I Love College
|"I Love College"|
|Single by Asher Roth|
|from the album Asleep in the Bread Aisle|
|Released||January 13, 2009 (US)
February 23, 2009 (Australia)
April 27, 2009 (UK)
|Format||Digital download, CD single|
|Genre||Pop rap, hip hop|
|Label||Schoolboy, SRC, Universal Motown|
|Songwriter(s)||Asher Roth, Mike Caren, Ben H. Allen|
|Producer(s)||Mike Caren, Apathy and Ben H. Allen|
|Asher Roth singles chronology|
"I Love College" is a song by American hip hop recording artist Asher Roth, released on January 13, 2009, as the lead single from his debut album, Asleep in the Bread Aisle (2009). The song, which was produced by Mike Caren, Apathy, and Ben H. Allen, also serves as Roth's commercial debut single, released by Schoolboy, SRC and Universal Motown. The song was later serviced for Airplay to radio stations in the United Kingdom, on April 27, 2009.
The song is related to the time spent at West Chester University. The song originally sampled "Say It Ain't So", as performed by American rock band Weezer, but was reworked by Ben H. Allen, as it is believed that their lead singer Rivers Cuomo refused to clear the sample. The song also samples "10% Dis", as performed by MC Lyte.
The music video was directed by Jonathan Lia and Scooter Braun. It was released to online outlets in early February. The video is set at a house party of the fictional Alpha Sigma Eta (ΑΣΗ) fraternity, and features activities such as binge drinking, smoking marijuana, strip poker, beer pong and "pieing" and there is a replica WWE championship in the background.
Remixes and other versions
A remix was produced for the LOUD.COM Producers Challenge in partnership with SRC, Asher's record label. The remix was produced by J Cardim and features beatboxer Chesney Snow. The actual beat is entirely beatbox created by Chesney Snow. The track was released via Loud.com and YouTube.
"I Love College" first appeared on the Billboard charts at number 85 on the Pop 100 in late February, then presently at number 55 on the Billboard Hot 100. The song eventually peaked at number 19 on the Pop 100 and number 12 on the Hot 100. The song sold over one-million downloads in the United States in twelve weeks of release. It peaked at number 26 in the United Kingdom and at number 53 in Canada.
|Austrian Singles Chart||71|
|Canadian Hot 100||53|
|German Singles Chart||58|
|Irish Singles Chart||45|
|UK Singles (Official Charts Company)||26|
|UK R&B (Official Charts Company)||8|
|U.S. Billboard Hot 100||12|
|U.S. Billboard Bubbling Under R&B/Hip-Hop Singles||16|
|US Alternative Songs (Billboard)||34|
|US Hot Rap Songs (Billboard)||18|
|US Mainstream Top 40 (Billboard)||27|
|US Billboard Hot 100||73|
- [dead link]
- "I Love College". Aria Charts. Retrieved January 20, 2014.
- "Radio 1 - Playlist". BBC. 2007-02-24. Archived from the original on April 19, 2010. Retrieved 2010-11-11.
- Crosley, Hillary (2009-02-05). "MC Asher Roth Readying Major-Label Debut". Billboard. Nielsen Business Media, Inc. Retrieved 2009-03-05.
- Markman, Rob (2008-11-18). "Weezer Frontman Refuses To Clear Asher Roth Single". XXL. Harris Publications, Inc. Archived from the original on 2009-03-18. Retrieved 2009-04-21.
- "Asher Roth's I Love College Sample of MC Lyte's 10% Dis". WhoSampled. Retrieved 2013-09-27.
- "Asher Roth Follows Up 'MCs To Watch' List With New Record, Video". MTV. February 9, 2009.
- Loud.com producers challenge 2009
- Klappholz, Adam. "Asher Roth Can't Decide Between Women and Tuna Sandwiches | VF Daily". Vanity Fair. Retrieved 2010-11-11.
- Courtesy of: VoodooChild. "That's That...: Asher Roth and Ludacris - "I Love College Remix"". Thatsthatish.com. Retrieved 2010-11-11.
- Spring Break 2009 Performer: Asher Roth
- "Week Ending April 19, 2009: She's The Youngest To Ever Do It - Chart Watch". New.music.yahoo.com. Retrieved 2010-11-11.
-  Archived June 3, 2009, at the Wayback Machine.
- "Information Not Found". Billboard.com. Retrieved 2010-11-11.
- "VIVA.tv". VIVA.tv. Retrieved 2010-11-11.
- ">> IRMA << Irish Charts - Singles, Albums & Compilations >>". Irma.ie. 2010-11-04. Archived from the original on April 17, 2005. Retrieved 2010-11-11.
- "Official Singles Chart Top 100". Official Charts Company.
- "Official R&B Singles Chart Top 40". Official Charts Company.
- Asleep in the Bread Aisle singles chart peaks at Allmusic.
- "Bubbling Under R&B/Hip-Hop Singles – I Love College".
- "Asher Roth Chart History (Alternative Songs)" Billboard. Retrieved December 6, 2013.
- "Asher Roth Chart History (Hot Rap Songs)" Billboard. Retrieved December 6, 2013.
- "Asher Roth Chart History (Pop Songs)" Billboard. Retrieved December 6, 2013.
- "Year End Charts - Year-end songs - The Billboard Hot 100". Billboard. Retrieved November 11, 2010.