A HDR Image of ION Orchard, 13 June 2010.
|Location||Orchard Road, Singapore|
|Opening date||21 July 2009 (operational)|
|Developer||Orchard Turn Developments Pte Ltd (A joint venture company between CapitaLand and Sun Hung Kai Properties)|
|Management||Orchard Turn Developments Pte Ltd|
|Owner||Orchard Turn Developments Pte Ltd|
|Architect||Benoy & RSP Architects & Engineers|
|No. of stores and services||400|
|Total retail floor area||941,700 square feet (87,490 m2)|
|No. of floors||8|
ION Orchard, formerly known as the Orchard Turn Development or Orchard Turn Site, is the retail component of an integrated retail and residential development by Orchard Turn Developments Pte Ltd, a joint venture between CapitaLand and Sun Hung Kai Properties. It started operating on 21 July 2009, occupying 335 food and retail outlets.
The Orchard Residences, the residential component of the development, is a high-rise residential condominium. It was completed along with the shopping mall under the same developer, manager and owner in 2010. It owns a 99-year leasehold with effect from 13 March 2006.
The Orchard Turn Development, now known as The Orchard Residences and ION Orchard after its official names were revealed on 5 February 2007 and 16 July 2007 respectively, was built on the site of the former park located directly above Orchard. The MRT Station's Exit C was closed and demolished on 15 January 2008 to make way for the ION Orchard development. A replacement for the exit, Exit E, was opened on the same day.
ION Orchard has 941,700 square feet (87,490 m2) of gross floor area and 663,000 square feet (61,600 m2) of retail space, which is larger than Ngee Ann City but smaller than Suntec City Mall and VivoCity, the largest shopping mall in Singapore. Designed by Benoy, the Orchard Turn Development has won two EG Retail and Future Project Awards, the Best Architectural Entry and the Best Retail Development over 20,000 m², at Mapic 2006 held in Cannes, France, in November 2006.
Layered across the walls of ION Orchard, the Media Facade is a multi-sensory canvas media wall.
A 5,600 sq ft (520 m2) art and exhibition gallery is located on the fourth floor of the shopping mall. Called ION Art, it aims to combine art and commerce. An art and design programme is implemented to introduce new and multimedia art into the mall experience, promoting the best of Asian modern and contemporary art and design from established and emerging artists and designers. Under this programme, permanent and changing sculptures and media installations will be located throughout the mall with art exhibitions held throughout the year within the ION Art Gallery and other locations in the mall.
The development's observation deck, ION Sky, is located on the 55th and 56th floor of the building. With a height of 218 m above ground, it offers a panoramic view of the city. It will also have a 75,000 sq ft (7,000 m2) garden on its 9th floor, together with two club facilities on its 9th and 30th floors.
The mall has two subway entrances on Level 1 connecting to ION Orchard via Orchard. The first entrance, Exit E (facing Wheelock Place), was opened on the morning of 15 January 2008, the same day when the station's Exit C (facing Wisma Atria) was closed and slated to be demolished and subsequently completed in late 2008. Mounted on Exit E's wall were more than 90 metres of LED walls, that can be programmed with different colours and patterns on its light displays to create a certain mood, even for festive occasions. It can also be used for advertising or as an art gallery from time to time.
The mall has a linkway leading from Orchard MRT Station to Tangs Plaza. The stretch had undergone a widening project which was completed in November 2014. Other shops include Redeye, Metaphor, Owndays, Yankee Candle, VDL Cosmetics, Lovisa, 7-Eleven and Selectiv' by Sasa. These new tenants join ION Orchard’s existing collection of fashion favourites such as Victoria’s Secret, H&M, and Mango at ION Paterson Link, located at Basement 2 of the mall.
The mall has a walkway leading from Orchard Boulevard to Orchard MRT station. Called the Orchard Boulevard Entrance, the first LED-lit subway entrance was opened on 10 June 2008 at the MRT station, with the help of the Land Transport Authority and SMRT Corporation on the planning of the walkway. Synchronized with ION Orchard's facade and canopy, the walkway has LED panels to create a surround experience for commuters, and a fritted glass-and-steel canopy roof to allow natural light to filter through. The walkway will also have easy access to the basement and ground levels of the mall from the subway station's concourse level as well as the walkway connecting the subway station to Wheelock Place.
