ISO 3166-2:TW is the entry for Taiwan in ISO 3166-2, part of the ISO 3166 standard published by the International Organization for Standardization (ISO), which defines codes for the names of the principal subdivisions (e.g., provinces or states) of all countries coded in ISO 3166-1. Due to the political status of Taiwan in the United Nations, the ISO 3166-1 full name is Taiwan, Province of China.
The definition of ISO 3166-2:TW includes the divisions located in Taiwan (Formosa), Penghu (the Pescadores), Kinmen, Matzu and their subsidiary islands. Politically, these areas are governed by the Republic of China, including Taiwan Province, Fukien Province and several special municipalities. Currently ISO 3166-2:TW lists 13 districts, 3 municipalities, and 6 special municipalities.
Note that the districts (counties) and the municipalities (provincial cities) are part of the Taiwan Province and Fukien Province of the Republic of China, while the special municipalities are not part of the province. Since the streamlining of the Taiwan Province in 1998, these subdivisions are regarded as the principal subdivisions of Taiwan.
- Each code consists of two parts, separated by a hyphen. The first part is TW, the ISO 3166-1 alpha-2 code of Taiwan. The second part is three letters.
- The divisions in the list are categorized in three types:
- Districts: Romanized as hsien, translated to counties (縣). The divisions carry County (縣) in their official name.
- Municipalities: Romanized as shih, translated to provincial cities (市). The divisions carry City (市) in their official name.
- Special municipalities: Translated to special municipalities (直轄市). The divisions also carry City (市) in their official name.
- Taiwan is also assigned the ISO 3166-2 code CN-71 under ISO 3166-2:CN (China), as the People's Republic of China considers it as a province of China.
Subdivision names are listed as in the ISO 3166-2 standard published by the ISO 3166 Maintenance Agency (ISO 3166/MA).
|Code||Subdivision name||Subdivision category|
|TW-NWT||New Taipei||special municipality|
The following changes to the entry have been announced in newsletters by the ISO 3166/MA since the first publication of ISO 3166-2 in 1998:
|Newsletter/OBP||Date issued||Description of change in newsletter||Code/Subdivision change|
|Newsletter I-4||2002-12-10||Error correction: Duplicate use of six code elements corrected. Subdivision categories in header re-sorted||
Codes: (to correct duplicate use)
|OBP||2015-11-27||Addition of category name for special municipality in zho; change of spelling of TW-ILA; deletion of districts TW-KHQ, TW-TNQ, TW-TPQ, TW-TXQ; addition of districts TW-KIN,TW-LIE and special municipality TW-NWT; change of subdivision category from municipalities to special municipalities for TW-TXG, TW-TNN; change of subdivision category from district to special municipality for TW-TAO; update List Source.||
Subdivision category changed: