||This article contains orbital elements but does not include an epoch, or date when those elements, which typically vary over time, were correct.|
|Mission type||Earth Observation, Remote Sensing|
|Mission duration||9 years, 10 months|
|Launch mass||922 kilograms (2,033 lb)|
|Start of mission|
|Launch date||March 21, 1996|
|Launch site||Sriharikota FLP|
|Perigee||814 kilometres (506 mi)|
|Apogee||820 kilometres (510 mi)|
|Epoch||06 June 2016 19:50:06 (UTC)|
IRS-P3 was an experimental earth observation mission undertaken by ISRO. The objectives of the mission was processing and interpretation of data generated by its two payloads, the Wide Field sensor and Modular Optoelectric Sensor, developed by the German Aerospace Center).
IRS-P3 is remote sensing satellite launched by ISRO on board of PSLV rocket for Remote sensing of earth's natural resources and Study of X-ray Astronomy. The IRS-P3 satellite contained an X-ray astronomy payload, a C-band transponder and two remote sensing payloads. IRS-P3 is one of the satellite in the Indian Remote Sensing series of Earth Observation satellites, assembled, launched and maintained by Indian Space Research Organisation. There was no data recording device on board of the IRS-P3 and data was transmitted in real time to the ground stations in Hyderabad (India) and Neustrelitz (Germany). The mission was completed during January 2006 after serving for 9 years and 10 months. With the consecutive successful launches of the PSLV, it was decided not to plan any more ASLV missions.
IRS-P3 carried two payloads:
- Wide Field sensor(WiFS) with additional Short Wave Infrared Band (SWIR). The sensor was designed for vegetation dynamic studies.
- Modular Opto-electronic Scanner (MOS) which was provided by DLR (Germany) in the framework of a cooperative agreement between ISRO and DLR. MOS was designed for ocean remote sensing.
- "MOS - A spaceborne imaging spectrometer for ocean remote sensing". ioccg.org. Retrieved 2013-02-02.
- "International Ocean Colour Coordinating Group (IOCCG)".
- "Space Yuga".
- "IRS-P3". isro.org. Retrieved 2013-02-02.
- "ESA EarthNet Online".
- "Science Direct". Bibcode:1996AcAau..39..711T. doi:10.1016/S0094-5765(97)00053-2.
- "National Remote Sensing Centre(NSRC)".