I Don't Give a Damn
|I Don't Give a Damn|
|Directed by||Shmuel Imberman|
|Written by||Dahn Ben Amotz|
I Don't Give a Damn (Hebrew: לא שם זין, translit. Lo Sam Zayin) is a 1987 Israeli drama film directed by Shmuel Imberman, and starring Ika Zohar, Anat Waxman, and Shmuel Vilozni. It is based on a novel by Dahn Ben Amotz, and was adapted for the screen by Hanan Peled.
The film, about a war veteran who becomes wheelchair-ridden after being shot in the stomach, is described by author Gönül Dönmez-Colin as an "excellent example of Israeli war cinema where young men are instructed to commit their body to injury and death and in fact abandon it in the name of the belief in the, as it were, sacred idea of the nation-state".
- Ika Zohar as Raffi
- Anat Waxman as Nira
- Shmuel Vilozni as Eli
- Shlomo Tarshish as Amnon
- Liora Grossman as Maya
- Dror Amit
- Miri Ben Barouch
- Udi Ben-Moshe
- Dudu Ben-Zeev
- Yosef El-Dor
- Yehudit Geva
- Israel Gruber
- Miki Kazula
- Gita Lavi
- Moshe Matalon
Walter Goodman of The New York Times described I Don't Give a Damn as a "soapy Israeli movie composed of the residue of better movies past", and wrote that the director "spreads the schmaltz like a cholesterol salesman. The actors do not have a chance. When all those people start telling Rafi that he is closing himself off from possible aid and solace, it's like being at a convention of therapists. The scenes of him crashing around in his wheelchair will remind you of Coming Home, but then, everything here will remind you of something you'd rather be seeing or would rather not have to see again."
The film was awarded Best Film Editing by the Israel Film Center for 1986-7. It was submitted by Israel for the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film at the 60th Academy Awards, but was not selected.
- List of submissions to the 60th Academy Awards for Best Foreign Language Film
- List of Israeli submissions for the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film
- Leaman, Oliver (16 December 2003). Companion Encyclopedia of Middle Eastern and North African Film. Routledge. p. 461. ISBN 978-1-134-66251-7.
- Goble, Alan (1 January 1999). The Complete Index to Literary Sources in Film. Walter de Gruyter. p. 34. ISBN 978-3-11-095194-3.
- Gavriely-Nuri, Dalia (27 February 2014). Israeli Culture on the Road to the Yom Kippur War. Lexington Books. p. 29. ISBN 978-0-7391-8595-7.
- Kronish, Amy; Safirman, Costel (2003). Israeli Film: A Reference Guide. Greenwood Publishing Group. p. 55. ISBN 978-0-313-32144-3.
- Dönmez-Colin, Gönül (2007). The Cinema of North Africa and the Middle East. Wallflower Press. p. 91. ISBN 978-1-905674-10-7.
- "I Don't Give a Damn". The New York Times. 20 May 1988. Retrieved 20 June 2015.
- Margaret Herrick Library, Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences