I Know You Got Soul (Eric B. & Rakim song)
|"I Know You Got Soul"|
|Single by Eric B. & Rakim|
|from the album Paid in Full|
|Label||4th & B'way|
|Writer(s)||Eric Barrier, Rakim Allah|
|Producer(s)||Eric Barrier, Rakim Allah|
|Eric B. & Rakim singles chronology|
"I Know You Got Soul" is a song recorded by Eric B. & Rakim in 1987. A commercial and artistic success, it was ranked by Rolling Stone #23 on their list of Top 50 hip-hop songs, and #396 on their list of 500 Greatest Songs of All Time.
Description and release
The song takes its name from a 1971 song of the same title recorded by Bobby Byrd, which it samples heavily, and is frequently credited with popularizing the use of James Brown samples in hip hop songs. It also samples the Ben Powers Jr. drum intro from the song "You'll Like It Too" by Original P, and released on LAX Records under the name Funkadelic.
It was released as the third single from their 1987 album Paid in Full. It peaked at number thirty-nine on the Hot Dance Music/Club Play chart, number thirty-four on the Hot Dance Music/Maxi-Singles Sales, and number sixty-four on the Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Singles & Tracks chart. The track's production contains "digitized cymbal crashes, breathing sounds, and a bumping bass line."
The British band M|A|R|R|S sampled the title lyric of their number one UK single "Pump Up the Volume" from the a cappella version of "I Know You Got Soul". The song was also sampled in the song "International Affair" by Sean Paul (Feat. Debbie Nova). Timbaland quotes the opening line "It's been a long time, I shouldn't have left you without a strong rhyme ["dope beat", in the Timbaland version] to step to," in the Aaliyah song "Try Again". Timbaland covers the whole first verse in his later song "Cop That Shit", with lyrical changes. Part of the first verse is also spoken by Mos Def on his song "Love" off of his debut album, Black on Both Sides.
|UK Singles Chart||76|
|U.S. Billboard Hot Dance Club Play||39|
|U.S. Billboard Hot Dance Music/Maxi-Singles Sales||34|
|U.S. Billboard Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs||64|
|UK Singles Chart||13|
- "Rolling Stone's The 50 Greatest Hip Hop Songs of All Time". Rolling Stone. December 5, 2012. Retrieved October 1, 2015.
- "Rolling Stone's 500 Greatest Songs of All Time". Rolling Stone. April 7, 2011. Retrieved October 1, 2015.
- allmusic Paid in Full - Overview. Allmusic. Accessed August 6, 2008.
- Perry, Imani (2004). Prophets of the Hood: Politics and Poetics in Hip Hop. p. 52. Duke University Press. ISBN 0-8223-3446-1
- Wojcik, Pamela Robertson; Knight, Arthur (2001). Soundtrack Available. p. 254. Duke University Press. ISBN 0-8223-2800-3.
- "The 50 Greatest Hip-Hop Songs of All Time: Eric B. and Rakim, 'I Know You Got Soul'". Rollingstone.com. December 5, 2012. Retrieved 2013-09-23.