I Fight Dragons
|I Fight Dragons|
|Also known as||IFD|
|Origin||Chicago, Illinois, USA|
|Genres||Pop rock, chiptune, Pop Punk, Electronic rock, Synthpop|
|Labels||Photo Finish / Atlantic Records (2010–2012)|
Chad Van Dahm
|Past members||Laura Green
I Fight Dragons is a rock band from Chicago. Their music is a combination of pop/rock with chiptune, featuring electronic sounds made using Nintendo Game Boys and Nintendo Entertainment Systems. To date they have released two full-length albums: 2011's KABOOM! which came out on Photo Finish / Atlantic Records, and 2014's The Near Future" which they self-released after raising over $100,000 on Kickstarter through their "Project Atma" project. In addition, they have also released two EPs, 2009's Cool Is Just a Number and 2010's Welcome to the Breakdown. Their music has been featured on Nintendo Video as well as on the WWE, and they wrote and performed the theme song for ABC's The Goldbergs. They have toured the USA with mc chris and Whole Wheat Bread in 2009, 3OH!3, Cobra Starship, and Travie McCoy in 2010, The Protomen in 2011, and they were on the entire 2012 and 2014 Vans Warped Tours. They went on their first national headlining tour, "The War of Cyborg Liberation Tour" with openers MC Lars and Skyfox in 2012. From 2010 until 2012 they were signed to Photo Finish / Atlantic Records, but in fall 2012 they won their release from the label.
Cool Is Just a Number (2009–2010)
I Fight Dragons was formed in 2008, with five members all hailing from Chicago. Their first EP Cool Is Just a Number was self-released in 2009. In June, 2009, Mike Mentzer left the band to pursue his own solo career and was replaced by Packy Lundholm, who had played drums on the band's first EP, and has since played lead guitar in the band. On July 25, 2009, I Fight Dragons headlined the Metro in Chicago for the first time. This show was captured as a Live DVD, and a limited run of 500 numbered and signed copies of the DVD, entitled "Dragon Fight!", were released in January 2010. In August 2009, Dave Midell left the band to pursue humanitarian causes. Chad Van Dahm was brought in as the new drummer.
The band signed with manager J.J. Italiano and with booking agent Gabriel Apodaca of The Agency Group. in September 2009, signing their first major label contract. I Fight Dragons went on their first National Tour with punk group Whole Wheat Bread and nerdcore-hiphop artist MC Chris in October of that same year. They played 45 US shows from 1 October to 24 November.
Welcome to the Breakdown (2010)
I Fight Dragons signed with Photo Finish / Atlantic Records in early 2010, and went on to appear on the MTV "Too Fast For Love" tour, opening for 3OH!3, Cobra Starship, and Travie McCoy from April–June 2010. In his June, 2010, concert review, Rick Florino described the band as "one of the most unique, uplifting and unforgettable new acts on the scene." World Wrestling Entertainment announced that their song "Money" from their 2009 E.P. Cool Is Just a Number would be used as the theme song for the inaugural WWE Money In The Bank Pay Per View, which helped to boost the band's popularity.
On November 27, 2010, I Fight Dragons released their second EP, Welcome to the Breakdown. They indicated that this EP consisted of songs written for their Photo Finish / Atlantic Records debut album, but which ended up not having a place on the album and so were released as an EP instead.
Kickstarter album and The Near Future (2013–present)
On January 17, 2013 cRaZie$ was released as the third and final single from KABOOM!. The band was in the studio recording new music for an EP to be released in 2013. The band also released an Internet-only album composed of demos from 2010 and 2011 that were in various stages of development, but for various reasons never made it on KABOOM! titled DEMOlition: Songs That Didn't Make It On KABOOM!. On June 21, 2013 Move was released as a single from DEMOlition and the music video features the four heroines of Phantom Breaker: Battle Grounds. In April 2013, the band launched "Project Atma", a Kickstarter project to fund their new album, The Near Future. On June 13, 2014, the band announced that the release date for The Near Future would be September 16, 2014 and released the track "No Strings". On August 28, 2014, the band announced that, due to manufacturing issues of the albums, the release date would be pushed further back. The Near Future was released publicly on December 9, 2014, and hit #5 on the Billboard Vinyl Album Charts the week of its release. On December 20th, I Fight Dragons played an album release show for The Near Future to a capacity crowd at Chicago's Lincoln Hall. 
- Cool Is Just a Number (2009)
- Welcome to the Breakdown (2010)
- KABOOM! (2011)
- DEMOlition: Songs That Didn't Make It On KABOOM! (2013)
- The Near Future (2014)
In popular culture
- I Fight Dragons wrote the theme song, "Rewind", for the television show The Goldbergs.
- Their song "No Kontrol" was featured in commercials for season 14 of Big Brother.
- Their song "Money" was the official theme song for WWE's July 2010 Pay-Per-View WWE Money in the Bank.
- Their song "Heads Up, Hearts Down" was featured in the series finale of The Hills.
- Their song "Disaster Hearts" was featured in a long-form commercial for NCIS.
- "Chicago Tech Report". chicagotechreport.com.
- "DOWNLOAD: I Fight Dragons". Chicagoist.
- "Project Atma - I Fight Dragons Creates An Epic New Album". Kickstarter.
- "I Fight Dragons - Fellow Assailants of Angry Aeromorphs,... - Facebook". facebook.com.
- "I Fight Dragons". last.fm.
- "Steel Giant Management » Roster". Steelgiant.net. Retrieved 2010-12-04.
- "The Agency Group | Agent Overview". Theagencygroup.com. Retrieved 2010-12-04.
- Noelle Lynn Blood. "Geek Chic at the Waiting Room". Retrieved 2009-10-31.
- Cobra Starship and 3OH!3 team up for explosive "Too Fast For Love" Tour 
- "Live Review: Too Fast for Love Tour — 3OH!3, Cobra Starship, Travie & I Fight Dragons — Club Nokia, Los Angeles". ARTISTdirect.
- "Project Atma / The Near Future Manufacturing and Release Date Update". Youtube. Retrieved 29 August 2014.
- "The Near Future is the #5 Vinyl Album in the USA this week!!!". I Fight Dragons Blog of Destiny.
- "We Sold Out Last Night’s Show So We’re Playing Another Free Show Tonight!!!". I Fight Dragons Blog of Destiny.
- Michael Schneider (1 November 2013). "How The Goldbergs and Other New Shows Kept Their Theme Songs". TVGuide.com.
- YouTube. youtube.com.
- "The Hills Music - Season 6: "All Good Things..." - TuneFind". TuneFind.
- MWK. "NCIS". TV Fanatic.