I Am What I Am (Broadway musical song)
"I Am What I Am" is a song originally introduced in the Tony Award-winning Broadway musical La Cage aux Folles (1983–1987). The song is the finale number of the musical's first act, and performed by the character of Albin Mougeotte, first played by George Hearn. The song was composed in 1983 by Jerry Herman, an openly gay man.
Gloria Gaynor version
|"I Am What I Am"|
|Single by Gloria Gaynor|
|from the album I Am Gloria Gaynor|
The song was later released as a single by Gloria Gaynor in 1983 and went on to become one of the singer's best known songs. A club hit in America, Gaynor's version of "I Am What I Am" was a hit throughout Europe and eventually became a gay anthem.
- 7" Single
- A. "I Am What I Am" - 3:51
- B. "More Than Enough" - 4:46
|U.S. Dance Music/Club Play Singles||3|
|U.S. R&B Singles||82|
|UK Singles Chart||13|
The song has been also covered by Marti Webb, Joannie Taylor, Carol Jiani, George Hearn, Hannah Jones, Soraya Arnelas, Ken Page, Linda Eder, Amateur Transplants, Karen Mulder, Andrew Rannells, and John Barrowman.
Páll Oskar has recorded an Icelandic version of the song called "Ég er Eins og ég Er".
In the Philippines, the song was included and was sung by Maricel Soriano in the movie "Inday Bote". It became the title of her weekly musical variety show. She would sing a portion of the song as her finale.
- Summers, Claude J. (2004). The Queer Encyclopedia of Music, Dance, & Musical Theater. Cleis Press. p. 121. ISBN 978-1-57344-198-8.
- "Gloria Gaynor - I Am What I Am (Vinyl) at Discogs". www.discogs.com. Retrieved 2011-05-11.
- "Gloria Gaynor AllMusic". www.allmusic.com. Retrieved 2011-05-11.
- "Chart Stats - Gloria Gaynor - I Am What I Am". www.chartstats.com. Archived from the original on 2012-07-28. Retrieved 2011-05-11.
- "Amanda Lear - I Am What I Am (TV Final Mix) (File, MP3)". Discogs. 5 May 2010. Retrieved October 6, 2012.