I Could Have Danced All Night
|"I Could Have Danced All Night"|
Julie Andrews (Eliza), Rex Harrison (Higgins) in My Fair Lady
|From the musical My Fair Lady performed by Julie Andrews (Broadway) Audrey Hepburn (film- dubbed by:) Marni Nixon|
|Lyricist(s)||Alan Jay Lerner|
"I Could Have Danced All Night" is a song from the musical My Fair Lady, with music written by Frederick Loewe and lyrics by Alan Jay Lerner, published in 1956. The song is sung by the musical's heroine, Eliza Doolittle, expressing her exhilaration and excitement after an impromptu dance with her tutor Henry Higgins - in the small hours of the morning. In a counterpoint during the second of 3 rounds, two maids and the housekeeper, Mrs. Pearce, urge Eliza to go to bed, but she ignores them.
It was first performed by Julie Andrews in the original Broadway production of My Fair Lady. In the 1964 film adaptation of the musical, the song was sung by Marni Nixon, dubbing the singing voice of Audrey Hepburn, who played Eliza Doolittle. In 2004, Nixon's version finished at #17 on AFI's 100 Years...100 Songs survey of top tunes in American cinema.
Hit versions of the song were recorded by Sylvia Syms, Dinah Shore, Angélica María, Ben E. King as an ATCO single, Frank Sinatra, Rosemary Clooney, and Jamie Cullum. It was featured in The Birdcage sung by Nathan Lane, Hank Azaria, Gene Hackman, Robin Williams and Dianne Wiest. Many actresses have also sung the song in the stage version of the musical including Martine McCutcheon, Laura Michelle Kelly, Amy Nuttall and Lisa O'Hare.
Andy Williams covered the song on his 1964 album The Great Songs from My Fair Lady and Other Broadway Hits. Petula Clark recorded a version for her 1968 album The Other Man's Grass Is Always Greener.
Noted Wagnerian soprano Birgit Nilsson recorded the song for the 1960 gala performance recording of Johann Strauss's operetta Die Fledermaus on the Decca/London label. Herbert von Karajan conducted the recording of the operetta, but the conductor of this excerpt, as well as that of most of the other gala excerpts included, is not identified.
- "'My Fair Lady' Listing InternetBroadwayDatabase, accessed August 23, 2011
- "'My Fair Lady' (1964) - Soundtracks" Internet Movie Database, accessed August 23, 2011
- The Birdcage (1996) - Soundtracks on Internet Movie Database
- "'Call Me Irresposible/My Fair Lady' Review and Tracks" AllMusic.com, accessed August 23, 2011
- "'The Other Man's Grass Is Always Greeener' Review and Tracks" AllMusic.com, accessed August 23, 2011
- "'Sunday Showcase' Give My Regards to Broadway (1959) - Soundtracks" Internet Movie Database, accessed August 23, 2011
- "'Glee'" Mash-Up (2009) - Soundtracks" Internet Movie Database, accessed August 23, 2011
- James Tapper (2009-04-26). "How Britain's Got Talent's little star almost lost a lung | Mail Online". Dailymail.co.uk. Retrieved 2011-08-23.
- "Hollie Steel Online Store". Townsend-records.co.uk. 2010-05-24. Retrieved 2011-08-23.