The researchers' decision to study webcam indicator lights resulted from the widely reported WebcamGate case, in which a remote access tool installed on school-issued laptops took photographs of unconsenting students.
Journalists observed that Apple had sold their laptops as having a "hardware interlock" that was supposed to prevent such an attack, and called on Apple to implement hardware switches or other strong privacy protections.
The Apple laptops affected are capable of running a variety of operating systems, including macOS, Microsoft Windows, and Linux. Mitigations against iSeeYou may vary by operating system. The researchers released a macOS kernel extension, iSightDefender, to reduce the attack surface under macOS.
- "iSeeYou: Disabling the MacBook Webcam Indicator LED". Jscholarship.library.jhu.edu. 2013-12-11. Retrieved 2017-05-05.
- Mlot, Stephanie (2013-12-20). "Is Your MacBook Webcam Watching You? | News & Opinion". PCMag.com. Retrieved 2017-05-05.
- Tech Insider. "MacBook Webcam Spy Hack". Business Insider. Retrieved 2017-05-05.
- Soltani, Ashkan (2013-12-18). "Research shows how MacBook Webcams can spy on their users without warning". The Washington Post. Retrieved 2017-05-05.
- "Macbook webcams CAN spy on you - and you simply CAN'T TELL". Theregister.co.uk. Retrieved 2017-05-05.
- "Apple: Sicherheitslücke erlaubt Zugriff auf iSight-Kamera - COMPUTER BILD". Computerbild.de. 2013-12-19. Retrieved 2017-05-05.
- Hilton, Nick (2013-12-19). "Researchers Hack Webcam While Disabling Warning Lights". New York Times. Retrieved 2017-05-05.
- Schaffhauser, Dian. "MacBook Webcams Vulnerable to 'Peek' Hacking". The Journal. Retrieved 2017-05-05.
- Charles Arthur. "Boot up: mobile scale, Titan's work, webcam spying, Bitcoin woes and more | Technology". The Guardian. Retrieved 2017-05-05.
- Cole, Shane (2013-12-18). "Researchers find way to activate iSight cameras without alerting users". Appleinsider.com. Retrieved 2017-05-05.
- Peckham, Matt (2013-12-20). "Miss Teen USA's Webcam Hacked | TIME.com". Techland.time.com. Retrieved 2017-05-05.
|This technology-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|