This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Parent company||Institute of Physics|
|Country of origin||United Kingdom|
|Headquarters location||Bristol, England|
|Key people||Paul Hardaker (CEO). Steven Hall (MD IOP Publishing) |
|Publication types||Academic journals, magazines|
IOP Publishing (previously Institute of Physics Publishing) is the publishing company of the Institute of Physics. It provides publications through which scientific research is distributed worldwide, including journals, community websites, magazines, conference proceedings and books. The Institute of Physics is a scientific charity devoted to increasing the practice, understanding and application of physics. Any financial surplus earned by IOP Publishing goes to support physics through the activities of the Institute.
The main IOP Publishing headquarters is located in Bristol, England, and the North American headquarters is in Philadelphia, United States. It also has regional offices in Washington, D.C., Mexico City, Beijing, Tokyo, Moscow, St. Petersburg, and Sydney. It employs over 300 staff.
It was the first physics publisher to publish a journal on the internet. In 1994, the journal Classical and Quantum Gravity was published as a TeX file. In January 1996 the organization launched the full electronic journals programme on the World Wide Web, ahead of other physics publishers.
Physics World, the monthly magazine of the Institute of Physics, was first published in October 1988. The title, published by IOP Publishing, won in the App/Digital Edition category for Association/Non-Profit (B-to-B) brands in the Eddie Digital Awards. It also picked up an honourable mention for best Design Cover in the Association/Non-Profit (B-to-B) category in the Ozzie Awards.
IOPscience is the online service for journal content. Journals include:
- 2D Materials
- Advances in Natural Sciences: Nanoscience and Nanotechnology
- Applied Physics Express
- Bioinspiration & Biomimetics
- Biomedical Materials
- Biomedical Physics & Engineering Express
- Chinese Physics B
- Chinese Physics C
- Chinese Physics Letters
- Classical and Quantum Gravity
- Communications in Theoretical Physics
- Computational Science & Discovery
- Convergent Science Physical Oncology
- Environmental Research Letters
- European Journal of Physics
- Flexible and Printed Electronics
- Fluid Dynamics Research
- Inverse Problems
- Izvestiya: Mathematics
- Japanese Journal of Applied Physics
- Journal of Breath Research
- Journal of Cosmology and Astroparticle Physics
- Journal of Geophysics and Engineering
- Journal of Instrumentation
- Journal of Micromechanics and Microengineering
- Journal of Neural Engineering
- Journal of Optics
- Journal of Physics A: Mathematical and Theoretical
- Journal of Physics B: Atomic, Molecular and Optical Physics
- Journal of Physics: Communications
- Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics
- Journal of Physics G: Nuclear and Particle Physics
- Journal of Physics: Condensed Matter
- Journal of Radiological Protection
- Journal of Semiconductors
- Journal of Statistical Mechanics: Theory and Experiment
- Laser Physics
- Laser Physics Letters
- Materials Research Express
- Measurement Science and Technology
- Methods and Applications in Fluorescence
- Modelling and Simulation in Materials Science and Engineering
- New Journal of Physics
- Nuclear Fusion
- Physica Scripta
- Physical Biology
- Physics Education
- Physics in Medicine and Biology
- Physiological Measurement
- Plasma Physics and Controlled Fusion
- Plasma Science and Technology
- Plasma Sources Science and Technology
- Publications of the Astronomical Society of the Pacific
- Quantum Electronics
- Quantum Science and Technology
- Reports on Progress in Physics
- Research in Astronomy and Astrophysics
- Russian Chemical Reviews
- Russian Mathematical Surveys
- Sbornik: Mathematics
- Semiconductor Science and Technology
- Smart Materials and Structures
- Superconductor Science and Technology
- Surface Topography: Metrology and Properties
- The Astronomical Journal
- The Astrophysical Journal
- The Astrophysical Journal Letters
- The Astrophysical Journal Supplement Series
- The Planetary Science Journal
- Translational Materials Research
Some of these journals are published on behalf of other societies; for example, the Astrophysical Journal group of titles are published in partnership with the American Astronomical Society.
IOP Publishing sold its books publishing division (with the imprint Adam Hilger) to Taylor & Francis in 2005. As a consequence of recent significant changes in the publishing landscape and demand for ebooks, IOP Publishing launched an ebook programme in 2012. IOP Publishing partnered with Morgan & Claypool on a book programme which is focussed on researchers who are in the early stages of their research careers or who would like to approach a research field more broadly and across disciplines. In 2014 IOP Publishing and the American Astronomical Society announced an electronic book publishing partnership as part of the AAS's mission to enhance and share humanity’s scientific understanding of the universe.
- "New Chief Executive for the Institute of Physics". Retrieved 19 December 2019.
- "New managing director for IOP publishing". Physics Today. 2010. doi:10.1063/PT.4.1368.
- 125 Years: The Physical Society & The Institute of Physics. 1999.
- "'Top five physics discoveries' chosen by magazine". BBC. 3 October 2013. Retrieved 25 May 2016.
- "Physics World celebrates digital award win". PPA. 29 October 2015. Retrieved 25 May 2016.
- "Journals". Ingenta. Retrieved 25 May 2016.
- "Taylor & Francis Group Corporate Website - Members of the Group". Taylorandfrancisgroup.co.uk. Retrieved 20 September 2013.
- "IOP Publishing launches ebook initiative". PPA. 18 October 2012. Retrieved 20 September 2013.
- "The state of scholarly e-books today and tomorrow: Olaf Ernst, IOP Publishing". Research Information. 9 April 2013. Retrieved 25 May 2016.
- "AAS and IOP team up to enhance knowledge of the universe". Research Information. 17 December 2013. Retrieved 25 May 2016.