I Just Fall in Love Again
This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|"I Just Fall in Love Again"|
|Song by The Carpenters|
|from the album Passage|
|A-side||"Honolulu City Lights"|
|Released||September 23, 1977|
|Composer(s)||Steve Dorff, Larry Herbstritt|
|Lyricist(s)||Gloria Sklerov, Harry Lloyd|
|Producer(s)||Richard Carpenter, Karen Carpenter|
"I Just Fall in Love Again" is a song written by Larry Herbstritt, with co-writers Steve Dorff, Harry Lloyd, and Gloria Sklerov. Herbstritt had composed the melody and chords for the chorus and a chord progression for the verse, which he took to his friend Steve Dorff. Harry Lloyd and Gloria Sklerov completed the lyrics. The song was originally recorded by the Carpenters and later covered by Dusty Springfield, whose version inspired Anne Murray to record her own cover.
The Carpenters' version
The Carpenters' version was included on the duo's 1977 album Passage. On the Carpenters' official web site, Richard Carpenter notes that he felt the song was perfect for his sister Karen's voice and felt their version had hit-single potential. However, A&M Records decided not to release it because it was considered too long for Top 40 radio stations to play at the time (just over 4 minutes) and could not be abridged.
- Karen Carpenter – lead vocals
- Richard Carpenter – keyboards
- Joe Osborn – bass guitar
- Tony Peluso – electric guitar
- Ron Tutt – drums
- Earle Dumler – oboe
- Gregg Smith Singers – backing vocals
Dusty Springfield's version
Recorded in summer 1978 and released in early 1979 on Springfield's Living Without Your Love album the same week her record label, United Artists Records, was sold, the track was subsequently never released as a single and went largely unnoticed by the listening public due to lack of promotion for the album.
Anne Murray's version
|"I Just Fall in Love Again"|
|Single by Anne Murray|
|from the album New Kind of Feeling|
|B-side||"Just to Feel This Love from You"|
|Producer(s)||Jim Ed Norman|
|Anne Murray singles chronology|
When Canadian Country singer Anne Murray heard "I Just Fall in Love Again" as recorded by Dusty Springfield, her favorite female singer, she was inspired to record her own version of the song, releasing it in early 1979, on her Platinum-selling album New Kind of Feeling.
Anne released her version as a single, and it topped Billboard magazine's Country, and Adult Contemporary charts for three weeks, while reaching number 11 on the Cash Box Top 100 and number 12 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart.
It was the first of three successive number one Country hits and four consecutive number one Adult Contemporary hits during 1979 and 1980. Though Murray loves the song, she is quoted in The Billboard Book of Number One Adult Contemporary Hits as saying she was surprised at its success on the Country charts, as she didn't feel the song sounded very "country." Nevertheless, Billboard ranked it as the number one Country hit of 1979. Anne included the song as a posthumous duet with Dusty Springfield on her own 2008 album Duets: Friends & Legends.
- Pat Riccio, Jr., Brian Gatto – keyboards
- Jorn Anderson – drums
- Peter Cardinali – bass
- Aidan Mason, Brian Russell, Bob Man – guitars
- Bob Lucier – steel guitar
- Rick Wilkins & Peter Cardinali – string arrangement
- Carpenters •• I Just Fall In Love Again
- Whitburn, Joel (2004). The Billboard Book Of Top 40 Country Hits: 1944-2006, Second edition. Record Research. p. 242.
- Whitburn, Joel (2002). Top Adult Contemporary: 1961-2001. Record Research. p. 176.
- "Anne Murray Chart History (Hot Country Songs)". Billboard.
- "Anne Murray Chart History (Adult Contemporary)". Billboard.
- "Anne Murray Chart History (Hot 100)". Billboard.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2016-03-04. Retrieved 2016-04-12.