This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Valentin Gapontsev, CEO and Chairman|
|Products||Lasers, amplifiers and laser systems for materials processing, communications, entertainment, medical, biotechnology, scientific and advance applications.|
|Revenue||$1.4 billion (2017)|
Number of employees
|4,362 (Date: 28. Oct. 2016)|
IPG Photonics is a manufacturer of fiber lasers and fiber amplifiers. IPG is headquartered in Oxford, Massachusetts, and operates internationally. IPG Photonics developed and commercialized optical fiber lasers, which are used in a variety of applications including materials processing, medical applications and telecommunications. IPG has manufacturing facilities in the United States, Germany, Russia and Italy.
In the beginning, IPG made customized glass and crystal lasers, wireless temperature meters for hyperthermy and laser components. The foundations of the industrial fiber laser revolution were laid In 1992, when the company began focusing on the development of high-power fiber lasers and amplifiers, and a scheme for side-pumping of dual-clad single-mode fibers had been discovered by Dr. V.P. Gapontsev with coworkers. The side-pumping technique very efficiently converts multimode pump light from multiple laser diodes into one output from a single-mode fiber. Together with the fiber’s large surface-to volume ratio, allowing the simplest and most efficient cooling schemes, and all-solid state architecture, insensitive to dirt and vibration, these developments resulted in the most energy efficient, low-cost, compact, robust and reliable laser.
The firm received its first major contract from telecommunications carrier Italtel. IPG then won a second major contract from DaimlerBenz Aerospace (Dornier Branch). The company opened a facility in Germany in 1994 and established World Headquarters in the USA in 1998.
In 2000, IPG invested in new high-capacity production facilities to manufacture its own diode pumps, a major component of its fiber lasers and amplifiers. As a result, IPG is able to produce most critical components for its lasers and amplifiers.
The company went public at the end of 2006 and is listed on the NASDAQ Global Select Market under the ticker IPGP.
- Esposito, Andi (23 February 2007). "Tenacity brought success to IPG Photonics". Telegram & Gazette. Worcester, MA. Retrieved 14 Mar 2009.
- Gavin, R. (1 May 2006). "IPG shines as it builds a better laser." The Boston Globe
- "Contact/Visit IPG Photonics". Company Website. Retrieved 6 July 2012.
- "Valentin Gapontsev Receives Entrepeneur [sic] Award". Photonics.com. Retrieved 6 July 2012.
- "Laser Luminaries" (PDF). SPIE. Retrieved 6 July 2012.
- "Engineering Excellence Awards". Optical Society of America. Retrieved 6 July 2012.
- "LIA's Arthur L. Schawlow award". Fabricators & Manufacturers Association, Intl. Retrieved 6 July 2012.
- "Valentin Gapontsev". Russian Presidential Executive Office. Retrieved 6 July 2012.