaysia.|
|Revenue||RM5.13 billion (2016)|
IJM Corporation Berhad (MYX: 3336) is one of Malaysia's leading conglomerates and is listed on the Main Market of Bursa Malaysia Securities Berhad ("Bursa Securities"). Its core business activities encompass construction, property development, manufacturing and quarrying, infrastructure concessions and plantations. Headquartered in Selangor, Malaysia, IJM's regional aspirations have seen it establish a growing presence in neighboring developing markets with operations presently spanning 10 countries, with primary focus in Malaysia, India, United Arab Emirates, China and Indonesia. IJM's phenomenal growth over the past three decades has been the result of its unwavering focus on its core competencies, diversification into strategically related businesses and selective expansion into new markets.
The result of a merger between three medium-sized local construction companies - IGB Construction Sdn Bhd, Jurutama Sdn Bhd and Mudajaya Sdn Bhd, IJM was formed in 1983 to compete more effectively against bigger foreign rivals. The Company began to quickly establish itself as a professionally managed construction group and rapidly gained market acceptance. Over the years, the Company progressively built on its delivery capabilities, competitive prowess and financial capacity to strengthen its footing as a reputable local contractor.
In April 2007, IJM acquired the Road Builder Group ("RBH"), its nearest competitor, to augment its position as one of the country's biggest builders. In addition to bolstering its construction order book, property land bank and infrastructure portfolio, the enlarged Group enabled IJM to attain considerable synergistic benefits, greater local prominence as well as attain a more sizable balance sheet to bid for larger jobs and facilitate its expansion into overseas markets.
IJM's undertaking as a property developer began as a natural progression from its experience in the construction business. The Group's property arm has since grown considerably. IJM Land Berhad is one of the largest property developers in Malaysia with sprawling townships, commercial buildings and high-rise condominiums under development in key growth areas throughout the country. Besides establishing itself as a reputable township developer in India, IJM has also successfully undertaken ventures overseas in the past such as in Orlando USA, Singapore and Australia.
Initially supporting in-house needs, the Group's Industry Division quickly grew its operations into scale-able core activities focused on catering to demand from outside the Group. IJM continued to expand on its operations in this division with strategic acquisitions such as the takeover of Industrial Concrete Products Berhad in 2004 and successful market diversifications into China, India and Pakistan.
Leveraging on its construction expertise, the Group also owns and operates infrastructure concessions to create long-term recurrent income streams. Initial advancements into concession assets in Malaysia, however, proved elusive and, thus, an international focus was adopted. IJM's involvement in overseas infrastructure privatization (Build-Operate-Transfer) schemes met with considerable success. Amongst the Group's present investments in major overseas infrastructure projects are the Western Access Tollway in Argentina, five tolled highways and the Gautami power plant in India, and the Binh An water treatment concession in Vietnam. In Malaysia, the Group owns and operates three highways and port concessions from the RBH merger. The Group had previously invested in and profitably sold several infrastructure assets in China.
The Group also ventured into oil palm plantations in 1985 as a source of steady income to cushion the cyclical nature of its core construction business. This investment has since paid off handsomely. Now listed on the Main Market of Bursa Securities, IJM Plantations Berhad has contributed significantly to the Group's earnings over the years and has also accorded the Group better resilience to weather macro-economic and input costs volatilities. It is currently expanding its plantation operations into Indonesia.
When IJM went public in 1986, it had a market capitalization of RM66 million and total assets of RM172 million. The Group's market capitalization stood at RM9.83 billion as of 30 June 2014 and total assets stood at RM18.4 billion as of 31 March 2014.
I → IGB Construction Sdn Bhd was incorporated in 1981
J → Jurutama Sdn Bhd was incorporated in 1970 as Soon Tat Construction Sdn Bhd
M → Mudajaya Construction Sdn Bhd was incorporated in 1965 as Chye Hin Construction Co Ltd
The founders of Jurutama and Mudajaya were professionals serving as senior government officials. Despite holding secure positions, their determination to search for that legendary 'pot of gold at the end of the rainbow' led them to break new grounds at a time when hardly any qualified engineer dared venture out as contractor.
