I Can't Breathe: A Killing on Bay Street
|Audio read by||Dominic Hoffman|
|Subject||Death of Eric Garner|
|Publisher||Spiegel & Grau|
|October 24, 2017|
|LC Class||HV8148.N52 T35 2017|
The book describes law enforcement procedures, systemic issues, and the individual life of Garner, as well as his death, and the influence on Black Lives Matter. According to Taibbi, the death itself "and the great distances that were traveled to protect his killer, now stand as testaments to America's pathological desire to avoid equal treatment under the law for its black population." Taibbi wrote that the death "had to be told without my voice, without linguistic cartwheels or jokes or any of the other circus tricks I learned to use."
Jamil Smith of The New York Times praised the coverage of systemic racism and the detail of the human players, and described the book as having "deep reporting"; he concluded the book is "an able introduction".
Rayyan Al-Shawaf wrote in Christian Science Monitor that the book is "clear-eyed, hard-hitting" and that it "remains a shattering account of a little big man against whom cops used lethal force for no good reason." Al-Shawaf praised the book's linkage to the issues regarding treatment of released prisoners, and he criticized the book's linkage to other racial abuse and police brutality issues but that the issue should not "discredit" the entire work.
- "I Can't Breathe by Matt Taibbi". Penguin Random House Audio. Retrieved October 4, 2019.
- Gross, Terry (2017-10-23). "'I Can't Breathe' Examines Modern Policing And The Life And Death Of Eric Garner". National Public Radio. Retrieved 2019-07-31.
- Smith, Ryan (2017-10-24). "Matt Taibbi: The case of Eric Garner proves that broken windows policing is broken". Chicago Reader. Retrieved 2019-07-31.
- Smith, Jamil (2017-11-17). "'I Can't Breathe': Eric Garner's Life and Death". The New York Times. Retrieved 2019-07-31.
- Butler, Paul (2017-10-19). "If you're a black man, expect police brutality under U.S. law and policy". Washington Post. Retrieved 2019-07-31.
- Al-Shawaf, Rayyan (2017-12-04). "'I Can't Breathe' is clear-eyed, hard-hitting account of Eric Garner's death". Christian Science Monitor. Retrieved 2019-07-31.
- I Can't Breathe: A Killing on Bay Street - Penguin Random House
- Excerpt published in Rolling Stone
- "I Can't Breathe: MattTaibbi". KBOO. 2017-11-02.