I Love Dick (TV series)
|I Love Dick|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||1|
|No. of episodes||8 (list of episodes)|
|Running time||32 minutes|
|Original network||Amazon Video|
|Picture format||1080i (16:9 HDTV)|
|Original release||August 19, 2016– May 12, 2017|
I Love Dick is an American television series released on Amazon Video. It is based on the novel of the same name by Chris Kraus. It was created by Jill Soloway and Sarah Gubbins. The pilot premiered on August 19, 2016, and the first season was released on May 12, 2017. On January 17, 2018, the series was canceled after one season.
Chris (Kathryn Hahn) is an unsuccessful New York City-based artist and filmmaker who accompanies her husband Sylvère (Griffin Dunne) to Marfa, Texas where Sylvère is taking up a research fellowship. Upon arrival in Marfa, Chris quickly becomes infatuated with Sylvère's fellowship sponsor Dick (Kevin Bacon). Her infatuation with Dick becomes articulated in un-delivered letters to him which are filled with unbounded sexually explicit desires. Her contentious and frustrating interactions with Dick as well as the writing of her confessional letters to him begin to affect her attitudes towards her marriage, work and confidence as an artist and person.
- Kevin Bacon as Dick
- Kathryn Hahn as Chris Kraus
- Griffin Dunne as Sylvère Lotringer
- Roberta Colindrez as Devon
- Lily Mojekwu as Paula
- India Menuez as Toby
- Sebastian Cole as Lawrence
- Erik Alvarez as Sonny
- Leo Lungaro as Rod
- Rochelle Robinson as Helen
|No.||Title||Directed by||Written by||Original release date|
|1||"Pilot"||Jill Soloway||Teleplay by : Sarah Gubbins||August 19, 2016|
|2||"The Conceptual Fuck"||Kimberly Peirce||Sarah Gubbins||May 12, 2017|
|3||"Scenes from a Marriage"||Andrea Arnold||Heidi Schreck||May 12, 2017|
|4||"Ilinx"||Andrea Arnold||Carla Ching||May 12, 2017|
|5||"A Short History of Weird Girls"||Jill Soloway||Annie Baker & Heidi Schreck||May 12, 2017|
|6||"This Is Not a Love Letter"||Jim Frohna||Esti Giordani & Diona Reasonover||May 12, 2017|
|7||"The Barter Economy"||Andrea Arnold||Dara Resnik||May 12, 2017|
|8||"Cowboys and Nomads"||Andrea Arnold||Sarah Gubbins & Heidi Schreck||May 12, 2017|
I Love Dick has been met with generally positive reviews from critics. The review aggregator website Rotten Tomatoes gives the series an approval rating of 84%, based on 45 reviews, with an average rating of 7.79/10. The site's critical consensus reads, "Adult in the best way, I Love Dick expands the scope of its source material while offering smart, provocative, and funny observations on sexuality and gender roles." Critical aggregator website Metacritic awarded season one a score of 73, denoting "generally favorable" reviews.
Awards and nominations
|2018||75th Golden Globe Awards||Best Performance by an Actor in a Television Series - Musical or Comedy||Nominated|
|8th Guild of Music Supervisors Awards||Best Music Supervision in a Television Musical or Comedy||Nominated|||
|22nd Satellite Awards||Best Actress in a Musical or Comedy Series||Nominated|
- Lowman, Rob (May 5, 2017). "How Amazon's 'I Love Dick' examines a woman's Bacon obsession". Los Angeles Daily News. Retrieved May 7, 2017.
- Andreeva, Dominic Patten,Nellie (January 18, 2018). "'One Mississippi', 'I Love Dick' & 'Jean-Claude Van Johnson' Canceled By Amazon". Deadline. Retrieved January 18, 2018.
- "I Love Dick: Season 1". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved June 27, 2017.
- "I Love Dick critic reviews". Metacritic.com. May 12, 2017. Retrieved June 27, 2017.
- Fernandez, Maria Elena. "Kevin Bacon Wants to Return to Will & Grace". Vulture. Retrieved 30 December 2017.
- "Sufjan Stevens, 'Greatest Showman,' 'Girls' Among Guild of Music Supervisors Awards Nominees". Variety. January 11, 2018. Retrieved January 12, 2018.