International Mobile Telecommunications-2020 (IMT-2020 Standard) are the requirements issued by the ITU Radiocommunication Sector (ITU-R) of the International Telecommunication Union (ITU) in 2015 for 5G networks, devices and services.
The standard is expected to be completed in 2020, but parts of it have been finalized earlier. For example the requirements for radio access technologies listed below were adopted in November 2017. Following the publication of the requirements the developers of radio access technologies such as 3GPP were expected to develop 5G technologies meeting these requirements. 3GPP is developing radio access technologies NR, LTE-M and NB-IoT that together are expected to meet all requirements.
The following parameters are the requirements for IMT-2020 5G candidate radio access technologies. Note that these requirements are not intended to restrict the full range of capabilities or performance that candidate for IMT-2020 might achieve, nor are they intended to describe how the technologies might perform in actual deployments.
|Capability||Description||5G requirement||Usage scenario|
|Downlink peak data rate||Minimum maximum data rate technology must support||20 Gbit/s||eMBB|
|Uplink peak data rate||10 Gbit/s||eMBB|
|User experienced downlink data rate||Data rate in dense urban test environment 95% of time||100 Mbit/s||eMBB|
|User experienced uplink data rate||50 Mbit/s||eMBB|
|Latency||Radio network contribution to packet travel time||4 ms||eMBB|
|Mobility||Maximum speed for handoff and QoS requirements||500 km/h||eMBB/URLLC|
|Connection density||Total number of devices per unit area||106/km2||mMTC|
|Energy efficiency||Data sent/received per unit energy consumption (by device or network)||Equal to 4G||eMBB|
|Area traffic capacity||Total traffic across coverage area||10 Mbps/m2||eMBB|
|Peak downlink spectrum efficiency||Throughput per unit wireless bandwidth and per network cell||30 bit/s/Hz||eMBB|
- "ITU defines vision and roadmap for 5G mobile development". www.itu.int.
- "What Is IMT-2020?". SDxCentral.
- "Minimum requirements related to technical performance for IMT-2020 radio interface(s)". ITU. November 2017. Retrieved 28 August 2019.
- "LTE-M and NB-IoT meet the 5G performance requirements". ITU. 9 December 2018. Retrieved 28 August 2019.
- "Minimum requirements related to technical performance for IMT-2020 radio interface(s)" (PDF). ITU. November 2017. Retrieved 28 August 2019.