Islamic Republic of Iran Broadcasting
|Type||Broadcast radio, television and online|
|Owner||Government of Iran (publicly owned)|
|Abdulali Ali-Asgari (Director-General)
Ali Darabi (Vice Director)
The Islamic Republic of Iran Broadcasting (IRIB) (Persian: صدا و سيمای جمهوری اسلامی ايران, Sedā va Sima-ye Jomhūrī-ye Eslāmī-ye Īrān, lit. Voice and Vision of the Islamic Republic of Iran), formerly called the National Iranian Radio and Television until the Islamic revolution of 1979, is an Iranian media corporation which hold the monopoly of domestic radio and television services in Iran, is also among the largest media organizations in Asian and Pacific region, and a regular member of Asia-Pacific Broadcasting Union.  IRIB is independent of the Iranian government and its head is appointed directly by the leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei.
With 13,000 employees and branches in 20 countries worldwide, including France, Belgium, Malaysia, Lebanon, United Kingdom, the United States, the Islamic Republic of Iran Broadcasting offers both domestic and foreign radio and television services, broadcasting 12 domestic television channels, 4 international news television channels, six satellite television channels for international audiences, and 30 provincial television channel available countrywide and of which make use of local accents or dialects. The IRIB provides twelve radio stations for domestic audiences and through the IRIB World Service thirty radio stations are available for foreign and international audiences. In addition also publishes the Persian-language newspaper Jaam-e Jam.
IRIB's place in Iran's civil code
According to Article 175 of the Iranian constitution,
- The freedom of expression and dissemination of thoughts in the Radio and Television of the Islamic Republic of Iran must be guaranteed in keeping with the Islamic criteria and the best interests of the country.
- The appointment and dismissal of the head of the Radio and Television of the Islamic Republic of Iran rests with the Leader. A council consisting of two representatives each of the President, the head of the judiciary branch, and the Islamic Consultative Assembly, the Iranian parliament shall supervise the functioning of this organization.
- The policies and the manner of managing the organization and its supervision will be determined by law.
The constitution further specifies that the director of the organization is chosen directly by the Supreme Leader for five years, and the head of the judiciary branch, the president, the Islamic Consultative Assembly oversee the organization. The first director after 1979 Revolution was Sadeq Qotbzadeh. The current director is Mohammad Sarafraz. The previous directors included Ezzatollah Zarghami, Ali Larijani and Mohammad Hashemi Rafsanjani. Sima Festival is the biggest and most important TV productions contest sponsoring annually by IRIB organization. Winners are the best producers, directors, actors and directors in various categories honored by organization's head and receive valuable prizes.
Facts about IRIB
||This section is in a list format that may be better presented using prose. (September 2014)|
- IRIB has branches in 20 countries worldwide, including France, India, Belgium, Malaysia, UK, the United States, and broadcasts in more than 30 languages.
- IRIB broadcasts 12 national television channels, 4 international news television channel, 6 satellite television channels for international viewers, and 30 provincial television channel all around Iran. Fifty percent of those 30 provincial channels use the local accent or dialect. The IRIB provides twelve major radio stations as well, and an international service. IRIB has 27 world service channels.
- IRIB also has Arabic, Hindi, English and Spanish channels, beside the native Persian.
- IRIB produces 5000 hours of TV shows, 300 movies and 20,000 minutes of animated movies, annually.
- Total number of employees: 13,000 to 50,000 
- 45.5% of Iran's youth report trust in news broadcast by the Islamic Republic of Iran Broadcasting (IRIB).
- Total budget of IRIB is about $900 million–1 billion which is maintained by advertisement and governmental budget.
- Soroush Press, a publisher of some magazines including Soroush Weekly, Soroush Koodakan, Soroush Nojavan, Soroush Javan, Soroush Banovan and publishes books, too. It was founded at 1975.
- Jamejam Daily is the official organ of the IRIB organization.
- IRIB News Department is a news agency affiliated to the IRIB Organization.
- IRIB has a movie production company, called Sima Film.
- IRIB also outsources media production to numerous privately owned domestic media companies.
- [TAKTA Co.] produce technical equipment such as transmition and switching systems for IRIB
- [Soroush Rasaneh co.] IT & ICT Company related to IRIB Which is provide IPTV services and it has 26 branch offices in Iran.
- [Soroush Multimedia Co.] provides CD/DVD of IRIB programs and holds some special short term education in 31 offices all over provinces of Iran.
- [IRIB Pension Fund Co.] is holding company(Mother Co.) of 17 related company to IRIB such as Soroush Multimedia Co. & Soroush Rasaneh Co. & TAKTA CO.
- [IRIB University] provides some courses related to media
- [IRIB research Center] is responsible for researches in social and religion field related to Media.
- [IRIB Media Trade] known before as Cima Media Int'l (CMI), is the sole representative of IRIB in distribution of its productions (documentaries, feature films, TV series,Tele films and animations ) as well as program acquisition for IRIB localTV channels.
Director general of IRIB is Dr. Abdol Ali Aliaskari who is appointed by supreme leader of Iran in 2016.
|#||President||Years||Time in post|
|1||Reza Ghotbi||1966–1979||13 years|
|2||Sadegh Ghotbzadeh||1979–1981||2 years|
|—||Mohammad Mousavi Khoeiniha (acting)||1981–1984||3 years|
|3||Mohammad Hashemi Rafsanjani||1984–1994||10 years|
|4||Ali Larijani||1994–2004||10 years|
|5||Ezzatollah Zarghami||2004–2014||10 years|
|6||Mohammad Sarafraz||2014–2016||2 years|
|7||Abdulali Ali-Asghari||2016–present||in post|
- "IRIB's Testimony Submitted to The WHO Public Hearings on FCTC" (PDF).
- "Can Iran's new TV chief bring IRIB, Rouhani closer?".
- Dehghan, Saeed Kamali (6 February 2014). "Rouhanicare: Iran's president promises healthcare for all by 2018". theguardian.com. The Guardian.
... IRIB is independent of the Iranian government and its head is appointed directly by the supreme leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei. It is the only legal TV and radio broadcaster inside the country but millions of Iranians watch foreign-based channels via illegal satellite dishes on rooftops. ...
- Comments Press TV. Archived July 15, 2011, at the Wayback Machine.
- "IRIB at a glance". Islamic Republic of Iran Broadcasting. 2010. Retrieved 14 August 2014.
- Pahlavi, Pierre (May 2012). "Understanding Iran’s Media Diplomacy" (PDF). Israel Journal of Foreign Affairs. Israel Council on Foreign Relations. 6 (2): 22.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2015-01-14. Retrieved 2015-11-22.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Islamic Republic of Iran Broadcasting.|
- official website (in Persian)
- Official website for IRIB's domestic radio services (in Persian)
- Official website for IRIB's domestic television services (in Persian)
- Multilingual website of IRIB World Service