|Single by Metallica|
|from the album Mission: Impossible 2 (soundtrack)|
|Released||May 9, 2000|
|Metallica singles chronology|
"I Disappear" is a song by American heavy metal band Metallica. The song was recorded as a contribution to the Mission: Impossible 2 soundtrack and reached number 1 on the Billboard Hot Mainstream Rock Tracks for seven (non-consecutive) weeks in summer 2000. It does not appear on any of Metallica's studio albums, making it the band's only standalone single. The song, which won a 2000 Metal Edge Readers' Choice Award for "Song of the Year From a Movie Soundtrack," is the last Metallica studio recording to feature bassist Jason Newsted.
The discovery of an unfinished version of the song in early 2000 on the peer-to-peer file sharing network Napster helped bring the illegal sharing of mp3 files to the spotlight, leading to the lawsuits that eventually brought down the original incarnation of Napster.
Two versions of the single were released, one with the song only, and a second featuring a second, instrumental version of the song. They bear different catalog numbers.
|2.||"I Disappear" (Instrumental)||4:26|
- The single incorrectly lists the track lengths as 4:26 and 4:32, respectively.
The music video to the song, directed by Wayne Isham, features the members from Metallica in scenes that reference other movies. Kirk Hammett is in a desert being chased by a plane in a reference to North by Northwest. Jason Newsted is in a mansion struggling against hundreds of people that walk by him, similar to a scene in Brazil. James Hetfield is driving a car down a San Francisco hill, in a chase sequence resembling Bullitt. Lars Ulrich jumps off of an exploding building, similar to the film Die Hard. In between these scenes, the band plays together at the top of a tall rock in Monument Valley, Utah. In between these scenes, scenes featuring Tom Cruise climbing on the rock, taken from the film Mission: Impossible 2 are intercut. At the end of the video, Cruise reaches the top only for the band to have vanished. The car driven by Hetfield in the video is a 1967 Chevrolet Camaro; upon the video's completion, the Camaro was gifted to Hetfield. On September 22, 2003, Hetfield listed the Camaro on the auction website eBay, which later sold for more than $70,000 to charity.
It was the last video by the band to feature Newsted.
- James Hetfield – vocals, rhythm guitar
- Kirk Hammett – lead guitar
- Jason Newsted – bass guitar
- Lars Ulrich – drums
- Produced by Bob Rock with James Hetfield and Lars Ulrich
- Mixed by Bob Rock
- Engineered by Bob Rock and Brian Dobbs
|Austria (Ö3 Austria Top 40)||25|
|Belgium (Ultratip Flanders)||12|
|Belgium (Ultratip Wallonia)||15|
|Canada Rock/Alternative (RPM)||11|
|Finland (Suomen virallinen lista)||2|
|Germany (Official German Charts)||14|
|Netherlands (Dutch Top 40)||36|
|Switzerland (Schweizer Hitparade)||20|
|UK Singles (The Official Charts Company)||35|
|U.S. Billboard Hot 100||76|
|U.S. Billboard Modern Rock Tracks||11|
|U.S. Billboard Mainstream Rock Tracks||1|
*sales figures based on certification alone
- Metal Edge, June 2001
- [dead link]
- [dead link]
- "News - James Hetfield Auctions Car on". Knac.Com. 2003-09-26. Retrieved 2018-11-14.
- "Austriancharts.at – Metallica – I Disappear" (in German). Ö3 Austria Top 40.
- "Ultratop.be – Metallica – I Disappear" (in Dutch). Ultratip.
- "Ultratop.be – Metallica – I Disappear" (in French). Ultratip.
- "Brazil" (PDF). ABPD. October 6, 2001. Retrieved April 1, 2014.
- Canadian Rock peak
- "Metallica: I Disappear" (in Finnish). Musiikkituottajat – IFPI Finland.
- "Lescharts.com – Metallica – I Disappear" (in French). Les classement single.
- "Musicline.de – Metallica Single-Chartverfolgung" (in German). Media Control Charts. PhonoNet GmbH.
- "Italiancharts.com – Metallica – I Disappear". Top Digital Download.
- "Nederlandse Top 40 – Metallica" (in Dutch). Dutch Top 40.
- "Norwegiancharts.com – Metallica – I Disappear". VG-lista.
- "Spanishcharts.com – Metallica – I Disappear" Canciones Top 50.
- "Swedishcharts.com – Metallica – I Disappear". Singles Top 100.
- "Swisscharts.com – Metallica – I Disappear". Swiss Singles Chart.
- "Metallica" (in Finnish). Musiikkituottajat – IFPI Finland.