This article's tone or style may not reflect the encyclopedic tone used on Wikipedia. (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|A version of the iOS operating system|
iOS 12 running on an iPhone X
|Source model||Closed with open-source components|
|Initial release||September 17, 2018|
|Latest release||12.1.2 (16C101) (December 17, 2018 ) [±]|
|Kernel type||Hybrid (XNU)|
|License||Proprietary software with open-source components|
|Preceded by||iOS 11|
iOS 12 is the twelfth major release of the iOS mobile operating system developed by Apple Inc., being the successor to iOS 11. It was announced at the company's Worldwide Developers Conference on June 4, 2018. It is similar in aesthetics to iOS 11 but contains numerous performance and battery life improvements and security updates, in addition to added functionalities within some apps. It was released to the public on September 17, 2018.
- 1 History
- 2 System features
- 3 App features
- 4 Problems
- 5 Supported devices
- 6 References
- 7 External links
Introduction and initial release
iOS 12 was introduced by Craig Federighi at the Apple Worldwide Developers Conference keynote address on June 4, 2018. The first developer beta version was released after the keynote presentation, with the first public beta releasing three weeks after on June 25, 2018.
iOS 12.0.1 was released on October 8, 2018, as the first update to iOS 12.
iOS 12.1.1 was released on December 5, 2018.
iOS 12.1.2 was realesd on December 17, 2018.
Performance optimizations were made in order to speed up common tasks across all supported iOS devices. Tests done by Apple on an iPhone 6 Plus showed apps launching 40 percent faster, the system keyboard activating 50 percent faster, and the camera opening 70 percent faster.
Screen Time is a new feature in iOS 12 that records the amount of time a user spent on the device. The feature also displays the amount of time the user used particular apps,, the amount of time the user used particular categories of apps (such as games), and the number of notifications the user received.
Screen Time also provides blocking features to limit usage of apps (with time limits) or set other restrictions such as on purchases or explicit content. It replaces Parental Controls in the iOS Settings app, but can also be used by adults to limit their own usage. These features can be used with or without a passcode. Without setting a passcode the limits can easily be bypassed but may serve as a useful reminder of usage intentions.
A dedicated application in iOS 12 allows users to set up Shortcuts, automated actions that the user can ask Siri to perform. It replaces the Workflow app that Apple acquired in March 2017.
The Voice Memos and Stocks apps are now available for iPads.
Messages in iOS 12 introduces a new type of customizable Animoji called "Memoji" which allows a user to create a 3D character of themselves. Apple also introduced Koala, Tiger, Ghost and T-Rex Animojis.
iOS 12.1, released on October 30, 2018, adds the ability to include up to 32 people in a FaceTime conversation. This feature is only supported with video by devices with the Apple A8X or Apple A9 chip or later; it is only supported for audio on iPhone 5s, iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus, and is not available at all on iPad mini 2, iPad mini 3, and iPad Air.
Notifications are now grouped and have a "manage" tab, to turn off notifications for that app or to deliver them quietly.
Do Not Disturb
Do Not Disturb now has a feature called "Do Not Disturb During Bedtime" to automatically send notifications to history, send calls to voicemail (can be changed to Favorites/Repeated calls) and has a darker screen to assist sleep. However, if the user taps the screen (or when the user's wake time passes) notifications are shown. When Do Not Disturb is turned on, a new notification will show saying that notifications and calls will be silenced when active.
Voice Memos and Stocks
The Voice Memos and Stocks apps are now on iPads. Voice Memos and Stocks have had a design refresh, and the latter has integrated Apple News.
Sending iMessages to the wrong contacts
iOS 12 merges contacts belonging to the same Apple ID into the same conversation. This cause some problems since some families share the same Apple ID, but use separate handles, such as different phone numbers, or email addresses. As a result text messages from these different individuals are merged into the same conversation thread. Sending to people using a shared Apple ID may accidentally send to any of the other devices instead.
