I Go Back
|"I Go Back"|
|Single by Kenny Chesney|
|from the album When the Sun Goes Down|
|Released||May 3, 2004|
|Recorded||Nashville Recordings LLC,|
|Length||4:03 (album version)
3:35 (single version)
|Producer(s)||Buddy Cannon, Kenny Chesney|
|Kenny Chesney singles chronology|
"I Go Back" is a song written and recorded by American country music artist Kenny Chesney. It was released in May 2004 as the third single from his album When the Sun Goes Down. "I Go Back" spent a total of seven weeks at the number 2 position on the U.S. Billboard country charts in mid-2004.
The song is a mid-tempo in which the narrator recalls various moments in his life, and how he is reminded of each of them when every time he hears a certain song. He references many of these songs, including Jack & Diane, Only the Good Die Young, and Rock'n Me. In the chorus, the narrator reflects in his past explaining his time, such as spending time on a football line, "driving [his] first love out to the levy," and losing a good friend, Lance Wilson. The official music video ends with the note: "In memory of Lance Wilson and all the summers I shared with him". Lance Wilson died in a "car wreck" when he was 17.
The music video was directed by Shaun Silva and was released in June 2004.
"I Go Back" debuted at number 57 on the U.S. Billboard Hot Country Songs chart for the week of May 1, 2004, at the time his single, "When the Sun Goes Down", was still at Number One.
|US Hot Country Songs (Billboard)||2|
|US Billboard Hot 100||32|
|US Country Songs (Billboard)||14|
- Whitburn, Joel (2008). Hot Country Songs 1944 to 2008. Record Research, Inc. p. 91. ISBN 0-89820-177-2.
- Music video for "I Go Back" by Kenny Chesney
- "USATODAY.com - Chesney finds his way". usatoday30.usatoday.com. Retrieved 2016-12-03.
- "Kenny Chesney – Chart history" Billboard Hot Country Songs for Kenny Chesney.
- "Kenny Chesney – Chart history" Billboard Hot 100 for Kenny Chesney.
- "Best of 2004: Country Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 2004. Retrieved July 11, 2012.