ISO 15118 Road vehicles -- Vehicle to grid communication interface is an international standard defining a vehicle to grid (V2G) communication interface for bi-directional charging/discharging of electric vehicles. ISO 15118 is one of the International Electrotechnical Commission's group of standards for electric road vehicles and electric industrial trucks, and is the responsibility of Joint Working Group 1 (JWG1 V2G) of IEC Technical Committee 69 (TC69) together with subcommittee 31 (SC31) of the International Organization for Standardization's Technical Committee 22 (TC22) on road vehicles.
ISO 15118 consists of the following parts, detailed in separate standard documents:
- ISO 15118-1: General information and use-case definition
- ISO 15118-2: Network and application protocol requirements
- ISO 15118-3: Physical and data link layer requirements
- ISO 15118-4: Network and application protocol conformance test
- ISO/FDIS 15118-5: Physical and data link layer conformance test
- ISO/DIS 15118-6: General information and use-case definition for wireless communication
- ISO/CD 15118-7: Network and application protocol requirements for wireless communication
- ISO/FDIS 15118-8: Physical layer and data link layer requirements for wireless communication
Use of ISO 15118 in heavy duty vehicles
The ISO 15118 is also used as communication protocol for charging of heavy duty vehicles as:
When using the ISO 15118 in a commercial operation the use of WLAN (ISO 15118-8) must be considered carefully since there is no way to guarantee operation uptime when using wireless communication based on WLAN . For these situations the same protocol as for passenger car charging can be used (ISO 15118-3 powerline communication).
- IEC Technical Committee 69
- ISO technical committee 22 subcommittee 31
- ISO technical committee 22