I Love Trouble (1948 film)
|I Love Trouble|
|Directed by||S. Sylvan Simon|
|Produced by||S. Sylvan Simon|
|Written by||Roy Huggins (novel The Double Take)|
|Music by||George Duning|
|Cinematography||Charles Lawton, Jr.|
|Edited by||Al Clark|
|Distributed by||Columbia Pictures|
I Love Trouble is a 1948 American film noir mystery film written by Roy Huggins from his first novel The Double Take, directed by S. Sylvan Simon, and starring Franchot Tone as Stuart Bailey. The character of Stuart Bailey was later portrayed by Efrem Zimbalist, Jr. in the television series 77 Sunset Strip.
A wealthy politician, Ralph Johnston, hires detective Stuart Bailey to investigate his missing wife's background. Bailey discovers that the wife had been a dancer under her maiden name of Jane Breeger and had left her Oregon home town with Buster Buffin, a nightclub entertainer, who says Jane changed her name to Janie Joy and enrolled at UCLA. Buffin is killed before Bailey can question him further.
Norma Shannon shows up, looking for her sister Jane, but when Bailey shows her a photograph of the missing woman, Norma says it's not her. Bailey learns that the wife had used stolen papers from a girlfriend to enter college after she stole $40,000 from the club where she worked, owned by a man named Keller.
The detective eventually learns that Johnston had killed his wife when he had himself discovered her past, in order to avoid a scandal, and that he had hired the detective in order to frame him for the killing.
- Franchot Tone as Stuart Bailey
- Janet Blair as Norma Shannon
- Janis Carter as Mrs. Caprillo aka Jane Breeger aka Janie Joy
- Adele Jergens as Boots Nestor
- Glenda Farrell as Hazel Bixby
- Steven Geray as Keller
- Tom Powers as Ralph Johnston
- Lynn Merrick as Mrs. Johnston
- John Ireland as Reno
- Eduardo Ciannelli as John Vega Caprillo
- Robert Barrat as Lt. Quint
- Raymond Burr as Herb
- Arthur Space as Sgt. Muller
- Keaney, Michael F. (2003). Film Noir Guide, 745 Films of the Classic Era, 1940-1959 (illustrated ed.). McFarland. p. 541. ISBN 9780786415472.
- "Stuart Bailey". thrillingdetective.com. Thrilling Detective. Retrieved 2009-05-06.
- "I Love Trouble". citwf.com. Complete Index To World Film. Retrieved 2009-05-06.
- "77 Sunset Strip". Thrilling Detective. pp. thrillingdetective.com. Retrieved 2009-05-06.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to I Love Trouble (1948 film).|