I Love NY (2015 film)
|I Love NY|
|Directed by||Radhika Rao
|Produced by||Bhushan Kumar
I Love NY, also known as I Love New Year, is an Indian romantic comedy film directed by Radhika Rao and Vinay Sapru starring Sunny Deol and Kangana Ranaut in lead roles. The film is produced by Bhushan Kumar and Krishan Kumar under the banner of Super Cassettes Industries Ltd. The film was extensively shot in Mumbai, New York City and Bangkok. The main plot was taken from the Russian romantic comedy The Irony of Fate (1976). After numerous delays, the film released on 10 July 2015.
- Sunny Deol as Randhir Singh
- Kangana Ranaut as Tikku Verma
- Tannishtha Chatterjee as Riya
- Prem Chopra as Randhir's Father
- Reema Lagoo as Tikku's adopted mother (cameo appearance)
- Navin Chowdhary as Ishaan
- Maya Alagh
- Manoj Joshi as one of Randir's Friend (cameo appearance)
- Jiten Mukhi
- Virag Mishra
The movie follows a beautiful musician (Kangana Ranaut) and a serious Wall Street banker (Sunny Deol), that have a chance encounter on New Year's Eve that the banker can't seem to remember and the events that come about as a result of the two meeting.
In 2011 directors Radhika Rao and Vinay Sapru announced their intent to begin work on I Love New Year. The film originally had the working title of Happy New Year, but had to change the title due to Shahrukh Khan who also was using the title for a film he was working on during the same time period. Actors Sunny Deol and Kangana Ranaut are starring in the film, with Ranaut stating that she trained over a month in order to gain the correct expressions and body language of a musician. Filming commenced in summer of 2011 at Filmalaya Studios in Mumbai, with the final scenes having to be filmed in New York City.
|I Love NY|
|Soundtrack album by Mayur Puri, Sayeed Quadri, and Falak Shabir|
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
Music composed by: Pritam Chakraborty
|1.||"Halki Halki"||Mayur Puri||Shaan, Tulsi Kumar||5:02|
|2.||"Gud Naal Ishaq Meetha"||Mayur Puri||Tochi Raina||3:27|
|3.||"Aaja Meri Jaan"||Mayur Puri||Mauli Dave||5:14|
|4.||"Aao na"||Sayeed Quadri||Sonu Nigam||5:20|
|5.||"Judaai"||Falak Shabir||Falak Shabir||4:31|
Release and reception
Originally planned for release in April 2013, it was delayed on numerous occasions. In June 2015, the female lead, Ranaut issued a legal notice to the producers of the film to attempt to stop the film's release as she felt that they were "cashing in on her recent box office success". Bhushan Kumar of T-Series responded that the rights had been sold to distributor Wave Cinema over 18 months ago and as Ranaut was not "an Intellectual Property Rights (IPR) member of the film", the producers did not need her permission. The film released on 10 July 2015.
The film received generally negative reviews. Nishi Tiwari of Rediff.com wrote in a 1 out of 5 stars review that the film was "criminally unremarkable", criticising the story, and Deol's acting as he felt he wasn't a good fit for a romantic comedy. Troy Ribeiro of NDTV gave the film 2 out of 5 stars, commenting the plot was "silly and far-fetched", and that Deol was miscast. Ribeiro pointed to Ranaut's performance as being the highlight of the film stating that she played her character with conviction. Filmfare reviewer Rachit Gupta gave the film 3 out of 5 stars criticising the film's "mish-mash of sentimentality, annoying characters and clichéd rom com developments". Gupta also felt that Deol and Ranaut as a pair was a miscast, with Deol particularly not gelling as a romantic comedy lead. He also felt that the music was forgettable. However Gupta did praise Ranaut who he commented was the highlight of the film as "She’s quite literally too good to be in this film".
- The Irony of Fate, the original Soviet film.
- "I Love NY". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 17 July 2015.
- "Sunny Pachi Deol To Romance Kangana Ranaut Khan in I <3 NY". BoxOffice India. 22 February 2012.
- "I LOVE NEW YEAR: Sunny Pachi Deol to tickle audience's funny bone". Yahoo India. Retrieved 11 February 2013.
- D'Souza, Martin. "I LOVE NY Movie Review : I loved I LOVE NY. You may too. Give it a try.". Glamsham. Retrieved 11 July 2015.
- "Shah Rukh, Salman's title tussle". Times of India. Retrieved 11 February 2013.
- "Sunny Deol gears up for 'I Love New Year'". Times of India. Retrieved 11 February 2013.
- "Kangana Ranaut, a music teacher in I Love New Year". Indian Express. Retrieved 11 February 2013.
- "I Love New Year Shoot in progress". Box Office India. Retrieved 11 February 2013.
- "Last schedule for I Love New Year". Indian Express. Retrieved 11 February 2013.
- "Kangana Ranaut sends legal notice to T-Series to block the release of ‘I Love NY’". The Indian Express. 25 June 2015. Retrieved 17 July 2015.
- "Rights of ‘I Love NY’ were sold more than 18 months ago: Bhushan Kumar on Kangana Ranaut’s legal notice". The Indian Express. 24 June 2015. Retrieved 17 July 2015.
- "Review: I Love NY, a great disservice to New Year's Eve and New York". Rediff.com. 10 July 2015. Retrieved 17 July 2015.
- "I Love NY Movie Review". NDTV. 11 July 2015. Retrieved 17 July 2015.
- "Movie review: I Love New Year". Filmfare. 11 July 2015. Retrieved 17 July 2015.