IPC Alpine Skiing World Championships
The World Para Alpine Skiing Championships, known before the 2017 edition as the IPC Alpine Skiing World Championships, along with the Winter Paralympic Games, are the most prestigious level of international competition in Paralympic alpine skiing. First held in 1974, the World Championships have been held every four years (even-numbered non-Paralympic years) from 198? to 2004; beginning in 2009, they have been held every other year, in odd-numbered years.
The change from holding the World Championships every four years to every two was originally set to happen in 2007. The 2007 edition was slated for Klosters, Switzerland, but organizers withdrew their bid in early 2006, citing a lack of funding. The IPC initially attempted to find a replacement host for the 2007 Championships but in April decided to cancel the event entirely.
On 30 November 2016, the IPC, which serves as the international governing body for Alpine skiing involving competitors with disabilities, adopted the "World Para" branding for the committees that govern all disability sports for which it serves as the international federation. Accordingly, future IPC world championship events in Alpine skiing will be known as "World Para Alpine Skiing Championships".
|Wikinews has news related to:|
- "The IPC to rebrand the 10 sports it acts as International Federation for" (Press release). International Paralympic Committee. 30 November 2016. Retrieved 13 December 2016.
- Athens Education Material - Paralympic Games - From 1960 to 2004, Malaysian Paralympic Council
- Winter Paralympic History, HockeyCanada.ca
- Paralympic Winter Sports Programme Build-up Archived 2010-07-07 at the Wayback Machine., The Paralympian 1/2002, International Paralympic Committee (IPC)
- History of the New Zealand Disabled Ski Team, disabledsnowsports.org.nz
- Blind Skier Gets His Kicks On The Slopes., The Leader-Post - Apr 12, 1977
- Canadian disabled team shines at winter games, The Vancouver Sun - Mar 15, 1982]
- Record-Journal - Apr 14, 1989, Google News Archive Search
- Winter Sports Celebrate New World Champions, The Paralympian 2/2000, International Paralympic Committee (IPC)
- 6th World Ski Championships for the Disabled, amputee-online.com
- Results Alpine Skiing (Anzère), International Paralympic Committee (IPC), (archived, Wayback Machine)
- Disabled 2000 The Will to Win, highbeam.com, Ski - November 1, 1999
- Panorama 2015