iPhone SE in Silver
|Slogan||A big step for small|
A1662 (US model)|
A1723 (Sprint and in most countries)
A1724 (China Mobile model)
|Compatible networks||GSM, CDMA, 3G, EVDO, HSPA+, LTE|
|First released||March 31, 2016(16 and 64 GB); March 21, 2017 (32 and 128 GB)|
|Availability by country|
March 21, 2017(16 and 64 GB)
|Related||iPhone 6S (Plus)|
|Weight||113 g (4.0 oz)|
Original: iOS 9.3|
Current: iOS 11.4.1, released July 9, 2018
|System on chip||Apple A9|
|CPU||1.85 GHz dual-core 64-bit ARMv8-A "Twister"|
|GPU||PowerVR GT7600 (hexa-core)|
|Memory||2 GB LPDDR4 RAM|
Discontinued: 16 and 64 GB|
Current: 32 and 128 GB
|Battery||3.82 V 6.21 W·h (1,624 mA·h) Lithium-ion battery|
|Data inputs||Multi-touch touchscreen display, Apple M9 motion coprocessor, 3-axis gyroscope, accelerometer, digital compass, proximity sensor, ambient light sensor, Touch ID fingerprint reader|
|Display||4.0 in (100 mm) Retina Display, LED-backlit IPS LCD, 1136 × 640 pixel resolution (326 ppi)|
|Rear camera||Backlit Sony Exmor RS 12 MP (1.22 μm), dual-tone LED flash, autofocus, IR filter, burst mode, f/2.2 aperture, 4K video recording at 30 fps or 1080p at 30 or 60 fps, slow-motion video (1080p at 120 fps and 720p at 240 fps)|
|Front camera||1.2 MP, f/2.4 aperture, exposure control, face detection, auto-HDR, Retina Flash, 720p video recording|
|Sound||Mono speaker, 3.5 mm stereo audio jack|
|Connectivity||Lightning Port, stereo audio jack|
Head SAR: 1.17 W/kg|
Body SAR: 1.19 W/kg
|This article is part of a series on the|
|List of iPhone models|
The previous major redesign of the iPhone, the 4.7-inch iPhone 6 and 5.5-inch iPhone 6 Plus, resulted in larger screen sizes. However a significant number of customers still preferred the 4-inch screen size of the iPhone 5 and 5S. Apple stated in their event that they sold 30 million 4-inch iPhones in 2015.
The exterior design of the iPhone SE is nearly identical to that of the iPhone 5S and the iPhone 5, with the exception of matte-chamfered edges and an inset stainless steel rear Apple logo. Cases designed to fit the 5 and the 5S will also fit an iPhone SE. The iPhone SE is available in space gray, silver, gold and rose gold.
The iPhone SE incorporates the Apple A9 system-on-chip (SoC) with an M9 motion coprocessor and supports near field communication for Apple Pay. It was released with 16 GB or 64 GB of internal storage. It features a 12 megapixel rear-facing camera with the ability to record 720p at 30 frames per second. Unlike the iPhone 6S and 6S Plus, the SE does not include 3D Touch, nor the updated faster second-generation Touch ID sensor from the 6S and 6S Plus, or its barometer.
CNET was positive, considering the iPhone SE to be a "great choice at the small end, with no compromises".  CNET also lauded Apple for accomplishing the task of adapting the 6S's hardware to three different form factors; the smaller SE, 4.7-inch 6S, and 5.5-inch 6S Plus.
The Verge considered the iPhone SE to be "a much-improved, well-designed, small phone with great battery life" and a "great upgrade" for existing owners of the 4S or 5S models, noting the device's familiar form factor, high performance (going as far as considering the screen size itself to be the only hindrance to multitasking and certain apps), and improved battery life. Giving the device an 8.7 out of 10, Goode argued that "the iPhone SE is not a tiny little engine of innovation. It's today's tech in yesterday's phone body. As with anything, we should be wary of giving too much praise to something that's just doing its job."
Timeline of models
- "iPhone SE 4/7開賣 5大電信公布預約日 | 重點新聞 | 中央社即時新聞 CNA NEWS". 中央通訊社 (in Chinese). Retrieved June 28, 2016.
- Miller, Chance (March 30, 2016). "First iPhone SE teardown reveals mainly 5s/6s parts inside, but a few surprises too". 9to5Mac. Retrieved March 31, 2016.
- "What the iPhone SE stands for – and what we think it should stand for". TechRadar. Retrieved March 21, 2017.
- "With the iPhone SE, Apple Returns to a Masterpiece of Design". Wired.com. March 22, 2016. Retrieved April 1, 2016.
- "iPhone SE Reviews: Apple's Strange Case Of Jekyll And Hyde". Forbes.com. March 26, 2016. Retrieved April 1, 2016.
- "Yes, your old iPhone 5s case will fit on the new iPhone SE". Macworld. IDG. Retrieved March 22, 2016.
- "Apple shows off 4-inch iPhone SE, iOS 9.3". Geek.com. Ziff Davis. Retrieved March 22, 2016.
- H., Victor (March 21, 2016). "Apple iPhone SE TouchID is the same as in 5s, same as the iPhone 6s fingerprint sensor". PhoneArena. Retrieved March 22, 2016.
- "5 features you don't get with the iPhone SE". CNET. CBS Interactive. Retrieved March 22, 2016.
- "Apple doubles iPhone SE storage to 32GB and 128GB". The Verge. Retrieved March 21, 2017.
- "Minor iPhone bump turns the 7 and 7 Plus red, gives iPhone SE more storage". Ars Technica. Retrieved March 21, 2017.
- "iPhone SE vs. iPhone 6 and 6S: which Apple smartphone should you get?". The Verge. Vox Media. Retrieved March 22, 2016.
- "Apple iPhone SE review: Small wonder". CNET. CBS Interactive. Retrieved September 28, 2016.
- Goode, Lauren. "iPhone SE review: today's tech, yesterday's design". The Verge. Vox Media. Retrieved September 28, 2016.
- Apple Inc. (2007-2018). iPhone News - Newsroom Archive. Retrieved June 7, 2018.
- iPhone SE – official site
| iPhone SE