I Don't Want to Be
This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|"I Don't Want to Be"|
|Single by Gavin DeGraw|
|from the album Chariot|
|Released||September 1, 2004|
|Gavin DeGraw singles chronology|
"I Don't Want to Be" is a song by Gavin DeGraw appearing on his 2003 debut album, Chariot. It was released as a single in Australia in 2003, and in the UK in 2004. The single became DeGraw's biggest hit to date, mainly due to the premiere of One Tree Hill, of which the song is the opening theme; peaking at number ten in the U.S. in early-2005.
The song was certified 2x Platinum, having sold over 2,000,000 paid downloads. It is also DeGraw's only single to break the UK Top 40. On May 27, 2012 the song re-entered UK charts reaching number 27, due to the finale of One Tree Hill's 9th and final season airing, which featured DeGraw.
- "I Don't Want to Be" (Album Version)
- "I Don't Want to Be" (Stripped Version)
- "Just Friends" (Album Version)
- "I Don't Want to Be" (Video)
Charts and certifications
|Australian Singles Chart||19|
|Austrian Singles Chart||44|
|Dutch Singles Chart||21|
|German Singles Chart||99|
|Irish Singles Chart||25|
|New Zealand Singles Chart||30|
|Norwegian Singles Chart||6|
|Swedish Singles Chart||15|
|Swiss Singles Chart||46|
|UK Singles Chart||27|
|US Billboard Hot 100||10|
|US Billboard Pop Songs||1|
|US Billboard Adult Pop Songs||9|
|United Kingdom (BPI)||Silver|
|United States (RIAA)||Gold|
Use in media
- The song appears in the game, Karaoke Revolution Party, and is available as part of the downloadable content in the game Karaoke Revolution: American Idol Encore.
- The song is the opening theme to One Tree Hill. DeGraw performs the song on a Season 1 episode of One Tree Hill. He returned for the season 5 premiere to perform the song with Jackson Brundage. In the 8th season of the aforementioned TV series, several artists covered it for the season's theme music, including Spinnerette, Against Me!, Kate Voegele, Susie Suh and Patrick Stump. DeGraw also performed the song for the series finale to celebrate their 10th anniversary of Tric.
- "Top 100 Music Hits, Top 100 Music Charts, Top 100 Songs & The Hot 100" (in Dutch). Billboard.com. Retrieved 2012-06-21.
- "British single certifications – Gavin DeGraw – I Don't Want to Be". British Phonographic Industry. Select singles in the Format field. Select Silver in the Certification field. Enter I Don't Want to Be in the search field and then press Enter.
- "American single certifications – Gavin DeGraw – I Don't Want to Be". Recording Industry Association of America. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Single, then click SEARCH