I Knew I Loved You
|"I Knew I Loved You"|
|Single by Savage Garden|
|from the album Affirmation|
"Mine (And You Could Be)"|
|Released||28 September 1999|
|Savage Garden singles chronology|
"I Knew I Loved You" is a song by Australian pop duo Savage Garden, released as the second single from their second studio album, Affirmation. The song went straight to number one on the Billboard Hot 100, becoming the band's second number one in the United States after "Truly Madly Deeply".
After its third week at number one, the single was knocked off by Mariah Carey's "Thank God I Found You" featuring Joe and 98 Degrees. It later returned to the top again the following week, for its fourth and final week at the top.
It was the last song by an Australian artist to reach the top of the Billboard Hot 100 for over twelve years, until Gotye peaked at number one with his single "Somebody That I Used to Know" (featuring Kimbra) in 2012. The music video featured then teen actress Kirsten Dunst as Darren Hayes' love interest, and received a heavy rotation on MTV.
The music video was filmed by director Kevin Bray in August 1999 on a New York City Subway set that had previously been used on the sitcom Seinfeld. It features Hayes playing out a romantic plot on a subway train, with a female passenger (played by American actress Kirsten Dunst) as the object of his affections.
At one point, the train comes to a stop due to a power outage (at 2:24); red emergency lighting comes on and everyone in the carriage joins hands. Hayes, who is sitting opposite his aforementioned love interest, extends his hand to her.
As they touch, the video cuts to a montage of the couple walking through a park, bathed in sunlight, laughing and holding hands. The video then cuts back to the carriage as the power comes back on and the train pulls into the station. Hayes and the woman exit with the other passengers, and share a fleeting glance before going their separate ways. Shots of the band performing alone on the subway platform and in the carriage are interspersed throughout the video. The video was uploaded on YouTube on 25 October 2009. As of October 2017, the video has received over 74 million views.
The song was a huge success in the United States, on the Billboard Hot 100, where it spent four weeks at the top, and an eventual 124 weeks on the Hot Adult Contemporary Tracks chart, breaking the record for 123 weeks set by another of the duo's songs, "Truly Madly Deeply" (which, in terms of sales and later time spent on the Recurrents chart, is still the #1 AC song of all time). It ranked #21 in the All Time Adult Contemporary Chart. The song was also certified Platinum by the RIAA and became the highest-played song on US radio of 2000.
|Austria (Ö3 Austria Top 40)||36|
|Belgium (Ultratip Flanders)||9|
|Canada Top Singles (RPM)||1|
|Europe (Eurochart Hot 100)||18|
|Germany (Official German Charts)||34|
|Iceland (Íslenski Listinn Topp 40)||15|
|Netherlands (Single Top 100)||54|
|New Zealand (Recorded Music NZ)||3|
|Romania (Romanian Top 100)||1|
|Scotland (Official Charts Company)||22|
|Switzerland (Schweizer Hitparade)||34|
|UK Singles (The Official Charts Company)||10|
|US Billboard Hot 100||1|
|US Billboard Top 40 Mainstream||1|
|US Billboard Adult Contemporary||1|
|US Billboard Adult Top 40||3|
|Canada Top Singles (RPM)||56|
|New Zealand (Recorded Music NZ)||10|
|Romania (Romanian Top 100)||56|
|U.S. Billboard Hot 100||7|
|End-of-decade chart (2000-2009)||Position|
|U.S. Billboard Hot 100||54|
|U.S. Billboard Adult Contemporary||1|
|US Billboard Adult Contemporary ||21|
- Country singer Daryle Singletary covered the song for his 2000 album, Now and Again. His version reached #55 on the Billboard Hot Country Singles & Tracks chart in 2000.
- Cantopop singer Edison Chen covered the song for his 2002 album, Break Through.
- List of Romanian Top 100 number ones of the 2000s
- List of number-one singles of 2000 (Canada)
- List of Billboard Hot 100 number-one singles of 2000
- List of number-one adult contemporary singles of 1999 and 2000 (U.S.)
- List of Billboard Mainstream Top 40 number-one songs of 2000
- Savage Garden diary entry for 26 August 1999 Archived 19 September 2008 at the Wayback Machine.
- "CHART BEAT BONUS". Billboard.com. Retrieved 8 May 2012.
- "Australian-charts.com – Savage Garden – I Knew I Loved You". ARIA Top 50 Singles.
- "Austriancharts.at – Savage Garden – I Knew I Loved You" (in German). Ö3 Austria Top 40.
- "Ultratop.be – Savage Garden – I Knew I Loved You" (in Dutch). Ultratip.
- "Eurochart Hot 100 Singles" (PDF). Music & Media. Retrieved 26 June 2018.
- "Lescharts.com – Savage Garden – I Knew I Loved You" (in French). Les classement single.
- "Musicline.de – Savage Garden Single-Chartverfolgung" (in German). Media Control Charts. PhonoNet GmbH.
- "Íslenski Listinn Topp 40 (Vikuna 11.11. - 19.11. 1999 46. Vika)" (PDF) (in Icelandic). Dagblaðið Vísir. Retrieved 13 July 2018.
- "Hit Parade Italia - Indice per Interprete: S". hitparadeitalia.it.
- "Dutchcharts.nl – Savage Garden – I Knew I Loved You" (in Dutch). Single Top 100.
- "Charts.nz – Savage Garden – I Knew I Loved You". Top 40 Singles.
- "Norwegiancharts.com – Savage Garden – I Knew I Loved You". VG-lista.
- "Romanian Top 100: Top of the Year 2000" (in Romanian). Romanian Top 100. Archived from the original on 22 January 2005.
- "Official Scottish Singles Sales Chart Top 100". officialcharts.com. Retrieved 3 July 2018.
- "Swedishcharts.com – Savage Garden – I Knew I Loved You". Singles Top 100.
- "Swisscharts.com – Savage Garden – I Knew I Loved You". Swiss Singles Chart.
- "Savage Garden Chart History (Hot 100)". Billboard.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 12 March 2012. Retrieved 23 November 2012.
- "Top Singles - Volume 70, No. 8, December 13, 1999". RPM. 13 December 1999. Archived from the original on 10 March 2016. Retrieved 21 November 2017.
- "End of Year Charts 1999". Recorded Music NZ. Retrieved 4 December 2017.
- "Billboard's Top Adult Contemporary Songs of the 2000's". Retrieved 2010-08-31.
- "The Top 100 Adult Contemporary Songs Ever". Billboard. Retrieved 2013-10-17.