|Airport type||Naval Air Station|
|Location||Ramanathapuram district, India|
INS Parundu is an Indian naval air station located near Uchipuli in the Ramanathapuram district of the state of Tamil Nadu. It operates under the Eastern Naval Command of the Indian Navy. The air station will be opened up for civilian flights under Phase 2 of the Regional Connectivity Scheme (RCS) of the Government of India also known as UDAN and the Airports Authority of India (AAI) has started preparatory work at the airstrip.
The airfield in Ramanathapuram district was previously the abandoned Ramnad Civil Aerodrome. Naval aviation first utilised the facilities in 1982, to monitor the Palk Strait in the wake of the Sri Lankan Civil War.
The facilities were fully transferred to the Navy on 9 June 1985, and the naval air station was initially commissioned INS Rajali II.
On 26 March 2009, the base was renamed and commissioned as INS Parundu, for the Tamil word for an eagle. The facilities have since been upgraded to operate larger aircraft. It is primarily used by the navy as a reconnaissance station to monitor the South East Bay of Bengal, the northern Indian Ocean, the Gulf of Mannar and the Palk Strait.
On 25 August 2017, an Integrated Automatic Aviation Meteorological System (IAAMS) was added.
Besides upgrading the runway, the Navy has installed dedicated facilities to operate UAVs from the air station. INAS 344, operating IAI Heron and IAI Searcher Mk II UAVs is based at INS Parundu.
- "Naval Air Stations". Indian Navy. Retrieved 2011-08-18.
- "Eastern Naval Command Authorities & Units". Indian Navy. Archived from the original on 22 August 2013. Retrieved 5 April 2014.
- "ENC Authorities & Units - INS Parundu". Indian Navy. Retrieved 5 April 2014.
- "AAI on top gear to start Udanflights from 3 towns by year-end". The Times of Inda. 29 March 2018. Retrieved 6 May 2018.
- SpokespersonNavy (2017-08-25). "VAdm SN Ghormade DGNaval Ops (DGNO) inaugurates Integ Automatic Aviation Meteorological System (IAAMS) at INS Parundu TN @SpokespersonMoDpic.twitter.com/lcG3yC4Zvs". @indiannavy. Retrieved 2017-08-26.
- "Indian Navy to Operate UAVs from INS Parundu". MarineBuzz.com. 2009-04-01. Retrieved 2011-08-18.
- "Navy all set to commission UAV squadron at Uchipuli". The Times of India. 2012-04-08.
- "Indian Navy commissions its third UAV squadron". The Times of India. 2012-04-11.