- Juli Clover (December 17, 2018). "Apple Releases iOS 12.1.2 for iPhones With eSIM Bug Fixes". MacRumors. Retrieved December 17, 2018.
- "Releases - Apple Developer". Apple Developer. Apple Inc. December 17, 2018. Retrieved December 17, 2018.
- "Apple Releases iOS 12 With Faster Performance, Memoji, Siri Shortcuts, Screen Time, Revamped Maps App, ARKit 2.0, and More". MacRumors. Retrieved 2018-09-17.
- "Live From WWDC 2018: Coverage of Apple's Keynote with iOS 12, macOS 10.14, and More". Retrieved 2018-07-02.
- "First Beta of iOS 12 Now Available for Registered Developers". Retrieved 2018-07-02.
- "Apple Releases First Public Beta of iOS 12". Retrieved 2018-07-02.
- Clover, Juli (October 8, 2018). "Apple Releasing iOS 12.0.1 With Fixes for Wi-Fi 2.4GHz Bug, Lightning Charging Issue". MacRumors. Retrieved November 18, 2018.
- Cross, Jason (October 30, 2018). "iOS 12.1 is released, adding with Group FaceTime, new emoji, dual-SIM, and more". Macworld. Retrieved November 18, 2018.
- Cunningham, Andrew (September 17, 2018). "iOS 12 on the iPhone 5S, iPhone 6 Plus, and iPad Mini 2: It's actually faster!". Ars Technica. Condé Nast. Retrieved September 18, 2018.
- "The 17 biggest new features coming to the iPhone with iOS 12". The Verge. Retrieved 4 June 2018.
- "Screen Time for iPhone and iPad in iOS 12: Everything you need to know!". iMore. Retrieved 2018-10-09.
- "Apple shows how iOS 12 will change your next iPhone". USA TODAY. Retrieved 4 June 2018.
- "How to use Apple's new Screen Time and App Limits features in iOS 12". The Verge. Retrieved 2018-11-25.
- "Review: Screen Time for iPhone / iPad (iOS 12)". Retrieved 2018-12-01.
- Warren, Tom (September 17, 2018). "Apple's Siri Shortcuts app now available for iOS 12". The Verge. Vox Media. Retrieved September 17, 2018.
- Bohn, Dieter (March 22, 2017). "Apple bought the best utility app for the iPhone, Workflow". The Verge. Vox Media. Retrieved September 17, 2018.
- "Apple's Siri Shortcuts app now available for iOS 12". The Verge. Retrieved 2018-12-01.
- Kelly, Heather. "iOS 12 highlights: Memoji, tech addiction tool, group FaceTime". CNNMoney.
- "ARKit - Apple Developer". developer.apple.com. Retrieved 2018-07-09.
- Ashlee Clark Thompson (June 4, 2018). "Apple's Stocks, Voice Memo apps will be available for iPad, Mac".
- Christian Zibreg (June 5, 2018). "On iOS 12, iPhone X owners no longer need to hold down on apps to force-close them".
- Dolcourt, Jessica (4 June 2018). "iOS 12: Siri shortcuts, group FaceTime and 'Memoji' Animoji of you". CNET.
- "Apple Releases iOS 12.1 With eSIM Support, Real-Time Depth Control, Group FaceTime, New Emoji and More". October 30, 2018.
- "How Do Not Disturb and Notifications will change in iOS 12". iMore. Retrieved 2018-06-11.
- "Apple's Stocks, Voice Memo apps will be available for iPad, Mac". CNET. 2018-06-04. Retrieved 2018-06-07.
- "iBooks gets a redesign and new Apple Books branding in iOS 12". The Verge. Retrieved 2018-06-23.
- Keizer, Gregg. "Apple pushes privacy theme in Safari for iOS 12, 'Mojave'". Computerworld. Retrieved 2018-06-23.
- "Apple is rebuilding Maps from the ground up". TechCrunch. Retrieved 2018-08-13.
- Binder, Matt. "Apple users claim iOS 12 is sending iMessages to the wrong contacts". Mashable. Mashable. Retrieved 25 October 2018.