I Like It Like That (Chris Kenner song)
|"I Like It Like That"|
|Single by The Dave Clark Five|
|from the album I Like It Like That|
|Released||1961 (Chris Kenner version)|
|Songwriter(s)||Chris Kenner, Allen Toussaint|
|The Dave Clark Five singles chronology|
"I Like It Like That" is a song by Chris Kenner and Allen Toussaint, first recorded by Kenner, whose version reached No. 2 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart in 1961. It was kept from the No.1 spot by, Tossin' and Turnin' by Bobby Lewis. This version also went to No. 2 on the R&B singles chart. The narrator of the song invites the listener to come with him to a happening spot named "I Like It Like That". The lyrics in Kenner's version are mostly spoken in the verses, as well as saying the line: "The name of the place is".
- The song was covered by the Dave Clark Five in 1965. all of the lyrics were sung in that version. Their version charted at No. 7 on the Billboard Hot 100.
- Michael Landon covered the song in the opening number of NBC's Hullabaloo (1965)
- The Nashville Teens recorded the song as a B-side to their hit single "Tobacco Road" (1964).
- The song was also covered by the Kingsmen on their 1965 album The Kingmen on Campus
- Brinsley Schwarz on their 1972 album Nervous on the Road
- Loggins and Messina on their 1975 album of cover songs, So Fine (US #84).
This song is referenced in the Contours song "Do you love me",(1962), with the line: "Do you like it like this".
This song is excerpted in the novelty number "Berlin Top Ten" (1961), by Buchanan and Goodman, when Boris the spinner, the people's disc jockeys intones "You've got to like it like that" as the name of the place.
Song use in film
- The song is featured in Stanley Kubrick's 1987 Vietnam war film Full Metal Jacket.
- "I Like It Like That," BMI Repertoire [permanent dead link]
- "Chris Kenner Billboard Singles". Allmusic. Retrieved December 20, 2010.
- Whitburn, Joel (2004). Top R&B/Hip-Hop Singles: 1942-2004. Record Research. p. 320.
- "The Dave Clark Five Billboard Singles". Allmusic. Retrieved December 20, 2010.
- "HULLABALOO: November 29, 1965" - (color episode), retrieved 2021-02-15