International Union of Geological Sciences
This article relies largely or entirely upon a single source (publications of IUGS, the subject of this article). Relevant discussion may be found on the talk page. Please help improve this article by introducing citations to additional sources. (February 2017)
|Motto||Earth Science for the Global Community|
|Type||INGO, standards organization|
|Headquarters||Founded in Paris, France, secretariat in Beijing, China|
|Qiuming Cheng (Canada/China)|
|Sec.Gen.: Stanley Finney (US) |
Treasurer: Hiroshi Kitazato (Japan)
|International Council for Science|
The IUGS was founded in 1961 and is a Scientific Union member of the International Council for Science (ICSU), which it recognizes as the coordinating body for the international organization of science. Currently geologists from 121 countries (and regions) are represented in IUGS through a 121 Adhering Organization. A broad range of Scientific topics are covered by its Commission, Task Groups, Joint Programmes, Affiliated Organizations. IUGS promotes and encourages the study of geological problems, especially those of worldwide significance, and supports and facilitates international and interdisciplinary cooperation in the earth sciences. The Union's Secretariat is currently located at the Chinese Academy of Geological Sciences in Beijing, China
IUGS is a joint partner with UNESCO for the International Geoscience Programme (IGCP) and they also participate in the Global Geoparks Network (GGN). The Geological Society of London oversees the production and distribution of IUGS Publications. The Geological Society of India produces and distributes the Union's quarterly journal, entitled Episodes, as well as providing editorial support. Interested parties can download the latest issues of Episodes free of charge
As of 2014[update] IUGS runs six international commissions covering the following topics:
- Commission for the Management and Application of Geoscience Information (CGI)
- Geoscience Education, Training and Technology Transfer (COGE)
- Geoscience for Environmental Management (GEM)
- International Commission on Stratigraphy (ICS)
- International Commission on the History of Geological Sciences (INHIGEO)
- Commission on Tectonics and Structural Geology (TECTASK)
On the 31st of August 2016 at the Fourth Ordinary Session of the IUGS Council Meeting in Cape Town the establishment of an IUGS Commission on Global Geochemical Baselines was approved.
The Union is the main scientific sponsor of the International Geological Congress (IGC), which takes place every four years. South Africa and Cape Town hosted the 35th International Geological Congress in 2016. The 34th Session of the International Geological Congress took place in Brisbane, Australia in August 2012, where IUGS-IGC Council decided that India will host the 36th session in 2020.
The IUGS Scientific Awards of Excellence:
- IUGS Émile Argand Award
- IUGS James M. Harrison Award
- IUGS Award for Geoscience Information
- IUGS Award for Structural Geology
- Vladimir V. Tikhomirov History of Geology Medal by the IUGS Commission on the History of Geology (INHIGEO).
- Digby McLaren Medal by the IUGS Commission on Stratigraphy (ICS).
- QAPF diagram
- International Stratigraphic Guide: A guide developed by the IUGS-ICS Subcommission on Stratigraphic Classification to promote international agreement on principles of stratigraphic classification and to develop an internationally acceptable stratigraphic terminology and rules of stratigraphic procedure.
- International Union of Geological Sciences, International Union of Geological Sciences, retrieved 6 June 2012
- A Brief history of the IUGS, International Union of Geological Sciences, retrieved 6 June 2012
Episodes, International Union of Geological Sciences http://www.episodes.co.in//, retrieved 5 June 2012 Missing or empty
- The International Geological Congress(A Brief History) (PDF), retrieved 6 June 2012
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2013-04-23. Retrieved 2013-05-12.
- Special Issue on the IUGS Awards, IUGS Science Excellence Awards for 2016.