IP over DWDM (IPoDWDM) is a technology used in telecommunications networks to integrate IP Routers and Switches in the OTN (Optical Transport Network). A true IPoDWDM solution is implemented only when the IP Routers and Switches support ITU-T G.709. In this way IP devices can monitor the optical path and implement the transport functionality as FEC (Forward Error Correction) specified by ITU-T G.709/Y.1331 or Super FEC functionality defined in ITU-T G.975.1.
This approach saves network components including shelves, processors, interfaces cards and hence it permits to reduce the power consumption, OPEX (Operational expenditure) and CAPEX (capital expenditure). This approach brings also a simplification of the network, eliminating the SDH/SONET intermediate layer.
- “Interfaces for Optical Transport Network (OTN)”, ITU-T G.709/Y.1331
- “Forward error correction for high bit-rate DWDM submarine systems”, ITU-T G.975.1
- Virgilio Puglia, Olga Zadedyurina, “optical transport networks: from all-optical to digital”, IEEE,31/08/2009 ISBN 978-92-61-12891-3
- D. Ventorini, E. Moura, L. Paraschis, O. Gerstel, M. Silva, K. Wollenweber, A.J. Silverio, P.P. Henrique, L.A.C. Silva “Demonstration and evaluation of IP-over-DWDM networking as "alien-wavelength" over existing carrier DWDM infrastructure”, Optical Fiber communication/ National Fiber Optic Engineers Conference, Issue , 24–28 February 2008 Page(s):1 – 6
- Amplified multichannel DWDM applications with single channel optical interfaces”, ITU-T G.698.2
|This computer networking article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|