iPhone XS Max in silver
|Manufacturer||Foxconn (on contract)|
|Slogan||Welcome to the big screens.|
|Compatible networks||GSM, CDMA2000, EV-DO, HSPA+, LTE, LTE Advanced|
|First released||September 21, 2018|
|Availability by Region|
H: 143.6 mm (5.65 in)
W: 70.9 mm (2.79 in)
D: 7.7 mm (0.30 in)
H: 157.5 mm (6.20 in)
W: 77.4 mm (3.05 in)
D: 7.7 mm (0.30 in)
XS: 177 g (6.2 oz)|
XS Max: 208 g (7.3 oz)
Original: iOS 12.0|
Current: iOS 12.0, released September 17, 2018
|System on chip||Apple A12 Bionic|
|CPU||2.49 GHz hexa-core 64-bit|
|Storage||64, 256 or 512 GB|
XS: 3.81 V 10.13 W·h (2658 mA·h) Li-ion|
XS Max: 3.80 V 12.08 W·h (3174 mA·h) Li-ion
XS: 5.85 in (149 mm), 2436x1125 px |
XS Max: 6.46 in (164 mm), 2688×1242 px
All models: 458 ppi, Super Retina HD: OLED, 625 cd/m² max. brightness (typical), with dual-ion exchange-strengthened glass, and 3D Touch
|Other||IP68 IEC standard 60529 (splash, water, and dust resistant), Qi wireless charging, USB-C to Lightning (connector) fast charging|
|Hearing aid compatibility||M3, T4|
|Website||iPhone XS - Apple|
|This article is part of a series on the|
|List of iPhone models|
iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max (stylized as iPhone Xs and iPhone Xs Max, Roman numeral "X" pronounced "ten") are smartphones designed, developed and marketed by Apple Inc. It is the twelfth generation of the iPhone, succeeding the iPhone X as the flagship devices in the iPhone series. They were announced on September 12, 2018 alongside the lower-priced iPhone XR at Steve Jobs Theater in Apple Park, Cupertino by Apple CEO Tim Cook, with pre-orders beginning September 14, 2018 and official release on September 21, 2018.
The XS has a design similar to the X but includes upgraded hardware like the A12 Bionic chip, built with a 7 nanometer process. It also features a 5.85-inch (149 mm) OLED screen and contains dual 12-megapixel rear cameras and a 7-megapixel front-facing camera. The XS Max features the same hardware and cameras, but has a larger 6.46-inch (164 mm) OLED screen and larger battery. It was also heavily noted in the media that the XS received a smaller battery than that of the X (dropping to 2,658 mAh from 2,716 mAh).
The XS and XS Max are rated IP68 for dust and water resistance under IEC standard 60529, with Apple specifying a maximum depth of 2 meters and up to 30 minutes of submersion. This is an improvement in water resistance over the iPhone 8 and X. Apple has performed tests in various liquids including chlorinated water, salt water, tea, wine, beer and juices.
Due to the release of the XS and XS Max, the X was discontinued meaning that, with a shelf life of only 10 months, it had the shortest ever tenure as flagship device in the history of the iPhone.
Internationally, the XS and XS Max will support dual SIMs through a Nano-SIM and an eSIM. In mainland China, Hong Kong and Macau, the XS Max will come with a dual Nano-SIM tray (and no eSIM) while the XS will support a single Nano-SIM. As the XS does not have a dual Nano-SIM tray, eSIM is supported only in Hong Kong and Macau but not in mainland China.
The wireless charging coil is now made of copper to reduce charging time.
Timeline of iPhone models
- Fingas, Roger. "Foxconn taking charge of vast majority of iPhone production this fall". Apple Insider. Retrieved 12 September 2018.
- Hardy, Ed (13 September 2018). "Geekbench scores reveal RAM upgrades in new iPhones". Cult of Mac. Retrieved 18 September 2018.
- Gurman, Mark. "Apple unveils big, $1,099 iPhone XS Max and pitches upgraded Apple Watch as health device". latimes.com. Retrieved 13 September 2018.
- Hern, Alex (12 September 2018). "Apple launches iPhone XS, XS Max and XR – as it happened". The Guardian. Retrieved 12 September 2018.
- Kastrenakes, Jacob. "New iPhone XS and huge 6.5-inch XS Max announced". The Verge. Retrieved 12 September 2018.
- Kelly, Gordon. "Apple's iPhone XS Has A Nasty Surprise". Forbes. Retrieved 2018-09-23.
- "iPhone XS - Technical Specifications". Apple. Retrieved 2018-09-20.
- Crook, Jordan. "Apple introduces the iPhone Xs and iPhone Xs Max". TechCrunch. Retrieved 12 September 2018.
- "iPhone XS - 技术规格". Apple (in Chinese). Retrieved September 16, 2018.
- "iPhone XS - Technical Specifications". Apple. Retrieved September 16, 2018.
- "iPhone XS - 技術規格". Apple (in Chinese). Retrieved September 16, 2018.
- Apple Inc. (2007-2018). iPhone News - Newsroom Archive. Retrieved June 7, 2018.