ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 38
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 38 Cloud Computing and Distributed Platforms is a standardization subcommittee, which is part of the Joint Technical Committee ISO/IEC JTC 1 of the International Organization for Standardization (ISO) and the International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC). ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 38 was formed at the October 2009 ISO/IEC JTC 1 Plenary Meeting in Tel Aviv via approval of Resolution 36. The international secretariat of ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 38 is the American National Standards Institute (ANSI), located in the United States. The first meeting of the subcommittee took place in Beijing, China in May 2010. ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 38 approved its scope, established three working groups and developed terms of reference for each at this inaugural meeting.
Established to address three related areas of technology - Web Services, Service Oriented Architecture (SOA), and Cloud Computing - ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 38 was initially titled Distributed Application Platforms and Services (DAPS). Meeting in Plenary 2 times per year during its first 6 years, with interim electronic and face-to-face meetings of its Working Groups, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 38 completed work in Web Services and SOA and increased its focus on Cloud Computing. To reflect this evolution in focus, the JTC 1 2014 Plenary Meeting in Abu Dhabi approved a revised scope and new title for ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 38, Cloud Computing and Distributed Platforms.
Scope and mission
The scope of ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 38 is the “Standardization in the area of Cloud Computing and Distributed Platforms”.  This includes:
- Service Oriented Architecture (SOA)
- Service Level Agreement
- Interoperability and Portability
- Data and their Flow Across Devices and Cloud Services
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 38 is made up of four working groups (WGs). Each working group carries out specific tasks in standards development within the field of Cloud Computing and Distributed Platforms, where the focus of each working group is described in the group’s terms of reference. The four working groups of ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 38 are:
|Working Group||Working Area|
|ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 38/WG 2||Service Oriented Architecture (SOA)|
|ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 38/WG 3||Cloud Computing Service Level Agreements (CCSLA)|
|ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 38/WG 4||Cloud Computing Interoperability and Portability (CCIP)|
|ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 38/WG 5||Cloud Computing Data and its Flow (CCDF)|
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 38 works closely with a number of other JTC 1 subcommittees, including ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 7, Software and Systems Engineering, and ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 27, IT Security Techniques. In addition, the subcommittee works with a number of external forums, including the Cloud Security Alliance, Distributed Management Task Force (DMTF), the Open Grid Forum and The Open Group. Together, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 38 (specifically WG 3: Cloud Computing) and ITU-T/SG 13 formed Collaborative Teams on Cloud Computing Overview and Vocabulary (CT-CCVOCAB) and Cloud Computing Reference Architecture (CT-CCRA) that developed two standards: ISO/IEC JTC 1 17788 – Cloud Computing Vocabulary and ISO/IEC JTC 1 17789 – Cloud Computing Reference Architecture.
Organizations internal to ISO or IEC that collaborate with or are in liaison to ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 38 include:
- ISO/IEC JTC 1/WG 7, Sensor networks
- ISO/IEC JTC 1/WG 9, Big Data
- ISO/IEC JTC 1/WG 10, Internet of Things
- ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 6, Telecommunications and information exchange between systems
- ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 7, Software and systems engineering
- ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 27, Security techniques
- ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 32, Data management and interchange
- ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 37, Biometrics
- ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 39, Sustainability for and by Information Technology
- ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 40, Service Management and IT Governance
Organizations external to ISO or IEC that collaborate with or are in liaison to ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 38 include:
- Cloud security alliance (CSA)
- Distributed Management Task Force (DMTF)
- IEEE Computer Society
- Latino American Institute for Quality Assurance (INLAC)
- ITU‐T Study Group 13
- ITU‐T Study Group 17
- Organization for the Advancement of Structured Information Standards (OASIS)
- Open Grid Forum (OGF)
- Storage Networking Industry (SNIA)
- The Open Group
- Cloud Standards Customer Council (CSCC)
Countries pay a fee to ISO to be members of subcommittees.