With them at the helm, they steered Jurutama and Mudajaya through the high risk contracting business. With their perseverance and diligence to give their best, they brought new changes and professionalism to the entire Malaysian construction industry. And, by the end of the '70s, Jurutama and Mudajaya have emerged as two of the largest companies in Malaysia. Tough times set in at the turn of the decade when the influx of large and well-capitalised foreign contractors, who had with them surplus capacity and concessionary government loans, severely affected the competitiveness of local construction companies. Local contractors were slowly being relegated to being subcontractors or minority joint venture partners.
Jurutama and Mudajaya were not spared. Their founders saw the obvious. Local companies have got to either merge, go public or come under the umbrella of larger public companies if they are to survive the challenges posed by these foreign contractors. A meeting of former Technical College mates brought the answer. IGB Corporation Bhd, a public listed property company which then owned a small building construction subsidiary, saw the synergies that a combination of IGB Construction, Jurutama and Mudajaya could bring to the Group. In 1982, in a friendly takeover, IGB Corporation Bhd acquired all the shares in Jurutama and Mudajaya. Following this acquisition, Solidstate Sdn Bhd was incorporated (1983) and, in 1984, the name was changed to IJM Engineering and Construction Sdn Bhd. IGB then transferred all its equity interests in Jurutama and Mudajaya together with that of IGB Construction in exchange for shares in this newly incorporated company. IJM had thus become IGB's holding company for its construction interests. In 1986, IJM turned public. An application made for its shares to be listed on the Bursa Malaysia Securities Berhad was subsequently obtained in September 1986.
To better reflect the Group's diversified nature of activities, the present logo and a new name, IJM Corporation Berhad, was adopted in 1989.
- IJM Construction Sdn Bhd
- Road Builder (M) Sdn Bhd
- Jurutama Sdn Bhd
- Commerce House Sdn Bhd
- GR Commerce Sdn Bhd
- IJM (India) Geotechniques Private Limited
- IJM (India) Infrastructure Limited
- IJM Building Systems Sdn Bhd
- IJM Construction (Middle East) Limited Liability Company
- IJM Construction International Limited Liability Company
- Insitu Envirotech (M) Sdn Bhd
- Insitu Envirotech (S.E. Asia) Pte Ltd
- Insitu Envirotech Pte Ltd
- Nilai Cipta Sdn Bhd
- Prebore Piling & Engineering Sdn Bhd
- IJM Land Berhad
- IJM Properties Sdn Bhd
- Aqua Aspect Sdn Bhd
- Aras Varia Sdn Bhd
- Bukit Bendera Resort Sdn Bhd
- Casa Warna Sdn Bhd
- Chen Yu Land Sdn Bhd
- Delta Awana Sdn Bhd
- Dian Warna Sdn Bhd
- Emko Management Services Sdn Bhd
- Emko Properties Sdn Bhd
- ERMS Berhad
- IJM Australia Pty Limited
- IJM Lingamaneni Township Private Limited
- IJM Management Services Sdn Bhd
- Liberty Heritage (M) Sdn Bhd
- Manda’rina (M) Sdn Bhd
- NPE Property Development Sdn Bhd
- NS Central Market Sdn Bhd