The mall also has a car park with approximately 650 parking spots (including handicap parking), between the fourth and the eighth floors. Over 100 media screens located both inside and outside the shopping mall, including those above restroom urinals, are managed by MediaCorp.
With a lettable area of almost 660 000 sq ft, around 400 retail outlets are currently located at ION Orchard. To date, there are various flagship stores, which include Rubi Shoes (which opened during 21 July 2009 and has since expanded island-wide), Li Ning, and Bershka. On 12 November 2013, Rubi Shoes relocated from one store near Orchard MRT Station to replace Etude House.
Four multi-label stores and several new-to-market food and dining propositions have also been confirmed, along with established food operators. There is a food court present at ION Orchard. A Hong Kong supermarket chain, ThreeSixty, has also made its debut in Singapore.
More than 21% of the lettable area has been used for dining purposes, with 60 out of the 125 dining outlets new-to-market or new concepts. There are 28 restaurants and cafes, with the largest cluster at level 4 for fine dining and levels 2 and 3 for casual dining. Dunkin' Donuts also returned to Singapore with an outlet in ION Orchard. A reputable top day spa Estheva Spa was another tenant to move into Ion Orchard.
- "ION ORCHARD TO OPEN FOR BUSINESS IN JULY" (PDF) (Press release). Orchard Turn Developments Pte Ltd. 23 March 2007.
- "New malls on the block: ION Orchard and Orchard Central". Asiaone News. 16 July 2007.
- "The Orchard Residences' Phase One comprising 98 units fully sold" (PDF) (Press release). Orchard Turn Developments Pte Ltd. 16 July 2007.
- "The Orchard Residences – Fact Sheet" (PDF) (Press release). Orchard Turn Developments Pte Ltd. 6 March 2007. updated 18 June 2014 from The Skyscraper Center
- "Orchard Turn Residential Development Named "The Orchard Residences"" (PDF) (Press release). Orchard Turn Development Pte Ltd. 5 January 2008.
- "ION ORCHARD – 'CENTRE OF GRAVITY' FOR SINGAPORE RETAIL" (PDF) (Press release). Orchard Turn Developments Pte Ltd. 16 July 2007.
- "New Orchard MRT entrance to open". Asiaone News. 14 January 2008.
- "BRAND NEW MRT ENTRANCE OPENS TO ORCHARD ROAD'S FASHION HUB" (PDF) (Press release). Orchard Turn Development Pte Ltd. 14 January 2008.
- "ION Orchard - Press Release" (PDF). Capitaland. Capitaland.
- "Orchard Turn Wins Two Prestigious Architecture Awards at MAPIC 2006" (PDF) (Press release). Orchard Turn Developments Pte Ltd. 28 November 2006.
- "SIX GLOBAL FASHION SUPERBRANDS CONFIRM FLAGSHIP STORES AT ION ORCHARD" (PDF) (Press release). Orchard Turn Developments Pte Ltd. 9 January 2008.
- "ION ORCHARD'S SHOW SUITE CHARTS A JOURNEY THROUGH SINGAPORE'S ICONIC RETAIL MALL" (PDF) (Press release). Orchard Turn Developments Pte Ltd. 22 July 2008.
- "ION ORCHARD OPENS ITS ORCHARD BOULEVARD ENTRANCE LEADING TO ORCHARD MRT" (PDF) (Press release). Orchard Turn Developments Pte Ltd. 9 June 2008.
- "Fab fashion and food at ION Orchard". Diva.
- "FOOD FIT FOR FASHIONISTAS AT ION Orchard" (Press release). Orchard Turn Developments Pte Ltd. 24 June 2007. Archived from the original (PDF) on 28 June 2009.
- "Estheva Spa Top Company – Best of Singapore". gvpedia.
- "Singapore Airlines Opens New Service Centre at Ion Orchard". Singapore Airlines.
- Singapore, Singapore Crate and Barrel in Crate and Barrel Ion Orchard
- Crate and Barrel Singapore – Our Insiders Review | Honeycombers Singapore
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to ION Orchard and The Orchard Residences.|
- Official website
- The Orchard Residences website
- 360 X 360 degrees interactive VR of the ION Orchard Building