The 29 "P" (participating) members of ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 38 are: Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, China, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, India, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Republic of Korea, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Russian Federation, Singapore, Slovakia, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom, and United States of America.
The 8 "O" (observing) members of ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 38 are: Argentina, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Czech Republic, Hong Kong, New Zealand, Norway, Serbia, and Uruguay.
As of 2013, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 38 has 6 published standards. Some standards related to the work in ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 38 include:
|ISO/IEC 17963||Web Services for Management (WS-Management) Specification||Published (2013)||Describes a Web services protocol based on SOAP for use in management‑specific domains||1|
|ISO/IEC TR 30102||Information technology – Distributed Application Platforms and Services (DAPS) – General technical principles of Service Oriented Architecture||Published (2012)||Describes general technical principles underlying SOA including principles relating to functional design, performance, development, deployment and management||2|
|ISO/IEC 17998||Information technology – SOA Governance Framework||Published (2012)||Describes a framework for providing context and definitions related to SOA for organizations to use when deploying SOA governance. Defines:
|ISO/IEC 17826||Information technology – Cloud Data Management Interface (CDMI)||Published (2012)||Specifies the interface to access cloud storage and to manage the stored data||3|
|ISO/IEC 17788||Information technology -- Cloud computing -- Overview and vocabulary||Published (2014)||Provides an overview of cloud computing along with a set of terms and definitions|
The types of standards that are currently under development or published within ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 38, by working group, include:
- WG 1: Web Services standards: address areas directly related to web services. Developed mainly by consortia members and approved through the JTC 1 PAS Process and Fast Track.
- WG 2: SOA standards: outline a single set of SOA technical principals and terminology to be used as a guide for future SOA solutions
- WG 3: Cloud Computing (CC) standards: define cloud computing vocabulary and reference architecture, including general concepts and characteristics of Cloud Computing, types of Cloud Computing, components of Cloud Computing, and Cloud Computing roles and actors. The standards also:
- ISO/IEC JTC1
- List of ISO standards
- American National Standards Institute
- International Organization for Standardization
- International Electrotechnical Commission
- ISO. "ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 38 - Cloud Computing and Distributed Platforms". Retrieved 2013-07-12.
- JTC 1/SC 38 Chair (2014-10-23). "Business Plan for JTC 1/SC 38".
- "ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 38". ISO. Retrieved 2015-07-20.
- ISO. "JTC 1/SC 38 Cloud Computing and Distributed Platforms". ISO. Retrieved 2013-07-12.
- Krutz, Ronald L.; Vines, Russell Dean (2010). Cloud Security: A Comprehensive Guide to Secure Cloud Computing. Indianapolis, IN: Wiley Publishing, Inc. p. 225. Retrieved 2013-07-19.
- O’Gara, Maureen (2011-04-24). "Cloud Security Alliance & ISO/IEC Team Up". Cloud Ventures. SYS-CON Media, Inc. Retrieved 2013-07-12.
- "ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 38". ISO. Retrieved 2015-07-20.
- ISO (June 2012). "III. What Help Can I Get from the ISO Central Secretariat?". ISO Membership Manual (PDF). ISO. pp. 17–18. Retrieved 2013-07-12.
- ISO. "Standards Catalogue". Retrieved 2013-07-12.
- ISO (2012-08-31). "ISO/IEC 17998:2012". ISO. Retrieved 2013-07-19.
- ISO (2014-10-10). "ISO/IEC 17788:2014". ISO. Retrieved 2015-08-21.
- Nahari, Hadi; Krutz, Ronald L. (2011-05-05). Web Commerce Security: Design and Development. John Wiley & Sons. Retrieved 2013-07-19.
- Deutsch, Donald (December 2011). "Cloud Computing". ISO Focus +. pp. 12–14. Retrieved 2013-07-16.
- Carlson, M. (2011-05-16). Draft Study Group on Cloud Computing Report V.2 (PDF) (Report). ISO/IEC. p. 11. Retrieved 2013-07-16.