IMRO – Bulgarian National Movement
|Founded||1991 (cultural organisation)
1999 (political party)
|Headquarters||5th Pirotska Str, Sofia, Bulgaria|
|Youth wing||National Youth Committee of IMRO|
|Political position||Right-wing to Far-right|
|National affiliation||Patriotic Front|
|European Parliament group||European Conservatives and Reformists|
8 / 240
1 / 17
The IMRO – Bulgarian National Movement or IMRO-BNM (Bulgarian: ВМРО – Българско Национално Движение, VMRO – Bulgarsko Natsionalno Dvizhenie) is a nationalist political party in Bulgaria, founded in 1991. It claims to be the successor to the historic Internal Macedonian Revolutionary Organization. IMRO's leader is Krasimir Karakachanov
The abbreviation IMRO references the Internal Macedonian Revolutionary Organization, a historic Bulgarian-established revolutionary political organization in the Macedonia and Thrace regions founded in the late 19th century. By its establishment in 1991 the name of the organization was IMRO-Union of Macedonian Assotiations. At the Fourth Congress in 1997, IMRO-UMA dropped the addition UMA. Initially it was not involved in Bulgarian politics but after 1994, it became politically active and entered the Bulgarian parliament. Renamed IMRO-Bulgarian National Movement in 1998, the organization was gradually transformed into a right-wing populist political party in the 2000s. In 2010, a group of members separated from the party and formed the National Ideal for Unity.
In the 2014 European Parliament election, the party was part of the coalition "Bulgaria Without Censorship", which included the parties Bulgaria Without Censorship, IMRO-BNM, People's Agricultural Union, and George's Day Movement. The coalition received 10.66% of the votes and won two seats in the European Parliament. MEPs elected from the coalition include IMRO vice-leader Angel Djambazki and BBT leader Nikolay Barekov.
On 3 August 2014 was signed coalition agreement between NFSB and IMRO called Patriotic Front for the upcoming parliamentary elections 2014. And states its purpose to be for: "a revival of the Bulgarian economy, a fight against monopolies, achieving modern education and healthcare and a fair and uncorrupt judiciary." The signing of a coalition agreement between IMRO and NFSB marks the end of the BBT-IMRO coalition.
The members of the alliance are - PROUD, National Ideal for Unity, Middle European Class, Association Patriot, Undivided Bulgaria, National Movement BG Patriot, Union of the Patriotic Forces "Defense", National Association of Alternate Soldiery "For the Honor of epaulette", National Movement for the Salvation of the Fatherland and National Democratic Party.
The IMRO describes itself as a conservative and patriotic party based on modern nationalism. It defines itself as a "pan-Bulgarian national movement" aiming at "spiritual unity of the Bulgarian nation". It is known as a strongly nationalist and Orthodox Christian party which is opposed to minority rights and strives for a Greater Bulgaria which would include today's Republic of Macedonia. The rhetoric of party leaders is directed against Bulgarian Turks, Roma and members of non-traditional religious groups and sects.
- Christo Ivanov; Margarita Ilieva (2005). Cas Mudde, ed. Bulgaria. Racist Extremism in Central and Eastern Europe. Routledge. p. 4. ISBN 0415355931.
- "РЪКОВОДНИ ОРГАНИ". ВМРО.
- "Internal Macedonian Revolutionary Organization (IMRO)". Encyclopedia Britannica. Retrieved 27 Feb 2013.
- The A to Z of Bulgaria, Raymond Detrez, Scarecrow Press INC, 2010, ISBN 0810872021, p. 227.
- Historical Dictionary of the Republic of Macedonia, Dimitar Bechev, Scarecrow Press, 2009, ISBN 0810862956, p. 104.
- "НФСБ и ВМРО подписаха коалиция "Патриотичен фронт"". ВМРО.
- Слави Бинев закри ГОРД
- "Партиите "НФСБ" и "НИЕ" си стиснаха ръцете". potv.eu.
- "България - "Средна европейска класа" обяви "безкористна подкрепа" за програмата на НФСБ - Dnevnik.bg". www.dnevnik.bg.
- "България - Обединението около НФСБ включи и сдружение "Патриот" на бивши депутати от "Атака" (видео) - видео - Dnevnik.bg". www.dnevnik.bg.
- "СЕГА - НФСБ и "Целокупна България" се обединиха". SEGA Online. 5 September 5738. Check date values in:
- "НД "БГ патриот" подкрепя ВМРО". ВМРО.
- "Патриотичният фронт получи подкрепата на "БГ Патриот"". ВМРО.
- "Патриотични организации подкрепят ВМРО". ВМРО.
- "Национална телевизия СКАТ". skat.bg.
- НДП. "НДП СЕ ПРИСЪЕДИНИ КЪМ ПАТРИОТИЧНИЯ ФРОНТ". ndp.bg.
- Stefan Troebst. The Internal Macedonian Revolutionary Organization and Bulgarian Revisionism, 1923–1944. Territorial Revisionism and the Allies of Germany in the Second World War. Berghahn Books. p. 170. ISBN 085745739X.
- Official website (Bulgarian)
Media related to IMRO – Bulgarian National Movement at Wikimedia Commons