Information technology infrastructure is defined broadly as a set of information technology (IT) components that are the foundation of an IT service; typically physical components (computer and networking hardware and facilities), but also various software and network components.
Enterprise IT infrastructure typically refers to components required for the existence, operation and management of an enterprise IT environment. It can be internal to an organization and deployed within owned facilities, or deployed within a cloud computing system, or a combination thereof. An IT infrastructure consists of a set of physical devices and software applications that are required to operate the entire enterprise.
All of the hardware, software, networks, facilities, etc., that are required to develop, test, deliver, monitor, control or support IT services. The term IT infrastructure includes all of the Information Technology but not the associated People, Processes and documentation.
A mainframe is the central data repository, or hub, in a corporation's data processing center, linked to users through less powerful devices such as workstations or terminals. The presence of a mainframe often implies a centralized form of computing, as opposed to a distributed form of computing.
- Converged infrastructure
- Dynamic infrastructure
- Hyper-converged infrastructure
- Information infrastructure
- Infrastructure as a service
- Infrastructure as code
- Software-defined infrastructure
- Simon 1996, p. 33.
- Laan 2001, pp. 36–37.
- van der Veen & van Bon 2007.
- "What is infrastructure (IT infrastructure)? - Definition from WhatIs.com". SearchDataCenter. Retrieved 2019-10-06.
- Simon, Errol (1996). Distributed information systems: from client/server to distributed multimedia. McGraw-Hill. ISBN 9780077090760.
- Laan, Sjaak (2011). IT Infrastructure Architecture: Infrastructure Building Blocks and Concepts. Lulu Press. ISBN 9781447881285.
- van der Veen, Annelies; van Bon, Jan (2007). Foundations of ITIL V3. Van Haren Publishing. ISBN 978-90-8753-057-0.
- Rouse, Margaret (2017). "A DevOps primer: Start, improve and extend your DevOps teams", "TechTarget Search Data Center". Retrieved 28 September 2019.
|This computing article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|