INFLIBNET Centre (Information and Library Network Centre) is an autonomous Inter-University Centre of the University Grants Commission (UGC) of India under Ministry of HRD (MHRD) located in Gandhinagar, Gujarat. The centre was initially started as a national project under IUCAA in March, 1991. It became an independent Inter-University Centre in June 1996.
INFLIBNET is involved in modernizing university libraries in India and connecting them as well as information centres in the country through a nation-wide high speed data network using the state-of-art technologies for the optimum utilization of information. INFLIBNET is set out to be a major player in promoting scholarly communication among academicians and researchers in India.
The Centre has implemented several projects for the development of library services in Indian Universities. These include the following:
- Financial support for the automation of University Libraries
- Development of a comprehensive database of the resources in various libraries in India
- Development of an integrated library management software called SOUL (Software for University Libraries)
- UGC-Infonet Internet Connectivity Programme
- The centre has taken several open access initiatives like:
- OJAS, a platform to faculty and researchers in Universities to host their open-access journals
- Shodhganga, a digital repository for theses and dissertations by research scholars in universities in India
- Shodhgangotri, a digital repository of synopsis of research topic submitted to the universities in India by research scholars
- An institutional repository called IR@INFLBNET for papers published in the proceedings of the CALIBER and PLANNER
- Creation of R&D facilities and working groups to study and contribute to the open source movement
- Maintenance of a database of sccientists, researchers and other faculty members working at leading academic institutions and other R&D organisations involved in teaching and research in India
- Bibliometric and scientometric studies
- e-PG Pathshala: A Gateway to All Post Graduate Courses
- Trainings in many various aspects related to Library and Information and Communication Technology (ICT) are frequently organized.
The INFLIBNET Centre brings out two publications, namely, Quarterly Newsletter and Annual Report which are distributed to the academic community across the country.
- Shahaji Shankar Waghmode. "Role of INFLIBNET in Growth and Development of Higher Education in India" (PDF). e-LiS. Retrieved 8 October 2016.