I Can't Let Go
|"I Can't Let Go"|
|Single by The Hollies|
|B-side||UK: "Running Through the Night" (Ransford)
US: "I've Got A Way Of My Own"
|Released||18 February 1966|
|Recorded||13 January 1966
Abbey Road Studios
|Label||UK: Parlophone R5409
US: Imperial 66158
|Songwriter(s)||Chip Taylor, Al Gorgoni|
|The Hollies singles chronology|
"I Can't Let Go" is a song co-written by Al Gorgoni and Chip Taylor, who also wrote "Wild Thing". "I Can't Let Go" was originally recorded by blue-eyed soul singer Evie Sands' on George Goldner's Blue Cat label, which was popular in New York City in 1965. The song became popular in 1966 for the group The Hollies, who charted at number two in the UK Singles Chart with their version. Linda Ronstadt covered the song in 1980 and had a number 31 hit on the US Billboard Hot 100 chart.
The Hollies version
"I Can't Let Go" is The Hollies' first 1966 single, and their last with original bassist Eric Haydock. It peaked at number two in the UK and number 42 on the Billboard Hot 100 in the US. It is ranked as the 37th biggest British hit of 1966. The Hollies' version was praised by Paul McCartney, who thought Graham Nash's soaring tenor in the chorus was a trumpet. After "I Can't Let Go" was recorded Haydock was replaced by Bernie Calvert, who played on the band's next single ("Bus Stop").
|Germany (Official German Charts)||30|
|Netherlands (Single Top 100)||20|
|New Zealand (Listener)||9|
|United Kingdom (Record Retailer)||2|
|United Kingdom (NME)||1|
|United States (Billboard Hot 100)||44|
Linda Ronstadt version
|"I Can't Let Go"|
|Single by Linda Ronstadt|
|from the album Mad Love|
|B-side||"Look Out For My Love"|
|Released||June 10, 1980|
|Genre||Rock, new wave|
|Songwriter(s)||Chip Taylor; Al Gorgoni|
|Linda Ronstadt singles chronology|
Linda Ronstadt released the most successful American version in 1980 from her platinum-certified album, Mad Love. Released as the disc's third single, it was produced by Peter Asher and was issued on Asylum Records. Ronstadt's cover of "I Can't Let Go" reached number 27 on the Cash Box Top 100 and number 31 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart in the summer of 1980.
|U.S. Billboard Hot 100 ||31|
|U.S. Billboard Hot Adult Contemporary Tracks||48|
|U.S. Cashbox Top 100||27|
- Les Fradkin covered the song on his 2006 album, Goin' Back.
- "Top 100 1966 - UK Music Charts". Uk-charts.top-source.info. Retrieved 2016-09-29.
- The 30th Anniversary Collection (CD). The Hollies. EMI Records. 1993. D 202205.
- "Musicline.de – Hollies, The Single-Chartverfolgung" (in German). Media Control Charts. PhonoNet GmbH.
- "Dutchcharts.nl – The Hollies – I Can't Let Go" (in Dutch). Single Top 100.
- "The Irish Charts – Search Results – I Can't Let Go". Irish Singles Chart. Retrieved July 11, 2017.
- Flavour of New Zealand, 20 May 1966
- "Norwegiancharts.com – The Hollies – I Can't Let Go". VG-lista.
- "Artist Chart History Details: Hollies". The Official Charts Company. Retrieved 8 August 2010.
- Rees, Dafydd; Lazell, Barry; Osborne, Roger (1995). Forty Years of "NME" Charts (2nd ed.). Pan Macmillan. p. 165. ISBN 0-7522-0829-2.
- "allmusic ((( The Hollies > Charts & Awards > Billboard Singles )))". Allmusic. Retrieved 4 August 2010.
- "Item Display - RPM - Library and Archives Canada". Collectionscanada.gc.ca. Retrieved 2016-09-29.
- "Lyrics: She Did It by Eric Carmen". Top40db.net. 1977-08-27. Retrieved 2016-09-29.
|This 1960s single-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|