|Type||Full-frame mirrorless interchangeable-lens camera|
|Sensor||35.6×23.8mm mm Exmor full-frame RS CMOS Sensor|
|Maximum resolution||6000×4000 (3:2) (24.2 megapixel)|
|ASA/ISO range||Auto, 100-51,200 expandable to 204,800|
|Storage||Dual memory card slots. Supports Memory Stick Pro Duo, Pro-HG Duo, SD, SDHC, SDXC. Slot 1 - SD (UHS-I/II compliant). Slot 2 - Multi slot for Memory Stick Duo/SD(UHS-I compliant)|
|Focus modes||Contrast Detect (sensor), Phase Detect, Multi-area, Center, Selective single-point, Single, Continuous, Face Detection, Live View|
|Exposure metering||Multi-segment, Center-weighted, Spot, Spot Standard/Large, Entire Screen Avg., Highlight|
|Shutter||Electronically-controlled, vertical-traverse, focal-plane shutter|
|Shutter speed range||1/32,000 (Electronic) / 1/8000 (Mechanical) - 30 sec, BULB|
|Continuous shooting||20 frame/s (12bit )|
|Viewfinder||Built-in 3.68 megapixel Quad-VGA OLED Electronic viewfinder|
|Rear LCD monitor||2.95 in (75 mm) Tilting LCD, 1.44 megapixel|
|Battery||NP-FZ100 Lithium-Ion rechargeable battery|
|Weight||Approx. 673 g (23.7 oz) (camera body, card and battery)|
The Sony α9 (the α is sometimes spelled out as Alpha), Model ILCE-9, is a full-frame mirrorless interchangeable-lens camera. It was Sony's flagship camera as of 2017. The camera is not the successor to the α7 line of digital cameras but supplements it. Announced on 19 April 2017, the α9 is characterized by Sony as a true professional mirrorless camera system. The α9 is being compared with the Nikon D5 and the Canon EOS-1D X Mark II.
Sony initially priced the α9 at $4,499 with an availability date in May 2017.
The headline feature of the α9 is the 20 frames per second with a buffer of 240 raw or 362 JPEG images. This is accomplished without temporarily blacking out the finder for each exposure, unlike a DSLR. 
- Stacked Exmor RS CMOS Sensor full-frame sensor
- 693-point focal-plane phase detection AF
- 5-axis image stabilization
- LCD touchscreen (3 inch/7.5 cm) with tilt functionality
- 1.3 cm (0.5 inch) electronic viewfinder
- 1200-zone evaluative light metering
- Built-in Wi-Fi, NFC and Bluetooth
- LAN input for transferring files via FTP
- LED-auto focus illuminator
- Multi Interface Shoe
- My Menu system with up to 72 assignable functions
- Joystick for positioning of the 693 focus points
- Dual memory card slots, one for UHS-I and one for UHS-II.
Initial hands-on of the α9 have been positive with multiple reviewers praising the company for listening to its users.
- Sony a9 Full Review: Mirrorless Redefined: Digital Photography Review
- "Sony's new α9 camera is a full-frame mirrorless with ludicrous speed". The Verge. Retrieved 2017-04-20.
- "Spec Warfare: Sony α9 vs Nikon D5 vs Canon 1D X Mark II". News Ledge. 2017-04-19. Retrieved 2017-04-20.
- "Sony α9 may trounce Canon and Nikon at their own game. Or not". CNET. Retrieved 2017-04-20.
- "This is What 20fps with No Blackout Looks Like on the Sony α9". PetaPixel. 2017-04-20. Retrieved 2017-04-20.
- Camera Grand Prix 2018
- Media related to Sony ILCE-9 at Wikimedia Commons
- Official website
- Dpreview.com's Full Review of the Sony α9