IWRG Intercontinental Super Welterweight Championship
|IWRG Intercontinental Super Welterweight Championship|
Místico, the only Super Welterweight Champion ever
|Promotion||International Wrestling Revolution Group|
|Date established||November 19, 2006|
The IWRG Intercontinental Super Welterweight Championship (Campeonato Intercontinental de Peso Super Welter IWRG in Spanish) is an inactive professional wrestling championship promoted by the Mexican professional wrestling promotion International Wrestling Revolution Group (IWRG). The official definition of the super welterweight weight class in Mexico is between 82 kg (181 lb) and 87 kg (192 lb), but is not always strictly enforced.[Note 1] Being a professional wrestling championship, it is not won legitimately; it is instead won via a scripted ending to a match or awarded to a wrestler because of a storyline.
The first and so far only champion is Místico, who was under contract with Consejo Mundial de Lucha Libre (CMLL) at the time, but worked for IWRG under a talent sharing agreement between the two companies. The talent sharing agreement ended in 2008, but the Super Welterweight Championship has not officially been declared vacant even. It is considered inactive as the IWRG simply does not promote it or refer to it any more.
|#||The overall championship reign|
|Reign||The reign number for the specific set of wrestlers listed.|
|Event||The event promoted by the respective promotion in which the title changed hands|
|1||Místico||1||November 19, 2006||[Note 2]||Naucalpan, Mexico||IWRG live event||Defeated Black Warrior in the finals of an 8-man championship tournament to become the first champion.|||
|–||Abandoned||N/A||2007||N/A||N/A||N/A||IWRG and CMLL stopped working together. Never officially announced as abandoned, just not mentioned.|||
- One example the weightlimits not being strictly enforced is Mephisto winning the CMLL World Welterweight Championship, a championship with a 78 kg (172 lb) upper limit despite weighing 90 kg (200 lb).
- It is not clear exactly when in 2007 IWRG and CMLL stopped working together, making the length of Místico's reign too uncertain to calculate.
- Arturo Montiel Rojas (2001-08-30). "Reglamento de Box y Lucha Libre Professional del Estado de Mexico" (PDF) (in Spanish). Comisión de Box y Lucha Libre Mexico D.F. Archived from the original (PDF) on November 30, 2006. Retrieved August 18, 2009.
Articulo 242: Super Welter 82 kilos / Medio 87 kilos"
- SuperLuchas staff (December 23, 2006). "Lo Mejor de la Lucha Libre Mexicana duranted el 2006". SuperLuchas (in Spanish). issue 192. Retrieved July 11, 2009.
- "2007 Lo Mejor de la Lucha Mexicana". SuperLuchas (in Spanish). December 26, 2007. issue 244. Retrieved July 11, 2009.