- Pilihan Alam Jaya Sdn Bhd
- RB Development Sdn Bhd
- RB Land Sdn Bhd
- RB Property Management Sdn Bhd
- Seremban Two Holdings Sdn Bhd
- Seremban Two Landscape Sdn Bhd
- Seremban Two Properties Sdn Bhd
- Seremban Two Property Management Sdn Bhd
- Serenity Ace Sdn Bhd
- Shah Alam 2 Sdn Bhd
- Sinaran Intisari (M) Sdn Bhd
- Suria Bistari Development Sdn Bhd
- Swarnandhra-IJMII Integrated Township Development Company Private Limited
- Titian Tegas Sdn Bhd
- Unggul Senja Sdn Bhd
- Worldwide Ventures Sdn Bhd
- Industrial Concrete Products Sdn Bhd
- Malaysian Rock Products Sdn Bhd
- Aggregate Marketing Sdn Bhd
- Azam Ekuiti Sdn Bhd
- Concrete Mould Engineering Sdn Bhd
- Durabon Sdn Bhd
- Expedient Resources Sdn Bhd
- Global Rock Marketing Sdn Bhd
- ICP Investment (L) Limited
- ICP Jiangmen Co. Ltd
- ICP Marketing Sdn Bhd
- ICPB (Mauritius) Limited
- IJM Concrete Products Pakistan (Private) Ltd
- IJM Concrete Products Private Limited
- Kamad Quarry Sdn Bhd
- Kemena Industries Sdn Bhd
- Kuang Rock Products Sdn Bhd
- Oriental Empire Sdn Bhd
- Scaffold Master Sdn Bhd
- Strong Mixed Concrete Sdn Bhd
- Tadmansori Rubber Industries Sdn Bhd
- Ubon Steel Sdn Bhd
- IJM Plantations Berhad
- Akrab Perkasa Sdn Bhd
- Ampas Maju Sdn Bhd
- Berakan Maju Sdn Bhd
- Desa Talisai Palm Oil Mill Sdn Bhd
- Desa Talisai Sdn Bhd
- Cahaya Adil Sdn Bhd
- Firdana Corporation Sdn Bhd
- Gerbang Selasih Sdn Bhd
- Excellent Challenger (M) Sdn Bhd
- Gapas Mewah Sdn Bhd
- Golden Grip Sdn Bhd
- Gunaria Sdn Bhd
- IJM Agri Services Sdn Bhd
- IJM Edible Oils Sdn Bhd
- Kulim Mewah Sdn Bhd
- Laserline Sdn Bhd
- Minat Teguh Sdn Bhd
- Rakanan Jaya Sdn Bhd
- Rantajasa Sdn Bhd
- Ratus Sempurna Sdn Bhd
- RB Plantations Sdn Bhd
- Sabang Mills Sdn Bhd
- Sijas Plantations Sdn Bhd
- Sri Kilau Sdn Bhd
- Besraya Sdn Bhd ( Sungai Besi Expressway
- New Pantai Expressway Sdn Bhd ( New Pantai Expressway)
- Lebuhraya Kajang-Seremban Sdn Bhd ( Kajang-Seremban Highway)
- Jaipur - Mahua Tollway Private Limited
- RB Highway Services Sdn Bhd
- Rewa Tollway Private Limited
- Roadstar (India) Infrastructure Private Limited
- Sukma Samudra Sdn Bhd
- Swarnandhra Road Care Private Limited
- Konsortium Pelabuhan Kemaman Sdn Bhd (Kemaman Port)
- Kuantan Port Consortium Sdn Bhd (Kuantan Port)
- KP Port Services Sdn Bhd
- Essmarine Terminal Sdn Bhd
- IEMCEE Infra (Mauritius) Limited
- IJM International Limited
- IJM Investments (L) Ltd
- IJM Investments (M) Limited
- IJM Overseas Ventures Sdn Bhd
- IJM Rajasthan (Mauritius) Limited
- IJM Rewa (Mauritius) Limited
- IJM Trichy (Mauritius) Limited
- IJMII (Mauritius) Limited
- "Director Profile". IJM.
- "IJM names SOAM CEO, managing director". theSunDaily.
- "IJM posts higher net profit at RM793.6mil". The Star online. May 27, 2016.
- "IJM CORPORATION BERHAD [S] (3336)".
- ""Corporate Profile", IJM Corporation Berhad Official Website".
- ""Corporate Profile", IJM Corporation Berhad Official Website".
- ""Corporate History", IJM Corporation Berhad Official Website".
- ""Group Structure", IJM Corporation Berhad" (PDF). Retrieved June 2016. Check date values in: