I Feel You
|"I Feel You"|
|Single by Depeche Mode|
|from the album Songs of Faith and Devotion|
|Released||15 February 1993|
|Recorded||1992 Madrid, Hamburg, London|
|Length||4:35 (Album Version)
4:27 (Intro Edit)
|Depeche Mode singles chronology|
"I Feel You" is a song by Depeche Mode, released on 15 February 1993 as their 27th UK single and the first single from the album Songs of Faith and Devotion. The song peaked at number eight on the UK Singles Chart and also made number one and number three on the US Modern Rock Tracks and Hot Dance Club Play charts, respectively. It was the band's highest-charting single worldwide. The song is ostensibly about "connection" between two individuals.
"I Feel You" demonstrates a more rock-oriented sound, using more non-electronic instruments than ever before. For example, Alan Wilder plays drums, and Martin Gore plays the guitar, but with electronic sounds still included, like the synth screeching intro. "I Feel You" has a compound time signature of 6/8. The 7" version of "I Feel You" is the same as the album version. The "Throb Mix" is a 12" version, but with incomplete lyrics. A part of the "Swamp Mix" is used as an interlude on the Songs of Faith and Devotion album between "Get Right With Me" and "Rush"; this was also used in the intro for the live arrangements of "I Feel You" that were played during their Devotional/Summer tours.
On the cover of "I Feel You", there are four symbols, each representing a member. To tell which member it is, there's a number on the right-corner of each symbol, which is that band member's birthdate, or you can match the symbols up with the symbols on the Songs of Faith and Devotion cover, which overlap a picture of that band member. Using the latter, the top left corner is Alan Wilder, the top right corner is Dave Gahan, the bottom left corner is Martin Gore, and the bottom right corner is Andy Fletcher.
The B-side is "One Caress", which is a Martin vocal track from Songs of Faith and Devotion. In the USA, Sire / Reprise released "One Caress" as a promo-only single. One promo copy has the original version, and the other has the version from Songs of Faith and Devotion Live. There is no remix for the song.
The music video for "I Feel You" was directed by Anton Corbijn. The woman in the video was English actress Lysette Anthony. There is also a music video for "One Caress", directed by Kevin Kerslake, that was filmed during one of the off-days of the Devotional Tour in the US. It was a promo-only video that was later released on The Videos 86>98. Prior to its inclusion on The Videos 86>98, the music video for "One Caress" was frequently broadcast on MTV's Alternative Rock video block 120 Minutes and Sky-1.
The song was also used in a scene in Fatih Akin's Turkish-German film Gegen die Wand.
In the US, Sire/Reprise released a special "Intro Edit" of "I Feel You" exclusively to this promo disc. The difference is that the screeching noise at the beginning, which annoyed some radio stations, was removed.
|"I Feel You"|
|Promotional single by Placebo|
- Spanish band OBK did a cover using "I Feel You" lyrics and "Personal Jesus" music.
- Placebo covered the song in 1999, and was released as a single-sided cassette only for members of their fan club Silver Rocket, and was sent out to people who re-subscribed after their 12-months of membership. It was later released on Sleeping with Ghosts for the 2 CD version, which included a covers album.
- Polish death metal band Vader covered the song on their album, Future of the Past, which contained an assortment of covers. The song title on this album was shortened into the acronym "I.F.Y." and the lyrics were heavily altered. The song also appears on some editions of Vader's 1995 album De Profundis.
- Swiss industrial metal band Samael covered the song on their On Earth EP.
- The Argentinian rock band Catupecu Machu recorded a cover for the hidden track on their album Cuentos Decapitados.
- Disciple covered the song as a new track for their special edition re-release Disciple.
- Apollo 440 also recorded a cover on the tribute album For the Masses.
- Former The Smiths songwriter and guitarist Johnny Marr released a cover of the song in support of Record Store Day 2015.
- List of number-one singles of 1993 (Finland)
- List of number-one singles of 1993 (Spain)
- Number one modern rock hits of 1993
- Shaw, William (April 1993). "In The Mode". Details. pp. 90–95, 168. Retrieved 17 June 2013.
- Maroto, Carlos. "Depeche Mode, la leyenda de Basildon, treinta años de reinado entre el rock y la electrónica (II)". Paniko Nuclear (in Spanish). Retrieved 11 January 2014.
- "Gold & Platinum – Depeche Mode – I Feel You". Recording Industry Association of America. Retrieved 11 January 2014.
- MTV Video Music Awards Pre Show (MTV/USA – 1993) at the Wayback Machine (archived 23 October 2009). Depechemode.com. 2 September 1993.
- "Australian-charts.com – Depeche Mode – I Feel You". ARIA Top 50 Singles. Retrieved 11 January 2014.
- "Austriancharts.at – Depeche Mode – I Feel You" (in German). Ö3 Austria Top 40. Retrieved 11 January 2014.
- "Ultratop.be – Depeche Mode – I Feel You" (in Dutch). Ultratop 50. Retrieved 11 January 2014.
- "Top RPM Singles: Issue 1780." RPM. Library and Archives Canada. Retrieved 11 January 2014.
- Nyman, Jake (2005). Suomi soi 4: Suuri suomalainen listakirja (in Finnish) (1st ed.). Helsinki: Tammi. ISBN 951-31-2503-3.
- "Lescharts.com – Depeche Mode – I Feel You" (in French). Les classement single. Retrieved 11 January 2014.
- "Offiziellecharts.de – Depeche Mode – I Feel You". GfK Entertainment Charts. Retrieved 11 January 2014.
- "The Irish Charts – Search Results – I Feel You". Irish Singles Chart. Retrieved 11 January 2014.
- "I singoli più venduti del 1993" (in Italian). Hit Parade Italia. Creative Commons. Retrieved 11 January 2014.
- "Nederlandse Top 40 – Depeche Mode - I Feel You search results" (in Dutch) Dutch Top 40. Retrieved 11 January 2014.
- "Dutchcharts.nl – Depeche Mode – I Feel You" (in Dutch). Single Top 100. Retrieved 11 January 2014.
- "Charts.org.nz – Depeche Mode – I Feel You". Top 40 Singles. Retrieved 11 January 2014.
- Salaverri, Fernando (September 2005). Sólo éxitos: año a año, 1959–2002 (in Spanish) (1st ed.). Spain: Fundación Autor-SGAE. ISBN 84-8048-639-2.
- "Swedishcharts.com – Depeche Mode – I Feel You". Singles Top 100. Retrieved 11 January 2014.
- "Swisscharts.com – Depeche Mode – I Feel You". Swiss Singles Chart. Retrieved 11 January 2014.
- "Archive Chart: 1993-02-27" UK Singles Chart. Retrieved 3 July 2013.
- "Depeche Mode – Awards". AllMusic. All Media Network. Retrieved 11 January 2014.
- CASH BOX Top 100 Singles – Week ending MARCH 27, 1993 at the Wayback Machine (archived 10 October 2012). Cash Box magazine.
- Britton, Luke Morgan (17 March 2015). "Johnny Marr shares video for Depeche Mode cover 'I Feel You'". NME. Retrieved 22 March 2014.
- Wax, Alyse (17 March 2015). "Five Things About AMERICAN HORROR STORY: HOTEL, Episode 506 — 'Room 33'". Blumhouse Productions. Retrieved 21 January 2016.