Type of site
|Created by||Jeremy Phillips, Ilanah Simon Fhima|
IPKat is a law blog founded in June 2003, and dedicated to intellectual property law (IP) with a focus on European law. The content comprises news of recent judicial rulings, decisions of patent and trade mark granting authorities, primary and secondary legislation, practice and procedural notes and recent publications, together with comments.
IPKat is a registered Community Trade Mark (Registered Number: 008150286).
A feature of the blog is the expression of opinions through the often contrasting observations made by two fictional cats, the IPKat himself and his female companion Merpel. A third feline, the AmeriKat, analyses IP developments in the U.S.
The contributors are Jeremy Phillips, Birgit Clark, Mark Schweizer, Annsley Merelle Ward (a.k.a. "the AmeriKat"), and Neil J. Wilkof. Johanna Gibson stepped down in January 2009, as did David Pearce in February 2011.
Awards and recognition
In August 2008, IPKat was voted top of the 'IT law and governance' category in Computer Weekly magazine's 2008 IT blog awards. In the same year, a legal book reported it as being "one of the best-known and most successful of all law blogs".
In January 2010, the United States Library of Congress selected the IPKat for inclusion in its historic collections of Internet materials related to Legal Blawgs. In December 2010, IPKat was selected as one of the American Bar Association's Top 100 Legal Blawgs.
- Alex Newson, Deryck Houghton, Justin Patten, Blogging and other social media: exploiting the technology and protecting the enterprise, Gower Publishing, Ltd., 2008, ISBN 0-566-08789-8, p. 6.
- IPKat web page. Consulted on March 24, 2007.
- http://ipkitten.blogspot.com/2009/06/letter-from-amerikat.html, "Letter from AmeriKat", 23 June 2009. Consulted on 5 March 2010
- jeremyphillips.blogspot.com, Welcome!. Consulted on March 24, 2007.
- http://ipkitten.blogspot.com/2010/03/monday-miscellany_08.html, "Monday Miscellany", 8 March 2010. Consulted on 9, March 2010
- A little blog news, IPKat, January 14, 2009. Consulted on January 17, 2009
- http://ipkitten.blogspot.com/2011/02/wednesday-whimsies_16.html, IPKat, February 16, 2011. Consulted on February 16, 2011.
- Managing Intellectual Property, IP's most important figures MIP July 2005, July/August 2005.
- Rebecca Froley, IT law and governance blogs: Computer Weekly IT Blog Awards, April 30, 2008. Consulted on September 7, 2008.
- http://ipkitten.blogspot.com/2010/01/monday-miscellany_11.html, "Monday Miscellany",11 January 2010. Consulted on 5 March 2010
- http://www.abajournal.com/blawg100/2010/iplaw, IPKat. Consulted on February 16, 2011.
- http://ipkitten.blogspot.com/2010/12/wednesday-whimsies.html, IPKat, 1 December 2010. Consulted on February 16, 2011.