I Can't Wait (Nu Shooz song)
|"I Can't Wait"|
|Single by Nu Shooz|
|from the album Poolside
(original version on Tha's Right)
|Format||CD single, 7", 12"|
|Nu Shooz singles chronology|
"I Can't Wait" is a song recorded by American group Nu Shooz from the 1986 album Poolside. The song was originally recorded in late 1984, was featured on the band's second album Tha's Right the following year. Credits on the back of the single indicate that the Poolside LP was originally to be called "The Point of No Return." The song was remixed overseas. This remixed version is the one that appears on Poolside.
In the United States, the song reached No. 1 on Billboard's Hot Dance Club Play chart in late March 1986, remaining atop the chart for two weeks. Soon afterwards, the song appeared on the Hot 100 chart, where it climbed to No. 3 in mid-June of that year, and remained in the top 40 for 15 weeks. In the United Kingdom, the song reached No. 2 on the UK Singles Chart. The single returned to the U.S. charts in 2015, where it peaked at number 17 on the Billboard Dance/Electronic Digital Songs chart.
John Leland's writeup in a Spin magazine column wrote about the single, saying: "You can listen to this record as many times as you want and still not have any strong impressions that human beings actually made it. In other words, it's the perfect disco record."
The music video was directed by Jim Blashfield. It contains animations and has a hint of the very surreal. The plot has Valerie Day singing the song sitting at a desk, repairing a coffeepot, while tools and other oddities pass into the frame and out again. Her dog sits nearby, wearing sunglasses.
|US Billboard Hot 100||3|
|US Billboard Hot Black Singles||2|
|US Billboard Hot Dance Club Play||1|
|Australian Singles Chart||11|
|Austrian Singles Chart||16|
|Canadian RPM Top Singles||1|
|Dutch Singles Chart||9|
|French Singles Chart||24|
|German Singles Chart||2|
|Irish Singles Chart||10|
|Italian Singles Chart||9|
|Swiss Singles Chart||4|
|UK Singles Chart||2|
|US Billboard Hot 100||26|
In other media
|This section does not cite any sources. (February 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
- The intro can be heard in the 2007 UK film Son of Rambow.
- Portions of the intro can be heard in a Powerade Zero television commercial that aired in 2010.
- Briefly heard in the 2010 comedy, Hot Tub Time Machine, when Nick runs out realizing the group is in the 1980s.
- Used in the 2010 film The Switch, and was included on the film's soundtrack.
- Included on the Grand Theft Auto IV soundtrack.
- Used in Season 1, Episode 3 of The Cleveland Show, "The One About Friends" when Cleveland goes shoe-shopping.
- Heard on one of the promos used for The Big Bang Theory reruns on TBS during the fall of 2011.
- A cover of the song, sung by Icona Pop, produced by QuestLove was used in a 2015 series of Target commercials.
- Portions of the song are heard in Scream Queens opening of the episode Seven Minutes of Hell.
Cover versions and samples
"I Can't Wait'" was covered in 2002 by the British female R&B group Ladies First. It was a UK Top 20 hit, reaching number 19.
The song was mashed up with Snoop Dogg's "Drop It Like It's Hot" by dj BC in a song called "Snoop's Nu Shooz". It also was mashed up with 50 Cent and Mobb Deep's "Have a Party" on the Statik Selektah mixtape of 2008 called The Empire Strikes Back; the track is titled "I Can't Wait (Have a Party Showoff Rmx)" (feat. 50 Cent & Mobb Deep).
The song was covered by Gavin Castleton for PDX Pop Now Compilation "Let It Rain."
- Nu Shooz- Tha's Right @ the band's website Retrieved 12-3-2011.
- "Nu Shooz ‘Can’t Wait’ for Super Freestyle Explosion in Ontario". dailybulletin.com. Retrieved 18 April 2015.
- Dance/Electronic Digital Songs (October 24, 2015) from Billboard (October 14, 2015)
- John Leland (May 1986). Singles - Nu Shooz "I Can't Wait". Spin.
- "Music: Top 100 Songs - Billboard Hot 100 Chart". Billboard. Retrieved 18 April 2015.
- "Top Hip-Hop Songs / R&B Songs Chart - Billboard". Billboard. Retrieved 18 April 2015.
- "Dance Songs: Top Dance Music Chart - Billboard". Billboard. Retrieved 18 April 2015.
- German Singles Chart at charts-surfer.de
- "The Irish Charts - All there is to know". irishcharts.ie. Retrieved 18 April 2015.
- "ChartArchive - Nu Shooz". archive.is. Retrieved 18 April 2015.
- Billboard Top 100 - 1986. "Billboard Top 100 - 1986 - Longbored Surfer - Charts". Longbored Surfer. Retrieved 2012-01-06.
- "Tatiana Silva - I Can't Wait". YouTube. Retrieved 2012-02-23.
"I'm Not Gonna Let You" by Colonel Abrams
|Billboard Hot Dance Club Play number-one single
March 29, 1986 - April 5, 1986
"Kiss" by Prince and The Revolution
"There'll Be Sad Songs (To Make You Cry)" by Billy Ocean
|Canadian RPM number-one single
July 12, 1986
"Who's Johnny" by El Debarge